• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken's 2019 NOT a glog...

The last few years that I've started a glog I have failed to maintain the thing, and I end up feeling bad about it. But I do want to share with y'all this short video of my plants in the shade tent last Saturday (April 27), just before we put them in the beds. There are 69 Capsicum chinense plants and 116 Capsicum annuum plants:

[media]https://youtu.be/KTZyMddOPes[/media]

windchicken said:

I'm glad to hear you and yours are well, my friend! I can't believe your boy is in school already!!! My head is spinning now!!!

Yikes! 40ºF is way too cold for May! Hopefully that was your last cold snap...

I'm looking forward to those photos! Are you still growing the Karpathos Market pepper? I've always wanted to grow that one again....

Time flies my friend!
I'm not growing the Karpathos pepper anymore but we should refresh seeds before it's too late, i've still plenty of them and it tasted so good!
More bad weather in this past weekend so i'm still delaying transplants...
I promise to send you more interesting seeds at the end of this season!

Take care

F

windchicken said:
While Nova and her squad were finishing up the hog fence upgrade last Saturday I managed to put the F8 Bonda Mahala plants in the ground. In the top bed are my taro plants, from rhizomes sent me by Julio Lopez in Puerto Rico:

[media]https://youtu.be/z1AaXUm2RGg[/media]

I always love the look of your raised beds, Gary!
Just so pristine looking!  I sort of like your pepper
grow, too  ;)

Are you still growing the Yellow 7 x Bonda Ma
Jacques and the Yellow NagaBrain? If so, maybe
we can swap some seeds next Fall? I really liked
both of those peppers.

Datil said:

Time flies my friend!
I'm not growing the Karpathos pepper anymore but we should refresh seeds before it's too late, i've still plenty of them and it tasted so good!
More bad weather in this past weekend so i'm still delaying transplants...
I promise to send you more interesting seeds at the end of this season!

Take care

F

I still have seeds from the Karpathos pepper, as well...I was looking back through my notes and was amazed to find that I have not grown it since 2015!!! Such a noble pepper, that one...It's a crime to not grow it, because it is truly everything I love about a good pepper!

Good luck with your grow! I am visualizing fair weather for you from this day until mid-November!

Gary

PaulG said:

I always love the look of your raised beds, Gary!
Just so pristine looking!  I sort of like your pepper
grow, too  ;)

Are you still growing the Yellow 7 x Bonda Ma
Jacques and the Yellow NagaBrain? If so, maybe
we can swap some seeds next Fall? I really liked
both of those peppers.

Hey Paul! It's so good to hear from you!!! My granddaughter Nova and her squad are responsible for the maintenance of those beds now...As you can see, they take much pride in their work, and I couldn't be happier with it myself!

Bonda Mahala is, in fact, what I am now calling Charles' excellent hybrid of Seven Pot Yellow and Bonda Man Jacques. It was around F4 that he said I had done a good job with it, and should give it a proper name....It is my #1 flagship pepper, and I am rather proud of the way it came out, so I decided to give it my wife's name...☺️

I do love the Yellow NagaBrain, but I haven't grown it in a couple of years. I have seeds from back around F5, I believe, and am more than happy to share them with you!

Here's a short video of my F7 Bonda Mahala plants, taken last August. I am very happy with the dense leaf canopy the plants are putting on, which is especially beneficial in our brutal Louisiana summers:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjdBxRoaVi8[/media]

windchicken said:

Thanks Ben! And thanks so much for asking about Bonda Mahala! Are you growing that one? I'm uploading a quick video of my F8 Mahala plants right now...Should be up in just a few minutes...

I am growing the Bonda Mahala F4.  I got seeds off of one of the seed trains that Jeff Contonio runs.  Your plants and garden look great.  Looking forward to seeing more pics as the season goes on.

windchicken said:

Hey Paul! It's so good to hear from you!!! My granddaughter Nova and her squad are responsible for the maintenance of those beds now...As you can see, they take much pride in their work, and I couldn't be happier with it myself!

Bonda Mahala is, in fact, what I am now calling Charles' excellent hybrid of Seven Pot Yellow and Bonda Man Jacques. It was around F4 that he said I had done a good job with it, and should give it a proper name....It is my #1 flagship pepper, and I am rather proud of the way it came out, so I decided to give it my wife's name...☺️

I do love the Yellow NagaBrain, but I haven't grown it in a couple of years. I have seeds from back around F5, I believe, and am more than happy to share them with you!

Here's a short video of my F7 Bonda Mahala plants, taken last August. I am very happy with the dense leaf canopy the plants are putting on, which is especially beneficial in our brutal Louisiana summers:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjdBxRoaVi8[/media]
Thanks for the clarification, Gary.
The cross has really developed nicely!

bpiela said:

I am growing the Bonda Mahala F4.  I got seeds off of one of the seed trains that Jeff Contonio runs.  Your plants and garden look great.  Looking forward to seeing more pics as the season goes on.

Thanks for growing it! I'm looking forward to seeing how the peppers come out...

Thanks for stopping by...I will keep this thing updated!

PaulG said:
Thanks for the clarification, Gary.
The cross has really developed nicely!

