• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why will it not grow?

`
A very possible reason is transpiration,

Plants frequently wilt in hot weather, allowing both leaves and flowers to droop, sometimes to an alarming degree. Wilting occurs when the pace at which plant leaves dispel moisture into the air, in a process called transpiration, outpaces the ability of plant roots to supply enough water. Like human perspiration, plant transpiration is in part a self-protective mechanism plants use to survive excessive heat.

If your plants look fine at daybreak I'd suspect this is the issue. If plant looks fine in AM, agree with below, keep checking weight until plant looks wilted in AM then water thoroughly.

Winegums said:
Like solid7 says, If the container is light then it needs water, if it feels heavy it's fine.
Hope this helps! NECM

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
A very possible reason is transpiration,

Plants frequently wilt in hot weather, allowing both leaves and flowers to droop, sometimes to an alarming degree. Wilting occurs when the pace at which plant leaves dispel moisture into the air, in a process called transpiration, outpaces the ability of plant roots to supply enough water. Like human perspiration, plant transpiration is in part a self-protective mechanism plants use to survive excessive heat.

If your plants look fine at daybreak I'd suspect this is the issue. If plant looks fine in AM, agree with below, keep checking weight until plant looks wilted in AM then water thoroughly.

Hope this helps! NECM

`

i already knew about transpiration, but not about this causing wilt. thankyou!

Should have been here in 2017 before solid7 earned a vacation, pure gold!

What was really pure gold, was when you thought I was on a permanent vacation - complete with smack talk on me, in my absence, and all - but then I came back.  How'd that happen?  :metal:

I'm a nice guy and (typically) take the high road.  If you want to be on a vendetta, and not regard some forum BS-ing, or information sharing/bantering/whatever-ing, as anything but exactly what it is, that's your perogative. ;)

By the way, my vacation was amazing.  But I'm vacationed out, and here to stay.  

solid7 said:
I'm a nice guy and (typically) take the high road.
`
I'll let your own words respond to this.
`
solid7 said:
Wow, aren't you a proper piece of work...
That's a nice way of saying that you're a dick.  I don't think there was any response that should have triggered your little episode right there.  Call your doctor, and tell him/her that it's happening again.
`
That was just before your forced vaca in early '17. And that wasn't a response to me. Of course, there was this where you did address me.
`
charlie5heen said:
I've heard that stressing your pepper plants can increase the capsaicin content of your chilies, I would like to know if you've personally found this to be true and what methods/techniques do you follow to increase heat?
solid7 said:
But the few peppers that you get, are going to be hotter.
That's what the OP asked, I'm sure he's happy you agree!
solid7 said:
I'm sorry that you like to limit discussion, Mr/Ms. Passive-Aggressive.  Since I'm not you, and you're not me, it's not fair for either of us to assume what somebody else may or may not want to know, should there be other facets to a particular matter, that they may or may not be privy to.

From here on out, we can have an agreement, where you are the authoritative truth, and I'm the tangent maker.  If that pleases you, of course, your Highness...  (and by "highness", I mean  :high: )
1hookchase.gif

Name calling, condescension & accusations of drug use? I've been baited by much better than yourself...
solid7 said:
Yes, I know you have.
`
Keep tickling the keyboard....I'll keep quoting....You've left plenty of material!

`

It's nice to be loved and obsessed over.  Clearly, I've endeared myself to you, to the point of cyber-stalking.  I'm honored, and J Edgar Hoover would be proud. :D

Mind you, I said that I'm "typically" a nice guy - not "always".  But I did my vacation time.  Owned up to my past sins, did my time in the bin, and then moved on.  So what do you have to say about that?  Are you still stuck somewhere back on the low road, circa 2017?  In your time here, is that what matters to you - settling old scores, harboring grudges, and teaching lessons where you think they need to be taught?  (that could be viewed as being deliberately contentious with other members)  

I'd hate to think that you were being contentious.  You seem to be a fairly well-liked member of the community.  And of course, being deliberately contentious - especially without provocation - would be a violation of the forum rules.  Further, it's unbecoming of a fine upstanding member, such as yourself. ;)

