• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild in Las Vegas 2014 (Hardening off and flowers!!)

So now it's time to make another attempt and hope for a better year.

I didn't want to make a glog this year... but I see many already started. That motivates me to make a glog.

2013 was a year for learning and making mistakes and mostly experiments. Needless to say I found and learned a lot and I know this year is gonna rock!

So let's get started with some pics, and I'll update with th list later today and I'll be visiting glogs in a short while ;) and here's to 2014!!! :cheers:

This is my list so far, and I will update if anything changes.

-CAP 539 (C. Annuum) (Judy)

-Calusa Indian Mound (C. Annuum) (Judy)

-Tepin Sonora (C. Annuum) (Mine)

-CAP 501 (C. Chacoense) (Judy)

-CGN 20510 (C. Chacoense) (Judy)

-Cobindo-NMDUC (C. Chacoense) (Judy)

-CGN 20509 (C. Chacoense) (Judy)

-CGN 22869, PI 260429 (C. Chacoense) (Judy)

-CGN 20812/PI 159233 (C. Chinense) (Judy)

-CGN 20800 (C. Chinense) (Judy)

-Wild Brazil (C. Chinense) (Shane)

-Quintisho (C. Chinense) (Justecila)

-Cumari do Para (C. Chinense) (Justecila)

-CAP 691 (C. Chinense) (Judy)

-CGN 24360 (C. Chinense) (Judy)

-CGN 24332 (C. Eximium) (Judy)

-CGN 19198 (C. Eximium) (Judy)

- CGN21502 (C. Eximium) (Judy)

-CGN 22792, PI 260478, Aji Chuncho (C. Frutescence) (Judy)

-Chintextle (C. Annuum) (Spicegeist)

-C. Galapagoense (Spicegeist)

-Pionted Praetermissum (C. Praetermissum) (Judy)

-CAP 1144 (C. Praetermissum) (Judy)

-Goat Pepper: CGN 22794: PI 260595 (C. Praetermissum) (Judy)

-BGH 460, PI 441654 (C. Praetermissum) (Judy)

-Cumari pollux (C. Praetermissum) (Spicegeist)

-Rocopica

-Tepin x Lemon drop F2 (Mike)

-Tepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F2 (Spicegeist)

-Cumari pollux x Donne sali F1 (Spicegeist)

-CAP 501 x Donne sali F1 (Spicegeist)

-Bubblegum 7 Pot (Denniz)

-Pink tiger (Enrico Lai)

-Aribibi gusano (Chiliriot (Spain))

-Walt

Thanks for stopping by :party:

Devv said:
They have nice roots already, are these a hydro grow?
Hey Scott, I would just call it hydro. I mean there's lots of terms and types of hydro so yeah just to stay simple LOL. Just a submersible pump a pipe and a sprinkler head.

Here's how my seedlings are doing. Idk but seems like since I separated them and put them in their own pots they just stopped growing or just slow and the last couple of days I noticed they're starting to take off again :party:

First triple coty seedling :D.

Might need a bump, thanks for stopping by :party:

-Walt

Spicegeist said:

Wow, everything looks great!  I can't wait to see how this and everything turns out!

Very exciting :onfire:
Thanks for stopping by Charles! Glad to read you. I'm very excited about those F1's you sent me I actually sowed them already but no sprouts yet.

Do you know what accession number the galapagoense is? Prodigal asked and I'm also curious.

Those Cumari pollux pics I just posted are from the seeds you sent me. Thanks.

-Walt

Nightshade said:
Here's your bump
Nice plants
Thanks Rob! Ok for the people who followed or knew that I had a bhut plant. Well I didn't have space for it and I gave it to a very good friend and he comes over to my place often. Well a couple of weeks ago he tells me that the bhut plant has a "few" pods forming... well I gave him a visit yesterday and when I saw the plant my first thought was "holy shyt!!". The plant is literally loaded with pods, and how. Well he has a nice room on the second floor of his house with lots of windows. Here's a few pics of the plant I gave him. Oh and this plant was grown part of the time in the aerogarden and part time in DWC and finally to soil and this is one badass plant. Seeds are from Mike (Smokemaster).

Just wanted to share the story with you guys, and he also got some pink tigers germinated, MoA, brown moruga, and a few other nice varieties from.seed I gave him. He's a super cool guy I hope we can meet up sometime with other Vegas chiliheads ;).

