• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

I'm not talking about controlled hybrids where they can be monitored and only released when they are fully stable and they have not caused any damage to the species. I'm talking about someone trying to create a superhot pepper or someone not isolating them and then not being able to tell if its a cross and passing on seeds. I think its the responsibility of the grower to isolate seed stocks. I do accept the fact that these varieties like you mentioned have extreme benefits that if transferred to another variety through proper hybridization could be a huge benefit to not only big corporations but to the average chili grower like the c. Flexousums cold tolerance allowing short season grower to be able to grow peppers, so I do believe and agree with you prodigal controlled testing by people whether it be us or institutes or whoever could be a great thing as long as you keep isolating a partial amount of your seed stock too.

Wilds should stay wild but there are attributes of the wilds that can help with some that lacking cold hardiness... While im here check out this cool C. Baccatum flower that opened up....

IMAG0589_zps6e7cc8d8.jpg

That is what seed banks are for,well not totally,but you get my drift.You aren't going to see CGN15738 "Yellow Billy Boy Douglah x Ancho Mulato". I still say seed mix ups would cause more issues. You ever see the growth habit and fruit of some(most) wilds? Praetermissums specifically. Or cardenasii and eximium? Almost impossible to see any difference,you have to pick apart how long the teeth are on calyx etc... The benefits of these crosses could outweigh the cons IMO.

Just wish digital cameras were around back in the day when all of the expeditions were made to the amazon and brazil jungles... looking at some of the hand drawn pics of the flowers just doesn't show in contrast what it really looked like as in what color the flowers and the fruits were...

In all seriousness, would anyone like to send me any seeds of some wilds? I've never grown any wilds but have gotten very interested in them over the last couple of weeks. I have alot of super hot seeds if you want to trade.

Thanks
Vincent

WHOO HOOO!
My 4 season old Rumplestiltskin-Rhimboidium has 1 bud on it for the first time.
Plant has always been great/healthy/beautiful but it never even put out a bud.
Don't know why.

But my Galopagoense didn't bud until it's 2nd year either.
It was in Hydro,indoors so it wasn't nutes etc.
It just decided when to bloom when it felt like it.

The Rhimboideum was indoors 2 seasons and out 2 seasons in soil all the time.#15 pot,same soil...

My Rhomboideum I think heard me tell a guy I was going to trash it soon if it didn't bud up soon.
I was going to plant a new seed the day after I saw the bud.
Things happen...

WHOO HOOO!
My 4 season old Rumplestiltskin-Rhimboidium has 1 bud on it for the first time.
Plant has always been great/healthy/beautiful but it never even put out a bud.
Don't know why.

But my Galopagoense didn't bud until it's 2nd year either.
It was in Hydro,indoors so it wasn't nutes etc.
It just decided when to bloom when it felt like it.

The Rhimboideum was indoors 2 seasons and out 2 seasons in soil all the time.#15 pot,same soil...

My Rhomboideum I think heard me tell a guy I was going to trash it soon if it didn't bud up soon.
I was going to plant a new seed the day after I saw the bud.
Things happen...

My Rhomboideum flowered in it's second season but didn't end up producing any pods. Not one. :(

It is dead now but I'm still hopeful I will see pods yet.

(I should probably mention that it has already died twice before now but both times came back to life. ;))

Look at all those pumpkin flowers, so beautiful... Noah, hook a bro up with some poddage....

Ha! I was gonna say how nice Noah's pumpkins look but I thought it might go over most people's heads.... ;)

It had been cut back a few times that year adn then grew on my front porch without much sun so it spread out trying to get as much as possible. Once out back it started growing up.

Ah, that explains it. I'm sitting here thinking how the heck does he make it grow out like that??

Back