• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2015

It was from my own inaction that I missed so many of my awesome THP friends over most of last season…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a grow log…Those of you who have not fallen prey to that particular internet time-waster of which I speak and have remained loyal to THP have my greatest love and respect…I pledge today to maintain this glog throughout the complete 2015 grow season! 

Last weekend (January 10 & 11) I sowed most of my C. chinense seeds: 4 x 18-cell trays, 72 x 3" wide cells. The sprouting medium is Fafard Super Fine Germination Mix. The light stand is Harris Seed's "8 Tray 2-Tier Combo", which includes a 4' x 2' heat mat and a light timer. New this year is a DeLonghi radiant heater to drive out the cold drafts in this spare bedroom. Everything else is the same as last year. 

As far as varieties sown this year, I agonized over a couple of "dream" lists during the fall, and obsessed over a nice spreadsheet in the week preceding this sowing, but I couldn't settle on a firm "assemblage" of super hot varieties. So I waited until the last minute (after the soil was already in the trays) and went with my gut. This is what I sowed:

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover.com), 18
7 Pot Primo (Primo's Backyard Select) 9
Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F4), 9 (Spicegeist's wonderfully hot and flavorful marriage of 2 yellow Caribbean classics)
Baby Barrackpore (F3), 9 (my favorite of the 3 phenotypes of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore)
NagaBrain Red (F4), 9
NagaBrain Chocolate, Tmudder Strain (F3), 9
NagaBrain Yellow (F2), 9

chinense_trays_2015.jpg

Wow!!!  Those little Pequins sure has grown up in popularity!!!   To me it is truly amazing to hear that ..."It's the most robust chile plant I have ever grown." When I first shared those seeds 4 years ago, I was still a neophyte in learning, reading, and growing chiles.  However, I knew they were  hardy little beasts that bit back, were unlike other pequins I have seen before and since ,and that they LOVED and THRIVED in our TEXAS heat!!  100F heat for 60 days plus :onfire: ... no problemo!   :P 

I am glad to be back, and look forward to being around and still learning from the Master Pepper Jedi's around here... both men and women.  You and Capsidadburn(Mike) being two of the best and most graceful. :clap:   As for me.. it has been a bit of a journey.  Serious neck and back injuries took me out of life for a long while, I moved away for a bit.. now moved back to Austin and the spinal column seems to be playing nicer now(fingers crossed + prayers said!) 

I LOVE the photo of those SmiterQ pequins above!  That is indeed how they should look!! Sadly, the only seed stock I have for myself I think got crossed with something else, perhaps a jalapeno.  Last plants I had grew chiles of different sizes, it was definitely not a pure SmiterQ pequin.  

After I finish potting my little seedlings, I will start my glog.  Thanks for the warm welcome back!! Cheers to all!! :-)

Brian, I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries, but I'm really glad you're doing better!  :P

Mike is truly a class act, and a really good guy…When I said "We" had named the Texas Pequin after you I was referring to him and me…We really love this chile, and we always give you the credit when we share seeds or dried pods, or evangelize about our favorite Pequin. Back in the early days Mike and I both were getting some of those milder jalapeño-shaped pods, too, but every year we kept selecting for the true Pequin shape and heat level until we had the nice bullet-shaped, erect pods shown in the photo. Even in last year's grow some of the plants set pendant pods, but with the same shape and strong heat level of the erect pods. They were good to eat and share, but I didn't save seeds from them.

I may still have some air-dried "seed" pods (viable). I'd love to send you some!

Looking forward to your glog!

Wow, awesome plants all around Gary!  I'm a bit jealous of your
plant-out; hope they don't get hammered by the weather.  They
are so beautiful!

The Bonda x Yellow 7, NagaBrain Yellow, and the Primo are all
kicking into high gear here as well.  When we get a decent day
I'll try to get them out for some pix for ya.

Thanks PG! And thanks so much for growing the NagaBrain and the BMJxY7! I'm excited to see what beautiful plants and pods you are sure to produce!

PaulS said:
That looks really good.
The poles are there to indicate how tall the plants will be :)

Lol, thanks Paul! You are exactly right!  :P

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Your plants continue to look fantastic. It's sooooo good to see green in the ground! I know they're gonna love their new home.

Thanks HM!

Roguejim said:
RCW is kicking noble ass again. I'm always surprised at how shredded the wood looks, and not like wood chips I'm used to seeing.

Thanks RJ! At the place where I buy the stuff it's actually sold as "shredded hardwood." So that's really more accurate...

millworkman said:
Looking great Gary.  Keep us up on when/if you fertilize this year.  They should about be good to go now right?

Thanks Noah! You're right, these beds shouldn't need any ferts at all, from now on. In fact, last year a couple of plants in the "pilot" bed burned up from the forest soil's natural richness. This year I will be much more vigilant for signs that my babies are getting too hot. I've already watered them a couple of extra times to cool the soil down, in addition the the heavy rains we've been having...

Trident chilli said:
Gary your pilot plot is picture perfect ...

Thanks John!

Back