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:

Thanks for stopping by Charles! Glad to read you. I'm very excited about those F1's you sent me I actually sowed them already but no sprouts yet.

Do you know what accession number the galapagoense is? Prodigal asked and I'm also curious.

Those Cumari pollux pics I just posted are from the seeds you sent me. Thanks.

-Walt

Oh, good, those are galapagoenses from my seed too?  I wasn't sure.

Accession number, no, sorry, do not know that.  Presumably genetic diversity is greater in wilds (so accession number is of limited value imho), the parent plant was awesome, so do keep it going, share wide and far if it works out for you :party: , that's what I tried to do.

Seedlings in the 'spa'   :rofl:

Glad you found the slime before it took over the bucket!
Your soil seedlings look good.  It's normal for them to slow
down a bit after transplanting while the roots are growing
out to fill the pot.  When the roots touch the sides, they will
really take off!

Happy New Year!

Awesome start brother! Looks like a very nice seed selection you made and all your plants look extremly healthy! Way to go bro. Its good to see some pods on those plants of yours. Keep up the good work!!! Have a great New Year and Happy growing

Nightshade said:
Wow very nice plant!!
We have to organize a vegas chili head meet up sometime next spring hopefully I will have pods by then
Yup, we definitely need to meet up and go to a food joint with some fresh pods or some powder if we don't have fresh. I just potted up my MoA and my BB 7 and about beginning of February or mid January I'm putting them on full veg mode so I might get pods before the heat comes in... we'll see.

Spicegeist said:

Oh, good, those are galapagoenses from my seed too?  I wasn't sure.

Accession number, no, sorry, do not know that.  Presumably genetic diversity is greater in wilds (so accession number is of limited value imho), the parent plant was awesome, so do keep it going, share wide and far if it works out for you :party: , that's what I tried to do.
Cool, no prob. I was just curious LOL. I already send seeds to Spain to a friend and hope he has success and spreads it out too. That's my first thought to spread the seed as best as I can so many can enjoy growing it as well.

PaulG said:
Seedlings in the 'spa'   :rofl:

Glad you found the slime before it took over the bucket!
Your soil seedlings look good.  It's normal for them to slow
down a bit after transplanting while the roots are growing
out to fill the pot.  When the roots touch the sides, they will
really take off!

Happy New Year!
:rofl:

Glad to hear that, I'm actually seeing more and more new growth every day. I hope they take off soon. I got some soil now, so once they're ready they're be rockin good soil and new shoes ready for blast off LOL :D.

megahot said:
Awesome start brother! Looks like a very nice seed selection you made and all your plants look extremly healthy! Way to go bro. Its good to see some pods on those plants of yours. Keep up the good work!!! Have a great New Year and Happy growing
Thanks brother Jon! Hope to get some ripe soon, I want to send some for reviews :party:

-Walt

So yesterday while running some errands I managed to get to the hydro store on time to get some soil. This stuff ain't cheap, but screwing up this season isn't an option for me LOL.

I also wanted to get some nice square pots to save space but I don't really need them ATM.

I also potted up the BB 7 and the MoA. Pics later since I need to take a few and upload.

-Walt

You are right about the Fox Farms cost.  It's great stuff, though.  
I only use their products for transplanting seedlings into cups, and
once in a while in gallons.  When I plant out into the big containers,
I use my own three-part mix to save the cost.

I'm too cheap :D

Well maybe not, my $$ went to the dirt. If I was to container it only I could see the cost. Bottom line whatever works!

Your plants look really healthy, and I wish you a great season this year. I'm hoping you can get them out in the sun during the months before it get crazy hot and get a ton of pods. that's my plan here:)

Have a Happy and prosperous New Years!

Devv said:
I'm too cheap :D

Well maybe not, my $$ went to the dirt. If I was to container it only I could see the cost. Bottom line whatever works!

Your plants look really healthy, and I wish you a great season this year. I'm hoping you can get them out in the sun during the months before it get crazy hot and get a ton of pods. that's my plan here:)

Have a Happy and prosperous New Years!
Thanks Scott, being cheap is the best. Just wish I had my own place to be able to do compost and have a worm farm. You really inspire me to do something like that :)

Happy new years to you too and be safe.

I been remembering what I did last season and what stuff I did and such... I can't believe myself... there's actually many things that I did that I just overlooked.

