• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wind Turbine

"Siemens Develops More Efficient Wind Turbine Blades Based on Dinosaurs!" Cool!
I guess that justifies money spent studying dinos.
The wires and electronics don't require any maintenance but moving parts need to be greased or lubed I plan to take it down during wind storms.
At least you can pull maintance on windy days.

v3solar-pyramid-spin-solar-cell-537x331.jpg

V3Solar's Spinning Cone-Shaped Solar Cells Generate 20 Times More Electricity Than Flat Photovoltaics

Read more: V3Solar's Spinning Cone-Shaped Solar Cells Generate 20 Times More Electricity Than Flat Photovoltaics | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

Good ideal what about ice and snow that might build-up during the night? Will that cause issues?

ABOUT OTHER POWER
We are group of renewable energy enthusiasts located in a remote corner of the northern Colorado mountains. Every member of our staff has lived off the grid for over a decade, with some at over 20 years. Our focus has always been on do-it-yourself projects, and we enjoy sharing the lessons we've all learned over the years with others who live off the grid, or are planning to move there.
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

How I home-built an electricity producing Wind turbine
It was easy. You can do it too
http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html

i4l1xj.jpg

2gsiads.jpg

2uhqtdy.jpg

307utk7.jpg

cut the ends off the cord
expose the wire
grease the wire
melt solder onto the wire
attach connectors (crimping with solder)
black electrical tape
On the charge controller turn the screws insert the exposed wire and screw it back down the other end should have connectors. The charge controller appears to work using a drill to spin the motor on the turbine. The Greenhouse has good locks on the door but I plan to make a wooden box to screw everything down and lock that so If I leave the door open nothing get's stolen or damaged.

It could build up and fly off the blades this pvc plastic is not 100% smooth its smooth enough but I doubt the build up would affect the ability to spin or cause any serious trouble as I said the fall and winter here is when we get a lot of wind.. The solar panel and coleman charge controller will charge an old bus battery as a backup worst case I run an extension cord.
http://www.mdpub.com...bine/index.html

http://www.otherpowe...ower_wind.shtml
I'm sorry I was not clear. :rolleyes: The wind mill of course would spin at night. I was talking about the V3Solar's Spinning Cone-Shaped Solar Cells. That would not spin at night.

I'm sorry I was not clear. :rolleyes: The wind mill of course would spin at night. I was talking about the V3Solar's Spinning Cone-Shaped Solar Cells. That would not spin at night.
Well solar panels still work with snow on them and the sun could heat the glass and it would melt off easier...but I have no plans to buy one.

2iqbcpx.jpg

My small panel.

The wind was blowing at 22kmph but the turbine didn't spin alot everything looks correct it feels right spins freely it's near the center of the yard with very few trees away from buildings any ideas?

hows the feathering of the blades? could be pitched to flat or to straight.
There is a bit of a scoop I'm sure the guy that sells this kit has some experience... so I sent him an email and now the wait. 22KMPH is not a lot (there is a small "tree" near by slightly shorter the leaves did not move a lot on it)

wamyow.jpg
1zn6hki.jpg

How tall is it? How big of an area is the open area? A lot of tall trees around even a large open area could create a "dead space".

How tall is it? How big of an area is the open area? A lot of tall trees around even a large open area could create a "dead space".
At least 6 meters off the ground mounted to an Aluminum shed there is one large tree near by but there's lots of open space in this yard and the yards around me the leaves should fall off soon.

I was outside it’s fairly windy and I was getting annoyed so I climb up and turned the turbine to the direction I thought the wind was blowing and sure enough it started to spin pretty quickly so I guess my tail is not large enough to easily move the turbine with the larger pole attached to the old antenna spinning base. I will probably look at adjusting the height and making the tail larger or making different size blades longer or shorter. (I did raise it another 2 feet not much difference I think the nearby tree is affecting the wind).

"I guess my tail is not large enough to easily move the turbine"
That would do it. Even more of issue if a tree is causing turbulance that keeps changing the wind direction. Like eddies longside and behind a rock in a stream.

The inverter is rated at 1200watts my HPS is 1000 watt adjustable ballast and I have various bulbs 100 200 600 watt so I will run cfl bulbs for now, Tonight we had large wind gusts I went into the backyard the wind changed direction but the turbine did not (I guess it was people I know moving it trying to get it going) the trees do indeed seem to affect the wind it gets I can't wait for the leaves to fall off...

Back