• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Who's got the Q woikin'?

LUCKYDOG said:
Like the Stephen King Novel :rolleyes:

That is a nice rig. Do you use propane to start the coals? or as a warming stage area type of thing.
Are you a member of any Q'ing boards? I have been going on and off going to http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/ for awhile, bunch of great guys and gals there that are in comps and catering the Q knowledge there is top notch IMO

Yup- you can't see it in the pic, but propane fires the charcoal in a basket, it is dumped in a side bin and shoveled under the meats.

Damn Blue, that's one hell of a rig.

We did some steaks, sausage and stuffed jalapenos last night. Just on the Weber. There was a storm front coming in so wee had to be quick ( although I've been known to move operations under the carport if need be).

Sunday I hope to fire up the smoker for some chicken and maybe pork.

Here's some recent images:
slobberba4.jpg

The ones on the left were bbq-ed with Sweet Sunshine sauce, the ones on the bottom right have Dave's Zesty Blend, and the ones above that are plain:
sunshineex8.jpg

BigDawg said:
Great looking chicken IGG...nice touch with the "Slobber Sauce"

Feel free to steal that image for your site if you wish, just give me credit :lol: . Ya, I did that for the review of your sauce that is coming up this week.

Wind has finally stopped blowing here in LV. The dang' same wind that knocked the tops off of my jalapeno and tomato plants. Oh well...they're plenty stressed now. Babybacks are headed to the smoker!

From last nights grilling season, I was just coking for myself and didn't want to do anything fancy. I did two cuts of filet mignon and a potato.

Coals at night look soo cool:
coalssj0.jpg

MEAT!
coals2fg8.jpg

MEEEEEEAAAAATTTTT!!!!
coals3he1.jpg

Ah, it makes me weep. I've been trapped in the hell that is a southern England winter for what seems like an age. Come on summer............

Got the smoker fired up again....chicken leg quarters and sausage for tonight and a couple pork butts that will smoke overnight for tomorrow...woot!
img00112vg.jpg

I use mostly pecan and I scavenge a lot of it around here after a big storm. Just drive by houses in the right neighborhood and there it is stacked out by the street for me! It pays to own a chainsaw!

I have been known to use hickory, mesquite and oak as well.

The butts have been shredded and mostly consumed so they're not too photogenic at this point! I'll shoot some pixs next time.

I can feel it coming...

Brisket season!

Gotta' tell ya' Chuk, being a Texan and all I know how some in Texas can be a bit uppity about the meat, i.e. if'n it ain't beef then it ain't bbq. Nice to know another Texan with good taste who likes a good rack of babybacks or porkbutt! I'll have some Q pics by this weekend.

Reminds me of the pulled pork with vinegar based sauce. Hash and rice from the Carolinas. I played hell xplaining to the local hardheads in the hood that pork is excellente'.

Back