• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Windows 10: Electronic Tyranny

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
OH MY GOD LETS BURN MICROSOFT TO THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!

Or, uhm, maybe just go into settings and disable the shit this paranoid freak is ranting about. 
http://www.howtogeek.com/221869/how-to-disable-or-configure-location-tracking-in-windows-10/

It's not hard. 

Did you hear around the 15 minute mark where she said it was "satanic motivated"? :rolleyes:

I'm more concerned about Siri -  when I set a reminder, why would it need to go to an Apple server, then back to my phone? You can't set a reminder if you're not connected to the internet. What possible reason would there be to communicate your reminders to Apple?  Baffling. And people use it every day and have no issues with this. 

Actually, people just think that because Apple could buy the COUNTRY'S debt without even feeling it - that they aren't doing malicious things with out data.

I'm not saying that I agree w/ that sentiment, per se, but that's the perception ...

There aren't crappy infographics in the Snowden docs w/ Apple services/hardware ... at least not that I've seen ... yet, anyways ...
Heckle said:

This was mentioned in the video. I hadnt checked it out yet as I'm working.

Yeah, I Googled it while listening to it ...

LOL'd at the 4:20 on the promotional pic ...

dragonsfire said:
lol, its allot more then Mic/Vid. They have full access to your bank accounts and passwords if you do finances on line.
Theirs a video on how to get some privacy back in the settings but not all.

I just went through settings ==> privacy and turned off every single component. 

She even said in the preface, "if you choose automatic install" - because all that does is turn on the keystroke monitor and microphone access. 

You can go tab by tab and turn every single component off.

http://www.howtogeek.com/221869/how-to-disable-or-configure-location-tracking-in-windows-10/

They do not have access to your bank accounts and finances. Get a grip. 

Its funny being 'addicted' to my computing device since long time...listening to the laughter, comments, etc....

and now everyone cant live without their smartphone.

Jokes on you bitches.

see I was basically made one of the 10 percent who cant recreationally use anything...

but the 90 percent...yall were lured in

I just went through settings ==> privacy and turned off every single component. 

She even said in the preface, "if you choose automatic install" - because all that does is turn on the keystroke monitor and microphone access. 

You can go tab by tab and turn every single component off. They do not have access to your bank accounts and finances. Get a grip. 

You know someday soon it will tell you its disabled while secretly being on...

Y'all do realize this chick is basically trashing MS and Google and everyone else in order to pimp her own products, right? 

It's called fear-based sales. House alarm companies show you graphic scenes of helpless women and children getting home invasion'd to sell you alarm systems. 

She's selling you email and an "alternative to google" 

The more she scares you into not trusting others, she's attempting to sell you on trusting her stuff. :rolleyes: 

Fear-mongering is not a new tactic, but it remains effective. 

grantmichaels said:
Most of the points she made are completely valid.

What does your password manager and 30 char alpha numberic w/ symbols "hard" password matter when there's a full-time keylogger ...

Except she conveniently forgets to tell people that you can turn that off. All of it. Every single component she's concerned about - one click each disables them. How someone rants with paranoia bordering on delusional panic about something for a full 30 mins without once bothering to mention that it's literally a second to disable is beyond me. :doh: 

The reason the "mass media" isn't talking more about any of this is because most of it isn't new - Microsoft has had these features for years, but now by default more of them are turned on. Don't panic - just turn them off. It's super, super easy to do. Problem solved in 29 mins, 56 seconds less than listening to this wing nut try to sell me her search engine & "private mail system to protect my secrets". 

Y'all do realize this chick is basically trashing MS and Google and everyone else in order to pimp her own products, right? 

It's called fear-based sales. House alarm companies show you graphic scenes of helpless women and children getting home invasion'd to sell you alarm systems. 

The more she scares you into not trusting others, she's attempting to sell you on trusting her stuff. :rolleyes:

You're position is antiquated.
dragonsfire said:
Smart phones are on even when you turn them off, that info has been around for a long time.

They've known your gait and if it's you who are carrying them since the gyros were put in, too ...
Heckle said:

You're simply wrong about this.

I agree.

Heckle said:

You're simply wrong about this.

No, I am not. How do they have access to my bank accounts if I've disabled the keystroke monitor? They don't have my bank passwords, nor can they access my account. 

If you're going to tell someone they're "simply wrong about" anything, the onus is on you to prove them wrong. Show me proof that Microsoft can access my banking info once I've disabled all of the "features" described here? 

I'll wait....

The problem is her fear based tactics are true. You cant discount facts based on her selling other things.

