• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2017

My every season starts with Texas Pequin, because it never stops growing. A few weeks back we dug up about 30 of these perennial plants to rescue them from the relentless march of the upcoming super hots...

pequin_1.jpg

Plants look great Gary! And they WILL do well in those beds ;)

One of the reasons I fenced our yard was the feral hogs, the were coming in after the acorns. Three times I had to use the tractor to smooth out the yard, they totally destroyed it. And under every Live Oak on the place it looked like it had been roto tilled that winter. Good luck with them!

Superhot Sim said:
Gardening at it's best and always a wealth of information.
3 Years ago you explained everything I wanted to know about RCW, that was the start of a great over seas friendship, love seeing the work you do Gary, top chilli guru

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks so much Simmy!!!  :P  It's always a pleasure...You are my kinda people...:cool:

Devv said:
Plants look great Gary! And they WILL do well in those beds ;)

One of the reasons I fenced our yard was the feral hogs, the were coming in after the acorns. Three times I had to use the tractor to smooth out the yard, they totally destroyed it. And under every Live Oak on the place it looked like it had been roto tilled that winter. Good luck with them!

I hear ya Scott! Those dudes can do as much damage as small bulldozers!!!

A couple years ago I noticed that a volunteer plant in my Texas Pequin bed (seeds from Austin, Texas THP member SmiterQ) was presenting with narrow, elegant, dark green leaves, very much like Thai Chile. The pods were also longer and pointier, and not so mushy as the usual phenotype Texas Pequin when ripe. I collected seeds and sowed the next season (2016) hoping to reproduce that plant and those chiles. Those plants were close, but not the same. To my extreme surprise, however, the original plant lived through the winter of 2015/2016 to thrive and produce again. I dug that plant out of the clay bank it was growing in and set it in a 3-gal nursery container to overwinter. When the weather warmed this spring, I could not have been happier to see these volunteers in the pot with the mother plant.

I'm calling it "Mundy Bayou Pequin," after the stream just down the hill from my country garden:

mundy_bayou_pequin1.jpg

Plantguy76 said:
Gary informative golg you have here plants are looking gorgeous.

Thanks so much Jason! 

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants look fantastic, Gary.

Congrats on the Mundy Bayou Pequin volunteers.

I like the naming process. Still dig the Forbing Naga and Bonda Mahala.

I'm going to try and start some of those seeds. My hoophouse might surprise me this Fall.

Thanks Chuck! I have been feeling very tied to the land, its dirt, its history, and its people, these last few years...I love to honor that with my special babies...

Interesting fact: before the Louisiana Purchase, from 1720 or so up until 1803, this area was occupied by French-speaking colonists who named this little stream "Bayou Pierre," a much more romantic name to me, and with my French heritage far more compelling...But the but the flood of English-speaking settlers that came here after 1803 successfully wiped the area clean of all Frenchness; we are unequivocally rednecks now, and the Mundy name seems more appropriate....

Datil said:

I love both thai and pequin, it looks like a keeper! Narrow leaved annuums are usually very tough against weather and pests.
It would surely do great for general cooking needs :D How's the heat/flavor?

F

Thanks Fabrizio!!! You and I are bird pepper brothers! The heat and flavor are very close to Texas Pequin. I'll send you some pods when they're ready....

Trident chilli said:
Mundy Bayou Pequin I will be following this variety Gary with interest.... looking forward to it maturing

Thanks John!!!

Very nice Gary!

They have a great start going on. Are they in a mature bed?

I have the one plant in the RCW bed this season as a test. So far I'm impressed with how well it's doing, and how well the bed holds moisture. So far I hit it once a week with a deep watering. I will start with more in the beds next season for sure!

Keep it green! ;)

windchicken said:
I finally got the Zapotec Jalapeño plants in the ground today, all 26 of them. I like to think the Aji Queen, Beth Boyd, is smiling down upon her babies:

zapotec_5.jpg
Lovely Zapotec Jalapeño's  Gary by any chance can I have some seed this fall for next season it would be much appreciated & grown at my moms
​That mundy bayou name reminds me of the DC comic villain Solomon Grundy ( Grundy on a Monday ;) ) & form what you have said about it just as tough.

Hi Gary, I thought you might like some pics of a couple of your Forbing Naga babies raised here in New England. Now that we're getting nights in the 40s consistently I've transplanted some into a raised bed with good southern exposure, and the two plants pictured will go into #7 air-pots up against the house.[emoji2]

SANY2228.JPG
SANY2229.JPG

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Devv said:
Very nice Gary!

They have a great start going on. Are they in a mature bed?

I have the one plant in the RCW bed this season as a test. So far I'm impressed with how well it's doing, and how well the bed holds moisture. So far I hit it once a week with a deep watering. I will start with more in the beds next season for sure!

Keep it green! ;)

Thanks Scott! This bed was built in 2014, and is now at peak fertility...Thanks for building forest soil dude!!!

Plantguy76 said:
Ive seen somewhere a tepin x pequin cross for sale any of y'all know anything about that one?

Hi Jason! I don't know of a specific cross like that, but in growing so many Pequin plants for so many years, I have noticed that they are very prone to unintentional cross-pollination, so I imagine there is more than one version of tepin x pequin floating around....

Plantguy76 said:
Lovely Zapotec Jalapeño's  Gary by any chance can I have some seed this fall for next season it would be much appreciated & grown at my moms
​That mundy bayou name reminds me of the DC comic villain Solomon Grundy ( Grundy on a Monday ;) ) & form what you have said about it just as tough.

You got it Jason! I think I have plenty of 2016 Zapotec seeds right now, if you want them...I'll have to check out Grundy...

stickman said:
Hi Gary, I thought you might like some pics of a couple of your Forbing Naga babies raised here in New England. Now that we're getting nights in the 40s consistently I've transplanted some into a raised bed with good southern exposure, and the two plants pictured will go into #7 air-pots up against the house.[emoji2]

attachicon.gif
SANY2228.JPG
attachicon.gif
SANY2229.JPG
Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Wow, I am honored beyond words by your growing my pepper, Rick! And they are strikingly beautiful...

Hi Gary, your garden is looking awesome mate.

You sent me seeds for the BOC a little while back and you also put some Zapotec Jals in which I have decided to grow. I am overwintering red Nagabrains and adding two more next year because I really like them.

If you don't mind would you tell me what it is you love about the Zapotec in particular? I haven't grown Jals before..

Cheers

Back