• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wind Turbine

I will add pictures when everything is done and cleaned up right now it's all a work in progress. ordered a new 400watt HPS Bulb and Digital balast according to a post on another forum that's 4.55 amps my main battery is rated for 120 amp hours (Energizer Deep Cycle Battery) waiting for more batteries. (4-11 batteries needed depending on the type of battery) (The inverter and ballast use some power)

"The formula is Amps = watts / volts.

So your 400w lamp, plus 100w for the ballast totals 500w / 110v = 4.55 amps."

"Ok, let's start with Amp-hoursverses Amps....
I think it's easer to understand if I give you some examples to work through.
For the sake of this explanation lets say you have a 12 volt compressor motor fridge, and this fridge draws 5 amps while it's compressor motor is running, now if the compressor motor ran for a whole hour the fridge would have drawn 5 amps in total for that hour, or 5 amp hours (5Ah), and if it ran like this for 24 hours it would have drawn and consumed 120 Amp-hours in total, 5Ahx 24h = 120Ah. " " Wattsthat you say?
Ok some electrical appliances are rated in Wattsrather than Amps, but that's ok, it's easy to convert these Wattsto Amps.
You simply take the stated Watts, and divide that by the Voltageand this gives you the Ampsthat the item will draw

So lets say for example you have a 120 Watt light globe (like the type you find in some car spot lights) and divide this 120Wby the 12V that is used to power it and you end up with 10A at 12V.

This also works the other way around, if you have the amps and the voltage of an item and you want to know the Watts, simply multiply the amps by the voltage and you have the Watts.
So for example remember that water pump that was drawing 10A at 12V, well 10A x 12V = 120 Watts

Now this works for any Voltage, Wattsand Amps combination.

Like a 100Whousehold light globe at 240V = 0.41A.

So 2400Wroom heater at 240V = 10A, and this just happens to be the most you can draw out of a standard household power point, 10A or 2400W.

Inverters
When trying to work out how much power will be drawn from your batteries by an inverter, a very rough but easy calculation is for every 100Wat 240V, you can expect the inverter will draw about 10A at 12Vfrom your batteries, it really works out a bit less than this but it's close enough for doing quick calculation."
http://www.fridge-an...ar.net/amps.htm

v3solar-pyramid-spin-solar-cell-537x331.jpg

V3Solar's Spinning Cone-Shaped Solar Cells Generate 20 Times More Electricity Than Flat Photovoltaics

Read more: V3Solar's Spinning Cone-Shaped Solar Cells Generate 20 Times More Electricity Than Flat Photovoltaics | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
sweet :P

Wind direction change? or you found the correct combination of tweeks.

It could be the wind direction or more leafs dropped because of the wind storm but it worked well even in low winds...Update: I added a larger tail and it moves now :) here are a few interesting YouTube Videos:

Ok some electrical appliances are rated in Wattsrather than Amps, but that's ok, it's easy to convert these Wattsto Amps.
You simply take the stated Watts, and divide that by the Voltageand this gives you the Ampsthat the item will draw

So lets say for example you have a 120 Watt light globe (like the type you find in some car spot lights) and divide this 120Wby the 12V that is used to power it and you end up with 10A at 12V.
This also works the other way around, if you have the amps and the voltage of an item and you want to know the Watts, simply multiply the amps by the voltage and you have the Watts.
So for example remember that water pump that was drawing 10A at 12V, well 10A x 12V = 120 Watts

Now this works for any Voltage, Wattsand Amps combination.

Like a 100Whousehold light globe at 240V = 0.41A.
So 2400Wroom heater at 240V = 10A, and this just happens to be the most you can draw out of a standard household power point, 10A or 2400W.

Yes its Ohm`s law.

ohmsLawTriangle.gif

As an Electrician (retired) im also keen on "free electric" and one good site down here i frequent is The Back Shed.
And in particular worth reading is the the wind turbines made from F&P smartdrive washing machine motors.

Mezo.

Over the last two months the wind turbine has worked great but I had no idea how much power the inverter used so a single battery running a single light lasted 7-8 hours. I plan to add some extra batteries and buy a hybrid solar wind charge controller. I could also use a larger pole...

Quick question my 1000watt inverter has no information about how much it uses to converter the power and display so would a 300watt inverter without display use less power ? I plan to be running 200watts and I'm adding batteries to store more power and looking into a hybrid charge controller.

Instead of powering a large MH light for heat I think I will use an aquarium heater with thermostat ;)

"Winters are really cold and not all my plants are suitable for such freezing temperatures as low as -20 celsius so i transfer some of my plants to my small greenhouse during winter months but still some couldn't survive some harsh winters. I made a simple heating system lately and using it successfully for the last 3 years. Photos are self explanatory and here is the list of needed things:
- a suitable box. i am using a plastic kitchen enclosure box which i covered with thin polystrene plates and packaging tape.
- a cheap aquarium heater. i am using a 100w thermostatic one.
- some metres of flexible irrigation pipe.
- a small pond fountain pump.
- a timer socket. (optional)
- 5liters of windshield wiper fluid. (optional)"

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Greenhouse-Heater/
http://my.gardenguides.com/forums/topic/23356
http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/489108-tent-greenhouse-too-cold-aquarium.html

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design

http://www.audible.com/pd/Science-Technology/Solar-Power-for-Sustainable-Living-Audiobook/B00BZBYB3A

Sun King :"Nothing you have said will work. For example a 12 volt 10AH battery can only run a 15 to 20 watt inverter. At 20 watts will last about 3 hours.

You want to run a 50 watt heater I assume 24 hours per day. That will consume 1200 watt hours. You would need a 500 Amp Hour battery, 700 watt solar panel and a 60 Amp MPPT charge controller.

Want lights with that? going to need a lot more battery, panel wattage, charge controller amps. ."

Mike 90250: "inverters average about 80-90% efficiency, so if you load it with 50 watts, you may consume 60w. Also, even with no load at all, they consume some power - 5-10 watts, that also has to be accounted for. Larger inverters consume more idle power than small ones."

Naptown: "Snow on PV panels if set up for winter is not as much of an issue as you think Once the sun hits them the snow will melt and slide off.
If steep enough and there is snow there is something called the albido effect which will increase your output along with the cold temperatures."

Some pics

2aj6x5d.jpg

Series_Connecting_Solar_Panels.png

8yxma0.jpg

Exposed copper ends slide in you screw down to hold them tight.

23h96bm.jpg

28qxog9.jpg

jfko02.jpg

200 watt inverter simply plug in the back attach the clips and hit the power on button.

14vjvq8.jpg

8mm laxan twin wall with rubber backed washers

Back