• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2013

Finally got me some lights and a heat mat...

lightstand1.jpg

lightstand2.jpg

The trays are the self-watering Burpee 32-cell type..Hopefully they will maintain more consistent moisture levels.

This is what I sowed:

C. chinense
MoA Scotch Bonnet (STEVE954), 6
Madame Jeanette (Meatfreak), 6
Bahamian Goat (FadeToBlack), 6
NagaBrain (romy6), 8
Trinidad Scorpion, 4
7 Pot Yellow, 8
Cumari do Para (capsidadburn), 8
Bonda ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (Spicegeist), 4
Chupetinha, 4

C. annuum
Doux Tres Long des Landes (Meatfreak), 6
Poblano, 8
Zapotec Jalapeño, 12
Chiltepin, 8
California Wonder, 4
Chilhuacle Rojo, 8
Thai Garden Birdseed, 4
Ashe County Pimento (kentishman), 4
Kitchen Pepper (Datil), 4

C. baccatum
Aji Amarillo, 8

There are a few spots still open. Probably will sow NuMex 6-4 and some Morouga, because people are asking for it....

meatfreak said:
The pickled Zapotecs looks amazing and delicious, Gary. Sorry to hear about your in-ground plants :( we still haven't have any frost over here but forecasts says we will this Wednesday. The plants I still have in-ground are my Pubescens, we see how far I can take them inside the poly-tunnel.

That's so cool, Stefan…I wasn't aware your climate was so temperate.

ronniedeb said:
The Chiles en Escabeche look great. Is there a particular recipe you can recommend?

Thanks RD! There are plenty of recipes for Chiles en Escabeche on the inter webs, but most all call for cooking the ingredients before putting them up in cans: Frying everything first in olive oil, then adding the pickling liquid and simmering. I really don't like cooked sauces or pickles—I feel like fresher is always better. Also, the olive oil tends to solidify in the refrigerator, so I leave that out. What follows is more of a description than a recipe of how I made this batch of Chiles en Escabeche—Please bear in mind that I don't measure things very closely, so you may need to vary the amounts of some or all of the ingredients to suit your needs:

CHILES EN ESCABECHE

4 1-quart canning jars, with lids and rings
20-30 Jalapeño or Serrano chiles, fresh, green
2 qts. white vinegar
1 qt. water
1 white onion
6-8 large carrots, fresh
6-9 cloves garlic, fresh
1 bunch thyme, fresh
8 bay leaves, fresh or dried
1/2 jar whole black peppercorns
2-3 tablespoons Kosher salt

Wash the jars and lids. Peel and slice the carrots. Slit the blossom end of each chile twice, resulting in cross-shaped cuts. (This allows the pickling liquid to permeate the pods.) Peel and slice the onion longways. Peel the garlic. Arrange all dry ingredients except the salt in the jars.

Bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil in a large pan. Carefully ladle the liquid into the jars and seal, making sure that no ingredients violate the seal (The thyme tends to hang out of the jars.) Leave the jar rings loose while they cool. Once the jars have cooled, leave at cool room temp in a dark place for a few days (for the flavors to develop and marry), then move to refrigerator. The product is good to eat after one day, but it's better after a week or so.

Penny said:
Me too, had to Google it as well, and it looks and sounds sooooo good!! ;)

Thanks Penny! No pods from Louisiana yet?

windchicken said:

That's so cool, Stefan…I wasn't aware your climate was so temperate.

Thanks RD! There are plenty of recipes for Chiles en Escabeche on the inter webs, but most all call for cooking the ingredients before putting them up in cans: Frying everything first in olive oil, then adding the pickling liquid and simmering. I really don't like cooked sauces or pickles—I feel like fresher is always better. Also, the olive oil tends to solidify in the refrigerator, so I leave that out. What follows is more of a description than a recipe of how I made this batch of Chiles en Escabeche—Please bear in mind that I don't measure things very closely, so you may need to vary the amounts of some or all of the ingredients to suit your needs:

CHILES EN ESCABECHE

4 1-quart canning jars, with lids and rings
20-30 Jalapeño or Serrano chiles, fresh, green
2 qts. white vinegar
1 qt. water
1 white onion
6-8 large carrots, fresh
6-9 cloves garlic, fresh
1 bunch thyme, fresh
8 bay leaves, fresh or dried
1/2 jar whole black peppercorns
2-3 tablespoons Kosher salt

Wash the jars and lids. Peel and slice the carrots. Slit the blossom end of each chile twice, resulting in cross-shaped cuts. (This allows the pickling liquid to permeate the pods.) Peel and slice the onion longways. Peel the garlic. Arrange all dry ingredients except the salt in the jars.

Bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil in a large pan. Carefully ladle the liquid into the jars and seal, making sure that no ingredients violate the seal (The thyme tends to hang out of the jars.) Leave the jar rings loose while they cool. Once the jars have cooled, leave at cool room temp in a dark place for a few days (for the flavors to develop and marry), then move to refrigerator. The product is good to eat after one day, but it's better after a week or so.

Thanks Penny! No pods from Louisiana yet?

Turns out you really can't trust the weathermen... we had frost tonight. Went to the tunnel to check out the plants and the leaves were frozen so that's the end of that I guess :lol:

Those NagaBrains look evil and delicious Gary, i will come back begging for seeds when i get more space to grow :D

Hope you a mild winter!

Datil

ps
My Thai Gardeen Birdseed "tree" is still alive after some frosts (no ripe pods so far LOL)

meatfreak said:

Turns out you really can't trust the weathermen... we had frost tonight. Went to the tunnel to check out the plants and the leaves were frozen so that's the end of that I guess :lol:

Bummer…There's something kind of liberating about that, though...

Penny said:
:rolleyes: Well that certainly sucks, doesn't it!! Darn weatherman :rolleyes:

:mope:

Datil said:
Those NagaBrains look evil and delicious Gary, i will come back begging for seeds when i get more space to grow :D

Hope you a mild winter!

Datil

ps
My Thai Gardeen Birdseed "tree" is still alive after some frosts (no ripe pods so far LOL)

Hey Fabrizio! This year we've already had 4 nights below 30ºF…..Last year at this time I had ripe fruit on my plants...

It's good to hear from you! If you need seeds, just say the word...

The Garden Birdseed can take a really long time to give ripe fruit, some years seem to take longer than other years.

Penny said:
Poor Carlos.... ;)

Lol, thanks for watching Penny. The man is certainly a memorable character... :flamethrower:

Devv said:
+1 on 790!

He's got more uh, he's braver than me!

Thanks for watching that Scott! I would never have put that whole honking big 7 in my mouth, either... :surprised:

Fine looking Escabeche.....similar recipe to the way I make it. I don't process it with oil either, but when I crack the seal and pour either that or Giardinaire into a bowl for a condiment, I'll then add some good oil to the mix. Those dang tender carrots always get me..
.I can eat the whole jar of them.............burp !

Thanks Greg! I hadn't thought of adding the oil at serving time…nice!

Lol, yes, I find this product to be "perilously delicious" as well. I can eat a whole can of the La Costeña version, but these Zapotecs pack considerably more punch…about 3 chiles and I'm done...

I was growing Zapotec primarily for Chipotle production, but these are way easier to make, and my wife and kids even like them...

Back