Thanks Paul! You may notice from the video that for the last 3 or 4 generations I've been selecting a bit more toward the Yellow 7 parent, as I was going for more heat than the early generations were putting out...

I did notice that those pods are a little bumpier 
than I remember.  I remember the Yellow 7 as 
being a smoother skinned pod. Maybe I'm senile!

I'd really like some of the Bonda Mahala and the 
Yellow NagaBbrain seeds if you have spares.
I'd be happy to pay the postage. I wouldn't be 
able to grow them until next season at this point.

Also, I'm planning on getting isolated seed from 
all my plants this season, so if there is anything 
in my grow you like, I'll be happy to send seeds 
in the Fall, as well.

windchicken said:
.... I want to see your photos of those tall Anaheim plants!

Dayamn Gary, so do I!! But I'll need a free couple of days to whittle through all these CDs and hard drives...There must be tens of thousand of pics on them all...Though I do remember the year, 2008; That was the summer I discovered Big&Rich via a live show...In fact the pics were taken the same day, on the first weekend of August.

Well shucks...Did I just narrow that search down wif muh brayne or whut?!?

:party:

PaulG said:
I did notice that those pods are a little bumpier 
than I remember.  I remember the Yellow 7 as 
being a smoother skinned pod. Maybe I'm senile!

I'd really like some of the Bonda Mahala and the 
Yellow NagaBbrain seeds if you have spares.
I'd be happy to pay the postage. I wouldn't be 
able to grow them until next season at this point.

Also, I'm planning on getting isolated seed from 
all my plants this season, so if there is anything 
in my grow you like, I'll be happy to send seeds 
in the Fall, as well.

Lol, no you're right, Paul...Yellow 7 is normally smooth, but sometimes it gets bumpy....The Yellow 7 and Bonda Mahala both seem to exhibit some bumpiness during certain times of the season, but I can't say exactly when...

I've got plenty of F7 Mahala seeds, which are essentially stable, so you got it, my friend! I seem to remember that there is a nice stock of Yellow NagaBrain as well. I may need you to send me your shipping address on the PM....

stettoman said:

Dayamn Gary, so do I!! But I'll need a free couple of days to whittle through all these CDs and hard drives...There must be tens of thousand of pics on them all...Though I do remember the year, 2008; That was the summer I discovered Big&Rich via a live show...In fact the pics were taken the same day, on the first weekend of August.

Well shucks...Did I just narrow that search down wif muh brayne or whut?!?

:party:

Lol, Eric, it's funny how that works, right??? Don't go to all that trouble just for me...I've had similar experience with NuMex 6-4 and NuMex Sandia Select getting really tall and very bushy... 

It's good to see someone down here in the South having success with some of the NuMex varieties.

I'm trying out some NuMex 6-4's this year.  I've been half-way expecting them to struggle with the humidity.  It gives me hope seeing other people in a similar climate having success growing these varieties.

windchicken said:

Lol, Eric, it's funny how that works, right??? Don't go to all that trouble just for me...I've had similar experience with NuMex 6-4 and NuMex Sandia Select getting really tall and very bushy... 

Heh heh, oh, I have a number of people, including my own stubbornly absent memory wanting another gander at those pics.

Hey, I actually got some P Dreadies cooperating with me this season. I gave one to our vet, who besides prolonging the lives of our geriatric dog & kitty population grows Habaneros...I think he's in for a very pleasant surprise!

DontPanic said:
It's good to see someone down here in the South having success with some of the NuMex varieties.

I'm trying out some NuMex 6-4's this year.  I've been half-way expecting them to struggle with the humidity.  It gives me hope seeing other people in a similar climate having success growing these varieties.

The New Mexico varieites actually grow and produce very well here in Louisiana. Humidity is not the problem, it's root rot...The plants do not like to have their feet wet for more than a few hours. However, I've found that when I build my beds very high, like 18-24", and use plenty of hardwood mulch to discourage erosion and to promote soil fertility, my New Mexico plants are very, very happy....

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRfy661mdKo&t=6s[/media]

stettoman said:

Heh heh, oh, I have a number of people, including my own stubbornly absent memory wanting another gander at those pics.

Hey, I actually got some P Dreadies cooperating with me this season. I gave one to our vet, who besides prolonging the lives of our geriatric dog & kitty population grows Habaneros...I think he's in for a very pleasant surprise!

Awesome dude!!! I'm looking forward to seeing pix of those Dreadies!!! Man, I miss growing that one...

windchicken said:

The New Mexico varieites actually grow and produce very well here in Louisiana. Humidity is not the problem, it's root rot...The plants do not like to have their feet wet for more than a few hours. However, I've found that when I build my beds very high, like 18-24", and use plenty of hardwood mulch to discourage erosion and to promote soil fertility, my New Mexico plants are very, very happy....

I've got mine in a raised bed, but it's a low raised bed, only 5-6" high.

I still had a few extras (I always over-plant seedlings), so I'll try those in a grow bag, and compare them to my in-ground NuMex 6-4s. Grow bags do a really good job of shedding excess water.

Hey Gary...great to see you on here. I fall into the same neglected glog category over the past several years I try, but always end up at least feeling too busy to keep it going. Hope to see more from DeSoto Parish this season. I know your grow will be epic as always.

Back