• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Who's NOT doing turkey?

Hey ya'll..as there will be just myself and Mrs. TB and the bluesdog Missylou, we will not be doing a big honkin' turkey. My gal opted for game hen and me a whole duck. Picked up some asparagus and gorgeous new red potatos along with an assortment of cheeses and other wam wam's and zuzu's. The hen I'll roast, but the duck..ah the duck. I may marinade and smoke the breast and make confit from the rest. Confit is more or less deep frying the duck in its own fat. Very bad on the arterial shit-o-meter but pinup of the month for taste factor. Tres bon!

So who else is NOT cooking the traditional turkey?

Remember to post pics on T-day!

Cheers, ya'll. TB.

We will not be going traditional. Our first thanksgiving on thursday at the inlaws will be smoked not baked. The second one on saturday at my parents is done with meat pies and homemade honey smoked ham, mmmmmmm.

doing the turkey thing, come on whats not to like about turkey ? that crisp skin dipped in the fat in bottom of pan mmmmmmmm thats some good stuff :whistle:

2 years ago (or was it 3 ? I forget) I cooked up a deer ham (back leg) for everyone that came over. turned out pretty good.

We're doing a smoked turkey again this year, but a couple of years ago we decided to 'go' to a different country for thanksgiving, so we did a full on no-holds-barred fiesta.....complete with very authentic recipes and music.

Not doing Turkey seeing I be doing smoke Turkey all summer long.Do not know what we will do but it will be done on the Grill/Smoker. Will do the Sweet Yams and Punkin pie.
Dan

In Germany the "Erntedankfest" usually is on first Sunday in October but that varies a bit. And no, there's no turkey.

texas blues said:
Very bad on the arterial shit-o-meter but pinup of the month for taste factor. Tres bon!

Those are some graphic measuring units! I like'em!:D

That was my fourth bottle now!

well, i'm not doing turkey---as in "wild", but for some reason, sitting on my desk this morning, is a whiskey drink i didn't quite drink night before last, before i had to go to the dentist the next day......ugh.......so as i sat here this morning, i took a sip....yum thats tastes good at 7:30am, moments after getting out of bed. i think i better make a fresh one with ice since that ones gone....oh yeah, the new stuff is even better. i'm getting to know my ole buddy jim beam pretty well this morning. hmmmm, is the sleeping "turkey cooker" going to be pissed if im "pissed" before 10am. i doubt it, it will keep me out of her hair(or in) and out of the kitchen........MAYBE????? its not that this is typical at all for me to be drinking at 8 in the morning, but hey, i used to be an engineer on a commercial salmon fish boat in alaska, and the clock seems to dissapear during fishing season; and so midnight might very well be morning, which means 8am could be the same as 5or6 pm (((aka happy hour)) wahoo, lets be happy. yep, i'm going to be in trouble allright. its time for drink 3 and seeing it is the day we celebrate ((in the good" ole USA)) the beggining of the "screwing of the indiginous peoples" and eat god awful amounts of turkey; i might as well make my next drink out of "wild turkey" in reverence to turkey day. kind of like bumpmg from a xalapeno to a bulgarian carrot......i don't really buy WT anymore, but some nice soul seemed to have left some after a party for just such an occasion. the violator just happens to share my birthday, 7/18/19?? only 25 years later than mine. thanks jeremy, thats some strong shit. ok, yep well, as long as i talked about fish, i might as well ask a pepper question. a friend last summer gave me a fish pepper start. what a beautiful plant. what i've read says it was brought to the philly/baltimore area and used while eating fish----BUT HOW WAS/IS IT USED with fish. can anyone here shed some light for me? do you make a dry rub, eat fresh with a fish bite, make a sauce, and etc.....i just don't know. so before i go to drink #5, i best go fire up my sauna and sweat this crap out of me. my sweet "turkey cooker" is still asleep and maybe i can sauna up and be nice and clean for my lovely wife before she know i'm snonkered(i make BIG drinks)). so hope all you turkeys have a great day and you keep yourselves out of trouble. don't be obnoxious to your partner/wife/hubby and smooch he or she up well. thanks for putting up with me and peace to each and all------texas bob

imaguitargod said:
We are absolutely broke. So there for we will be gathered around tuna fish sandwatches for the "holy day".

Oh yeah almost forgot,

:throws IGG a turkey leg:

Glad your mom's gonna be ok man.

Hey Tex me and the wife were visiting washington in august from cali and only made to anacortes but considering a move to bellingham. any advice likes or dislikes of bellingham? and is it difficult to set up a greenhouse for the peppers? Happy Turkey Day

Well i`m doing a rib eye and a tater with some bread.Football,beer and a quiet house! lol wifes off with her family doing the turkey thing.

Great you are getting back to the grill Brian, love your pics.

I got too busy to take pics but the duck and game hen were tres bon. I have heaps of duck fat for making confit with the legs and thighs this weekend. For that I will take pics. The duck breast with the thai chili cream sauce was so good I douched it on the roasted spuds, asparagus and the roasted garlic buns. I am so stuffed I can hear myself getting fatter.

Cheers, TB.

Fam make the turkey and all that, I made my infamous stuffing with Italian bread/Corn bread mix with Italian hot sausage/country sausage mixed, and lots of other good stuff...celery, fresh herbs, rasins, etc.

All organic if I could help it. ALso made a traditional German Potato salad w/ sweet/sour brined potatos and tons of bacon. Served warm.

Good times. :D

Back