Apple went so far in their cooperation as to make it so you cant remove the battery to actually turn it off.

No, I am not. How do they have access to my bank accounts if I've disabled the keystroke monitor? They don't have my bank passwords, nor can they access my account. 

If you're going to tell someone they're "simply wrong about" anything, the onus is on you to prove them wrong. Show me proof that Microsoft can access my banking info once I've disabled all of the "features" described here? 

I'll wait....

Your talking about the operating system they designed. Did you go through the code to make sure when you turn it off its actually off?

grantmichaels said:

You're position is antiquated.

How so? I'd say my position is accurate. I did research, and learned how to disable any monitoring discussed by this woman. I listened to her ramblings about everything evil about MS and Google, while nonchalantly interjecting that HER company's email and search engines were secure and would never do those evil satanic things. 

This woman actually invoked "spiritual assault" and "satanic motivated" and you think my  position is antiquated? 
:rolleyes: 

Wow. Just...wow. I hope your new tinfoil hat fits better than your old one dude. 

I'll wait....

MUSCULAR, PRISM, XKeyscore, Pinwale, Blarney, MARINA, TRAFFICTHIEF, Boundless Informant, etc etc etc ...

And those are just the one's that are out'd ...

You need watch some C3, man ...

http://media.ccc.de/

How so? I'd say my position is accurate. I did research, and learned how to disable any monitoring discussed by this woman. I listened to her ramblings about everything evil about MS and Google, while nonchalantly interjecting that HER company's email and search engines were secure and would never do those evil satanic things. 

This woman actually invoked "spiritual assault" and "satanic motivated" and you think my  position is antiquated? 
:rolleyes:

Wow. Just...wow. I hope your new tinfoil hat fits better than your old one dude. 

Time will prove you exactly wrong.

Do you even know that Windows has kept a secret history of websites visited for at least several iterations now?

Yet you can go erase your history...

but you cant.

Your logic is faulty because what grant and I are saying is and already has been happening.

Your justifications, names and insults are just the result of cognitive bias and probably some dissonance.

Heckle said:

Your talking about the operating system they designed. Did you go through the code to make sure when you turn it off its actually off?

Did you go through the code to make sure that when you turn it off it is in fact on? 

Please post your evidence of this. I'll wait. 
Heckle said:

Your justifications, names and insults are just the result of cognitive bias and probably some dissonance.

Please use the quote feature if you intend to accuse me of something I've not done. 

Please use the quote feature if you intend to accuse me of something I've not done. 

Tinfoil hat isnt an insult?

Cuz I'm pretty sure thats your name and your words. Need it quoted still?

If you don't pay attention, you don't know what the warrant canaries are ...

You have to be know the folks, and know what & when they are signaling ...

Follow @csoghoian, @ioerror etc ...

For instance, @netik leaving Twitter ... definite signal.

Even if it is very easy to just turn these functions off (personally I don't believe they'd honestly give a user that simple of an out, but whatever), don't you wonder why they're there to begin with?
     I mean if the chef intentionally puts a turd in your soup, I guess you can just pull it out quietly at the table. But why would someone accept the fact that the cook put a turd in your soup to begin with?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Even if it is very easy to just turn these functions off (personally I don't believe they'd honestly give a user that simple of an out, but whatever), don't you wonder why they're there to begin with?
     I mean if the chef intentionally puts a turd in your soup, I guess you can just pull it out quietly at the table. But why would someone accept the fact that the cook put a turd in your soup to begin with?

Because I use a computer to do my job - and this particular chef (and Apple alike) have been putting turds in our soup for decades now. 

And since we don't have a lot of restaurant options, we simply remove the turd and try to enjoy the rest of our now turd-less soup. 

As for "would they really make it that easy?" - as a matter of fact, yes. The woman in this audio barrage of paranoia even said at the very beginning, they're only enabled if you install with the default option of "let us configure for you" - and all those configurations can be disabled. Every single one she discussed. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I see a Prisoner marathon in your future.  :D This show is right up your alley, man. I grew up on it.

It is in my future. I'm just finishing up Texas Rising first.

Because I use a computer to do my job - and this particular chef (and Apple alike) have been putting turds in our soup for decades now. 

And since we don't have a lot of restaurant options, we simply remove the turd and try to enjoy the rest of our now turd-less soup. 

As for "would they really make it that easy?" - as a matter of fact, yes. The woman in this audio barrage of paranoia even said at the very beginning, they're only enabled if you install with the default option of "let us configure for you" - and all those configurations can be disabled. Every single one she discussed. 

Disable the secret browsing history I mentioned.

I'll wait.

Back