• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2017

My every season starts with Texas Pequin, because it never stops growing. A few weeks back we dug up about 30 of these perennial plants to rescue them from the relentless march of the upcoming super hots...

pequin_1.jpg

Hi Jason! I don't know of a specific cross like that, but in growing so many Pequin plants for so many years, I have noticed that they are very prone to unintentional cross-pollination, so I imagine there is more than one version of tepin x pequin floating around....

You got it Jason! I think I have plenty of 2016 Zapotec seeds right now, if you want them...I'll have to check out Grundy...

​Thanks so much Gary very much appreciated.

Paul,

Around here the county grinds up branches the homeowners set out when they have the yard cleanup pickups going on. They offer them for free to the public. Also the companies that keep power lines clear might work with you. They were working on my road and I stopped and spoke with them. They wanted 30 bucks a truck load, which is great, but I get them free ;)

Jase4224 said:
Hi Gary, your garden is looking awesome mate.

You sent me seeds for the BOC a little while back and you also put some Zapotec Jals in which I have decided to grow. I am overwintering red Nagabrains and adding two more next year because I really like them.

If you don't mind would you tell me what it is you love about the Zapotec in particular? I haven't grown Jals before..

Cheers

Thanks Jase! Thanks so much for growing NagaBrain, my friend!!! The BOC is also very hard to beat...I would put it at my top 2 or 3 favorite super hots...

There is so much to love about the Zapotec, aside from its ancient heritage, which is always a huge selling point with me. I think one of my favorite things is that the plants grow very slowly, slower than my C. chinese plants, even, with thick, knotty trunks and branches, like little oak trees. And if you've seen the photos on Jim Duffy's site, you know how beautiful the Zapotec corking is. But the bottom line is, of course, the chiles, which just have the finest flavor of any jalapeño I've ever tasted. The interior flesh is very dense, so much so that there is zero void space inside the chiles. A sack of Zapotec chiles will weigh easily twice as much as a bag of Naga pods of the same size, which means there is A LOT of flavor packed into those little dudes...

Hope that helps!

Plantguy76 said:
Hi Jason! I don't know of a specific cross like that, but in growing so many Pequin plants for so many years, I have noticed that they are very prone to unintentional cross-pollination, so I imagine there is more than one version of tepin x pequin floating around....

You got it Jason! I think I have plenty of 2016 Zapotec seeds right now, if you want them...I'll have to check out Grundy...

​Thanks so much Gary very much appreciated.

You bet!

PaulG said:
Phenomenal, Gary!  Always a pleasure to catch up
with your grow log.

I'm still trying to find ground up oak branches   :rofl:
or even any other hardwood. Gonna keep trying, though.
It just looks too good to be true   ;)

Thanks Paul! The idea of forest soil always made sense to me, but when I finally saw the results, I was beyond amazed... There are bound to be some oak chips somewhere around there....

Devv said:
Paul,

Around here the county grinds up branches the homeowners set out when they have the yard cleanup pickups going on. They offer them for free to the public. Also the companies that keep power lines clear might work with you. They were working on my road and I stopped and spoke with them. They wanted 30 bucks a truck load, which is great, but I get them free ;)

Thanks Scott! Getting the chips free from the service companies is definitely the way to go, if you are able to work it. My friend Chad in East Texas got 50 yards dumped in his yard for free, by the contractors who were trimming the power line ROWs....

Those raised rows of earth soil look better each season Gary, glad you had your team of helpers [emoji6]
Everything always look so regimental in your grows, which is a credit to your growing skills.
Your soldiers all lined up ready for a battle.
Yard looks better than ever and your be rewarded for your efforts.

Warmer weather both sides of the pond and soon be BBQ time ( Jerk chicken) ice cold cider, and raise a glass to Erin and Beth.
Your bossing it buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks fantastic my friend. Glad you had help. June 1st is just around the corner. Pace yourself. It looks warm down there.

If you don't mind me asking. What's your plant spacing this year?

Thanks Chuck! It has been in the low 50s the last couple mornings, so I've been really pushing, trying to get them all in the dirt before the Louisiana summer gets here in just a very few days...

Everything in the beds so far have been compact-habit C. annuum varieties, and I'm spacing them at 24 inches apart. The last row, on the far left, will be large C. chinense plants, so they'll need 36 inches between main stems...

Superhot Sim said:
Those raised rows of earth soil look better each season Gary, glad you had your team of helpers [emoji6]
Everything always look so regimental in your grows, which is a credit to your growing skills.
Your soldiers all lined up ready for a battle.
Yard looks better than ever and your be rewarded for your efforts.

Warmer weather both sides of the pond and soon be BBQ time ( Jerk chicken) ice cold cider, and raise a glass to Erin and Beth.
Your bossing it buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Simmy! You are too kind...What you see there is the result of my obsessive need for order in my otherwise chaotic life... It takes me probably 2 or 3 times longer to plant than most growers, because I spend so much time measuring and lining things up. But then I get many months of quiet, peaceful, green therapy for my troubles...Way cheaper than Prozac, and way more effective, seems to me!

Man oh man I like the sound of that jerk and cider plan, Simmy!!! I know the spirits of Erin and Beth will be there, on both sides of the pond, as we toast them, and Papa Dreadie's happy tunes will be in tha hizouz, too!!!  :dance:

OCD Chilehead said:
Garden looks amazing. Nothing like getting them all in the ground. I'm not quite there yet. Can't wait to see those plants spread out.

Congrats my friend.

Thanks Chuck!

Devv said:
+1 on #57!

I see you made a hog fence ;)

Thanks Scott! Yes, I did...There's just a bit more to do, and that fence will be electrified... :cool:

I was just in the garden admiring Butch's Mississippi Scorpion plants (nearest the camera) after last night's rain, and snapped this photo:

garden2.jpg

windchicken said:

Thanks Chuck!

Thanks Scott! Yes, I did...There's just a bit more to do, and that fence will be electrified... :cool:

I was just in the garden admiring Butch's Mississippi Scorpion plants (nearest the camera) after last night's rain, and snapped this photo:

garden2.jpg
Great pic of the garden. Those plants look nice and uniform. Something about Scorpions, they never get old. Great producers.

Back