• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2016

For the last couple of years my season has finished up after the subsequent season had already started…I sowed my 2016 seeds last Saturday, but my 2015 Chile Manzano are just now bearing ripe fruit, 3 days later. Is it worth waiting over a year after sowing to get ripe fruit from these plants? HELLZ TO THE YEAH!!! Only the best chile in the world!!!

Manzano_Jan12.jpg

Plantguy76 said:
Great glog you got going on Gary !
I tried growing pineapple rocotto last year but seen right away that it was not going to make it here in southeast Missouri.
I would like to fine one that would your Chile Manzano look cool bet there real tasty!
All the best in 2016

Thanks Jason! I've had the best results shielding my C. pubescens plants from the summertime sun after about 11:00 am. The plants continue to grow new leaves and branches, but drop all their blossoms. When the bad Louisiana heat finally breaks for the last time, sometime in October or November, the plants begin to set fruit, but the frost hits before the fruit can fully develop and ripen, so they must be brought inside. Every time there is a break in the cold nights I set the plants out on the south side of the house to get some sun. By early January all that schlepping is rewarded with the pods in the O.P. photo... :cool:

http://pepperlover.com/new-2015/peru-bitdumi-rocoto-detail
Thanks Jason! I've had the best results shielding my C. pubescens plants from the summertime sun after about 11:00 am. The plants continue to grow new leaves and branches, but drop all their blossoms. When the bad Louisiana heat finally breaks for the last time, sometime in October or November, the plants begin to set fruit, but the frost hits before the fruit can fully develop and ripen, so they must be brought inside. Every time there is a break in the cold nights I set the plants out on the south side of the house to get some sun. By early January all that schlepping is rewarded with the pods in the O.P. photo... :cool:[/quote]
Thank you for the information Gary they sure do look nice!
I been eyeing this one form pepperlover

How many pods do you usually get per plant? I don't know if I would get one to successfully set fruit where I live in so cal, but I am germinating one anyways.

Lovepeppers said:
How many pods do you usually get per plant? I don't know if I would get one to successfully set fruit where I live in so cal, but I am germinating one anyways.
Good luck , hope you get some to set !

Plantguy76 said:
http://pepperlover.com/new-2015/peru-bitdumi-rocoto-detail
Thanks Jason! I've had the best results shielding my C. pubescens plants from the summertime sun after about 11:00 am. The plants continue to grow new leaves and branches, but drop all their blossoms. When the bad Louisiana heat finally breaks for the last time, sometime in October or November, the plants begin to set fruit, but the frost hits before the fruit can fully develop and ripen, so they must be brought inside. Every time there is a break in the cold nights I set the plants out on the south side of the house to get some sun. By early January all that schlepping is rewarded with the pods in the O.P. photo... :cool:
Thank you for the information Gary they sure do look nice!
I been eyeing this one form pepperlover

[/QUOTE] 
You bet! :cool:

Lovepeppers said:

My production rate is far less than one would expect in more temperate climates, but I am happy to get the few Manzano pods that do set, maybe 4 or 5 per plant. I'm not sure where you are in SoCal, but Chile Manzano should do very well for you there. Here's a pik of my buddy Carlos' in-ground plant in Lompoc, near Santa Barbara. At the time this photo was taken, the plant was 5 years old and 7 feet tall: 

carlos_manzano_2013.jpg

Deano5x said:
Good luck , hope you get some to set !

Thanks Deano!

jedisushi06 said:
good luck gary!

Thanks Mike!

millworkman said:
Very much Good luck Gary!

Thanks Noah!

Pop Status this morning, 7 days after sowing:

p_dreadie_jan18.jpg

bonda_mahala_jan18.jpg

red_nagabrain_jan18.jpg

windchicken said:

I may try this.  I did get small fruits on a plant in the fall.  Never took it inside though.

Well I'm in the Inland Empire zone 10A. It can get pretty hot here. I do wish I had coastal temps, but I think they would set on a overwinter since late February or early march weather gets a bit warmer.
Nice picture of your friends plant.

ronniedeb said:
Good to see germination! Your friends Manzano plant is a beast!!

Thanks Ronnie! I'm pretty jealous of Carlos...He doesn't even have to plant!

roper2008 said:

I may try this.  I did get small fruits on a plant in the fall.  Never took it inside though.

Cool!

Lovepeppers said:
Well I'm in the Inland Empire zone 10A. It can get pretty hot here. I do wish I had coastal temps, but I think they would set on a overwinter since late February or early march weather gets a bit warmer.
Nice picture of your friends plant.

Thanks! Being near the sea seems to minimize temperature extremes...The weather in South Louisiana is more moderate than it is farther inland, where I am.

Pop Status of Tray One, 10 days after sowing. The Dreadie seeds are 3 years old! All other seeds are from the 2015 season...

PagesScreenSnapz001.jpg

A while back Søren Friis Larsen, creator of the Bhut Orange Copenhagen, asked me to send him a fresh BOC fruit so that he could make a tasting video. I was more than a little apprehensive, not being sure if mine were up to snuff. But he assured me several times that my BOCs were of good quality, so I sent him 8 of my best pods from the OW plant in my garage...

https://www.facebook.com/ScovillePassion2011/videos/10208737871063436/

You are off to a great start, Gary.  the Manzano plants are awesome.  I wish our grow
season was long enough to really do them justice here, but at least we can get a few
pods.  I'm growing some Peruvian seed Red Rocotos this season in lieu of the Orange
Manzanos just for fun.  I have a few ounces of Manzano powder stored away, so decided
to try something different.  The fresh Manzano pods are most delicious - one of my
favorites, for sure.

Good luck going forward, my friend!

PaulG said:
You are off to a great start, Gary.  the Manzano plants are awesome.  I wish our grow
season was long enough to really do them justice here, but at least we can get a few
pods.  I'm growing some Peruvian seed Red Rocotos this season in lieu of the Orange
Manzanos just for fun.  I have a few ounces of Manzano powder stored away, so decided
to try something different.  The fresh Manzano pods are most delicious - one of my
favorites, for sure.

Good luck going forward, my friend!

Thanks Paul! It's good to hear from ya! My Manzano production is not very great, maybe 7-8 pods per plant per year, and the the pods don't ever get as large as the SoCal "mother plant" they descended from. I just love them so much that I'm willing to take whatever I can get!

Trident chilli said:
Looking good Gary .... P. Dreadie select seeds sown just waiting to catch up with you .... thank you again for them

My pleasure John. Thanks!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Things seem to be looking good for you... curious about why those chocolate NB and primos are still asleep. Give em.a.wake up call...

Thanks KD...Here's an update:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-03%20at%2012.50.36%20PM.png

Back