• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Whole Pod Dehydrating

I've had good luck drying my pods whole. I have a huge 10 tray dehydrator. A few months ago I did a bunch of habanero, ghost, jalapeno, de arbol, cayenne, hot hungarian wax and I ground them up in a coffee grinder when they were done. I had all 10 trays full and this yielded me 1 1/2 of the large spice containers. Need to dry some more since I'm almost out.

ok guys question for you....

drying whole does it shoots less "toxic" fumes than cut in half or it's similar?

anyone tried dried seeds to see if they grow after???

ok guys question for you....

drying whole does it shoots less "toxic" fumes than cut in half or it's similar?

anyone tried dried seeds to see if they grow after???

If the seeds were heated more than 150 F, forget about them, they cooked. I dried all my pods whole but I assume that there is more ''toxic'' fumes when you cut them in half.

Thinking logically, many plants in the wild are subjected to 115f temps and the seeds are still viable. Color-wise, the lower temp the pods can be dried, the better the color retention. If color retention and viability are not issues....dry 'em as fast as you can!

About toxic fumes.....use the stove ventilation hood, put a fan in the window...... WHATEVER is necessary... Bathroom vent fan ducting duct taped to the top of the dehydrator and vented out the window...... ghetto gear is GOOD! :lol:

ok thanks. im drying whole pods at 125-130F with my new (used) bought excalibur dehydrator

i only make them dry during day not to have surprise during night whilei sleep.
i think it will take me about 3 or 4 days (of 12 hrs of drying) for whole pods.
smeel good but a bit spicy.

seems that my peach ghost dry faster than my douglah x butch T

Back