• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why will it not grow?

NIbbles said:
how far down should the soil be dry when I water? 2-3 inches?

I gotta be honest...  I don't use the "how far down" test.  I find it to be unnecessarily arbitrary and subjective, and altogether confusing.  If this were as easy as sticking a toothpick in a pan of brownies, it would be awesome.  But, variables... *sigh*

Water your plants when they look like they need it AND when the pots feel lighter than the last time you watered.  If they look like they need it, but the pots aren't light, don't do it.  You'll get the hang of it quickly.  

Like solid7 says, If the container is light then it needs water, if it feels heavy it's fine. The soil should feel cool and moist but not such that water can be squeezed from it. The soil should also be easy for your finger to penetrate, if it isn't you will slow the root growth.

NIbbles said:

it is granulated. What do you use? I have never used liquid before. would you say it is better?

I wasn't really going there.  To be honest, in light of the fact that you may be having overwatering issues, I'd have to say, no, it's not better.  At least not until you get that problem solved first.

I was asking because that is a pretty strong fert.  How often does the package say to apply?  What brand is it?

thanks on the water tips! sorry for asking so many questions. does picking ripe peppers increase ripening? and what is the best way to store them dry or frozen. I just hate how mushy they get when frozen.

solid7 said:

I wasn't really going there.  To be honest, in light of the fact that you may be having overwatering issues, I'd have to say, no, it's not better.  At least not until you get that problem solved first.

I was asking because that is a pretty strong fert.  How often does the package say to apply?  What brand is it?

it says to use every 10 days to 2 weeks. my mom put it in a different container and just put the instructions on it so I do not know what brand it is

I do understand that I need to fix My watering Issue first. I was just wondering about fertilizer for the future

NIbbles said:

it says to use every 10 days to 2 weeks. my mom put it in a different container and just put the instructions on it so I do not know what brand it is

Is that a handwritten instruction to use that often?  Also, is it powder (fast release) or is it larger particles (slow release)?

NIbbles said:
I do understand that I need to fix My watering Issue first. I was just wondering about fertilizer for the future

Liquid ferts are no better or worse, they're just different.  As long as the fertilizer has everything that that plant needs, then one is as good as the next.  Liquid ferts have their place, and so do dry.  For most people, the convenience of dry ferts is king.  For others, liquids are a reliable way to keep a constant flow of full strength nutrients.  Particularly useful to combat soil leaching.  Also, liquids are immediately available.

NIbbles said:
it is not hand written and it has smaller particles. it says 1tbs per gallon of water

It sounds like it's a water soluble fert.  If you want to keep using that one, I might suggest that you cut the dosage.  (like by 1/2 or maybe even 3/4)   A lot of those fast acting, high NPK fertilizers are meant to be dumped into lawns...  Where they flow right through rather quickly.  I can't think of a single case where I'd ever want to use such a high NPK in such a small container.

NIbbles said:

it is granulated. What do you use? I have never used liquid before. would you say it is better?

calculate ppm N. 
dissolve granular fertilizer in water. 
check pH.
check EC.  

feed the plant everyday.  if EC value is too high, flush the salt with water.

lek said:

calculate ppm N. 
check pH.
check EC.  

right now i do not have a soil tester but i really want one. which one do you use?

lek said:

calculate ppm N. 
check pH.
check EC.  

I thought you always used to say that you only used amino acids and biostimulants.  Where is all this coming from?  :shocked:  :?:

I'm so confused right now...

NIbbles said:

right now i do not have a soil tester but i really want one. which one do you use?
any accurate pH meter / EC meter will get the job done. 

solid7 said:

I thought you always used to say that you only used amino acids and biostimulants.  Where is all this coming from?  :shocked:  :?:

I'm so confused right now...
because he uses chemical fertilizer so i tell him how to use it. that's all.

is there a geat topic or website were i could learn about amino acids and bio-stimulants and all that other stuff?

NIbbles said:
is there a geat topic or website were i could learn about amino acids and bio-stimulants and all that other stuff?

That is a really great question. 

Is there, lek? ;)

Back