• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Wing Sauce from Scratch

CaJohn is hosting the Columbus North Market show on Feb 21st, and one of the things he is having at the show is a wing sauce contest. I do not know squat about making a wing sauce other than pouring some out of a bottle. I am looking for a recipe to make a basic wing sauce. I will totally retool the recipe to my liking, but the measurement part of it is what I need. I know DefCon has perfected it with cream, but I do not want to go this way. If I am going to try something I want to make it unique. So if anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks.

the above idea is kind of a asian inspired sweet chilli yopu may even want to add a couple tablespoons of capac manis (sweet soy) or similiar or subt=stitue the salt for soy I dunno.
You may also want to just disregard lol.

stillmanz said:
Bhudda give anything a go.
heres one straight off the top of my head.
Never tested.

200 gm Habanero
100 gm cayenne or similiar.
2 tbs salt
5 tbs honey
1 tsp cummin
1 tbs fresh cilantro
5 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs Ginger crushed
1 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup AC Vinigar.
I'm you make that I bet it will win.....
lol
probably not but I bet its different from the rest.
cheers

Mick

Thanks Mick, just what I needed. My recipe won't duplicate yours at all, but I have what I was looking for. Now all I need is a gram conversion chart. lol

stillmanz said:
If you were thiunking adding fruit I would remove honey and replace with brown sugar, mango papaya of pineapple or all of the above could be suitable.

I do love my pineapple, but not for this wing sauce. No fruit or honey. A secret ingredient. :cool:

stillmanz said:
that should make a fairly thick "clingy" brew depending on how you are going to reduce it.

I am not using your recipe, just the measurement parts. I am not sure what a gram is, so I will have to find a measurement equilivant. I have never made a hot sauce before. I tried once, but I didn't really use a recipe just ingredients. I am doing the same, but I want the measurements close as possible. I don't want it too vinegary nor lacking.

stillmanz said:
minimum 20 to 25 percent vinegar / lime of total recipe. (as a rough guide for safty aspects)remeber you can use thickeners to help bind the sauce or reduce it down.

examples of thickeners are...?

Thanx for the conversion chart!

It's got a good flavor too. I prefer it to corn starch. If you don't want it to clump mix it with a little of the vinegar you are using first. Some people mix it with water, but then you are adding water as an ingredient to your sauce, and there's no need to do that if you have liquid ingredients.

thehotpepper.com said:
It's got a good flavor too. I prefer it to corn starch. If you don't want it to clump mix it with a little of the vinegar you are using first. Some people mix it with water, but then you are adding water as an ingredient to your sauce, and there's no need to do that if you have liquid ingredients.

How is it sold? Where in the store am I looking for it. I figure in produce with the veggies, but no clue really.

No prob. If it's not in a small shaker, look for a larger shaker, or box, or bag.

Aren't most traditional wing sauces cayenne based with some sort of dairy products added. I seem to remember one of these hot sauce contests where the wing sauces where expected to be "traditional" style

I Australianized it a bit...
we don't do wings like that in oz we tend to traditionally roast them them in the oven after marinating them.
this wing thing is new to me, all the wing sauces I have made and sold have been designed to cause chaos and discomfit .......lol

POTAWIE said:
Aren't most traditional wing sauces cayenne based with some sort of dairy products added. I seem to remember one of these hot sauce contests where the wing sauces where expected to be "traditional" style

Yeah, that's why I'm not crazy about wing sauces. I don't care for cayennes, they taste...cheap. Prolly because of the poor wing sauces I tasted first.

Back