One was the soil, I first used MG and I loved that soil, and then later on I went for pro mix. I didn't know that pro mix was a "soiless" and needed nutes after 2 or 3 weeks... I only used compost tea thinking that it will hold good enough. Big mistake because there's hardly any organic mater in the mix.

So the MG plants did awesome but didn't produce nothing (high nitrogen I hear). And the pro mix plants did the worst because I believe I didn't feed them enough to keep growing.

I now look at the ingredients in soil and seems that most stuff you can find easy and do it yourself. The problem for me is that I have no idea what works best. Or what's more essential for peppers.

PaulG said:
You are right about the Fox Farms cost.  It's great stuff, though.  
I only use their products for transplanting seedlings into cups, and
once in a while in gallons.  When I plant out into the big containers,
I use my own three-part mix to save the cost.
Brother Paul what's this three part mix you speak of? Lol. I might give it a go and learn how to build soil :D.

Ok so here's the first ones to get the soil.

First off the BB 7. Pics of before and after.

Before I cut it back. It was 5 1/2 feet wide and about 3 1/2 feet tall.

Yesterday before I potted up.

After.

The roots were kinda messed up... it had lots of salt build up and I gave the roots a good rinse before going in the soil...

And here's the MoA.

Happy new years to all the THPers. Be safe

-Walt

Wow very nice rootball and Walter when you get your own place you need to check out A1 organics it's a place up by Nellis base and they collect all the organic matter from around vegas and compost it all to make a VERY good compost. I will be picking up a ton of that to amend my garden bed to be able to plant in ground in a few weeks then hopefully ordering some worms and also getting some stuff to build the soil biological content. I will also be looking into starting my own compost. You need to check out and subscribe to GrowingYourGreens on YouTube he lives and grows in vegas and every one of his videos help me out. It has inspired the techniques I will be using this season.

Happy new year man stay safe out there I will be far far away from the craziness of the strip

Penny said:
Happy New Year.. :dance:
Thanks Penny! :dance:

GA Growhead said:
Serious root ball!
Happy new year!
Thanks Jason! Stay safe :dance:
Nightshade said:
Wow very nice rootball and Walter when you get your own place you need to check out A1 organics it's a place up by Nellis base and they collect all the organic matter from around vegas and compost it all to make a VERY good compost. I will be picking up a ton of that to amend my garden bed to be able to plant in ground in a few weeks then hopefully ordering some worms and also getting some stuff to build the soil biological content. I will also be looking into starting my own compost. You need to check out and subscribe to GrowingYourGreens on YouTube he lives and grows in vegas and every one of his videos help me out. It has inspired the techniques I will be using this season.

Happy new year man stay safe out there I will be far far away from the craziness of the strip
Dudeeeeeee!!! I live right in front of the base! I need to go asap, I can add some.of that to my potted plants and maybe use some for the plot at my cousin's house. If you come by this side hit me up. I have some pots you can take, and we can go together to this place lmk.

Oh and yeah, I stay away from the strip LOL, I hate driving in heavy traffic and the people are too drunk and insane! The Zoo is a thousand times more civilized than the strip on new years eve LOL!!

You too happy new year and take care!

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Thanks Penny! :dance:

Thanks Jason! Stay safe :dance:

Dudeeeeeee!!! I live right in front of the base! I need to go asap, I can add some.of that to my potted plants and maybe use some for the plot at my cousin's house. If you come by this side hit me up. I have some pots you can take, and we can go together to this place lmk.
Oh and yeah, I stay away from the strip LOL, I hate driving in heavy traffic and the people are too drunk and insane! The Zoo is a thousand times more civilized than the strip on new years eve LOL!!
You too happy new year and take care!
-Walt
Yea it's probably around a 15 min drive or so from you. I will let you know when I plan on going. I can't find the video of it but if you ask albertsons or other places they get there old stuff taken by a1

"Brother Paul what's this three part mix you speak of? Lol. I might give it a go and learn how to build soil  :D."

I use equal parts of:
•compost/soil/steer poop (my own compost, recycled potting soil, steer poop from garden store)
•peat or coco (I'm moving toward coco as I use up my bales of peat moss - more sustainable)
•horticutural pumice (buy in bulk at the local landscape supply a half-yard at a time)
Rick told me it is similar to the mix the sq. foot garden guy recommends.  So far it seems to work pretty well.  I do fertilize my plants every two weeks with Alaska fish fertilizer and later in the season some mor-bloom.  I tried some fish/guano mix last year and it seemed to work well.

Good luck, brother Walt!

Back