Okay, I'm in. Just ordered a 2OZ bag of L-amino acids to try out on a few struggling plants. By no means will my trial be scientific in any way and I don't plan to report back often on this unless the guys really take off. Said chili plants are in 7 gallon fabric pots, approximately 70% Pro-Mix HP, 10% worm castings and 20% G&B Blue Ribbon organic purchased bulk from local nursery. I rolled in some seabird guano, nitro bat guano, rock dust, kelp meal and soft rock phosphate into the mix. No exact measurements of the aforementioned nutrients. I alternate weekly feedings with either Neptune harvest or Alaska fish w/ added kelp meal one week and the next I water with my home brew aerated compost tea. All seedlings were wetted and rolled in Extreme Gardening Mykos prior to transplanting and hardened over a weeks time using varying degrees of shade/full sun. I drip water from a carbon filtered(low to no chlorine) system at about a quart per week give or take depending on the container weight. All containers are top dressed with straw, grass clippings, leaves from the yard, etc. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The two plants in question are a black viper and if memory serves a datil. Both ordered from Jim Duffy as seedlings. I received eight seedling(two each or four varieties) in the order and all but two are thriving and in the explosive growth period. All are doing very well except the two runts. No out of the ordinary pest pressure that I can find and I do give a biweekly prophylactic misting of pure neem and castile soap at dilution rates listed on the packaging. Said neem is from Plantronics and castile is Dr. Bonners unscented. I will add the L-Amino per label at the lowest dose with weekly nute feed for a month before attempting to form an opinion. I will document weekly growth of said test subjects.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any recommendations are welcome as I will not begin this trial till next weekend nute feed.
In closing, Fire away! I'm ready and don't get butthurt!

Ouch, that's a bit pricey...

It's good to experiment, and I do hope that it works out for you.  But you can get amino acids much cheaper, by mulching, and using fish fertilizer.  (that way you mix plant and animal based aminos) 

Again, I know that this is happening, but $19 for 2 oz is a lot to pay for something that is already in every $11 jug of fish juice.

Good luck.

I would suggest a couple people in here use the ignore list function. Because if the mods keeps having to be involved there will be penalties.

And for the record solid7, since back from his ban, has been on good behavior. So digging up old posts where he wasn't on his best serves no purpose but to flame. So if you don't personally want to give him a chance, it's easy to ignore. Thanks.

solid7 said:
Ouch, that's a bit pricey...

It's good to experiment, and I do hope that it works out for you.  But you can get amino acids much cheaper, by mulching, and using fish fertilizer.  (that way you mix plant and animal based aminos) 

Again, I know that this is happening, but $19 for 2 oz is a lot to pay for something that is already in every $11 jug of fish juice.

Good luck.
Yes, definitely on the pricey side.

It's likely not something I'll be doing long term as I do like to grow somewhat on the cheap. I had a Amazon gift card laying around from my birthday. And speaking of mulching, I plan to build my self a DIY tumbler from a water barrell as soon as I can source one for a good price.

The fish juice you speak of. Alaska fish? Or something other?

THanks!

jvwilson101 said:

It's likely not something I'll be doing long term as I do like to grow somewhat on the cheap. I had a Amazon gift card laying around from my birthday. And speaking of mulching, I plan to build my self a DIY tumbler from a water barrell as soon as I can source one for a good price.

The fish juice you speak of. Alaska fish? Or something other?

THanks!

Alaska fish or Neptune's Harvest.  Either one.  But I did get much better results from Alaska.  I've since started making my own, and it's as good or better than both.
I don't compost the stuff that I top dress with.  I literally use it as mulch.  It's much better to use compost UNDER mulch, if you don't mix it in.  In fact, all top dress - if it works well - works even better under a good thick mulch.
From earlier this year, and just to show mulch reference;
28077664957_c98cb280e2_o.jpg

Very Nice looking!

Forgive my confusion on the terminology in regards to top dress. I would definately put the compost under the mulch. I did use some hog manure fed worm castings as a compost in my raised bed and then mulched it over with green hay, leaves, grass etc. I am blessed to be an Officer at a Juvenile Forestry/Corrections camp with a full on production veggie/meat/chicken farm that always has an excess of farm goodies.

Thank you.

This was the first year that I've been able to get that really deep, dark, hydro-like green , on an outside plant. (the picture isn't doing justice to how green they really are)  I will update those pictures somewhere, sometime, when I am able. (I'm in NYC at the moment)  But the point being, was that it really has been kicking ass, and I couldn't be more pleased.

For reference:  I mulched about 5-6" thick.  It was so thick, that you can't see the sides of the bed.  Eventually, it reduced to about 2" thick, and I hit it again.  I will continue to do so, over the course of the season.

Besides potting mix, there is nothing in that bed except mulch and fish fert. (with a small starter sprinkle of kelp meal) The pepper plants there are all anuum (cherry peppers) and are now about 3 times that size, loaded to the hilt with pods.

Just wondering... What are the palm fronds for?

Also, if I may. What "potting mix" are you using to fill those beds? Custom blend? Store bought? If custom what products and what ratios? I will be building a few more beds in the fall and don't want to break the bank filling them like I did with the first... 

jvwilson101 said:
Just wondering... What are the palm fronds for?

Reduce wilting.  It's what I like to call, "redneck shadecloth".  I'm not sure that I need it anymore, but it was there for the plants when I first put them out.  I ordered that batch by mail, and they looked like shit when they arrived.  

jvwilson101 said:

avoid low price L-amino acid.  high quality amino acid FOR PLANT is definitely expensive.  the one you bought is for hydroponic.

Back