• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Wing Sauce from Scratch

CaJohn is hosting the Columbus North Market show on Feb 21st, and one of the things he is having at the show is a wing sauce contest. I do not know squat about making a wing sauce other than pouring some out of a bottle. I am looking for a recipe to make a basic wing sauce. I will totally retool the recipe to my liking, but the measurement part of it is what I need. I know DefCon has perfected it with cream, but I do not want to go this way. If I am going to try something I want to make it unique. So if anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks.

Pam said:
Yeah, that's why I'm not crazy about wing sauces. I don't care for cayennes, they taste...cheap. Prolly because of the poor wing sauces I tasted first.

POTAWIE said:
Aren't most traditional wing sauces cayenne based with some sort of dairy products added. I seem to remember one of these hot sauce contests where the wing sauces where expected to be "traditional" style

I am using some cayenne pepper powder in my recipe, but I have another pepper(fresh) in mind to be my base. Most wing sauces are cayenne based including the great Defcon Wing Sauces. In order to make a product, I think it needs to be different, or else why don't you just buy it at the store instead? I plan on experimenting as I like to do, and if it fails, just a small bit of money went into it anyway. No harm, no foul. If something comes out of it, I will be too dumb to know how I did it to begin with. :lol: Must remember to bring a pen and paper to the kitchen. :scared:

Buddah said:
CaJohn is hosting the Columbus North Market show on Feb 21st, and one of the things he is having at the show is a wing sauce contest. I do not know squat about making a wing sauce other than pouring some out of a bottle. I am looking for a recipe to make a basic wing sauce. I will totally retool the recipe to my liking, but the measurement part of it is what I need. I know DefCon has perfected it with cream, but I do not want to go this way. If I am going to try something I want to make it unique. So if anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks.

DAMMMMMMIIIIIITTTT I wish I had found out about this one earlier!!! My wife has to work all next weekend (cuz the sub/pizza shop she works for will be at a competition) If I were able to go I would enter the wing sauce contest with my INFAMOUS FLAMING (no really FLAMING) HOT WING SAUCE!!!!!!!!! I'd clear out the whole area from the fumes!!!!!!!! LMAO

Dyce51 said:
DAMMMMMMIIIIIITTTT I wish I had found out about this one earlier!!! My wife has to work all next weekend (cuz the sub/pizza shop she works for will be at a competition) If I were able to go I would enter the wing sauce contest with my INFAMOUS FLAMING (no really FLAMING) HOT WING SAUCE!!!!!!!!! I'd clear out the whole area from the fumes!!!!!!!! LMAO

You can swing by the North Market and tell CaJohn you want into the competition, give him your contact info and leave your wing sauce. You are not cooking with it, CaJohn is applying on the wings for you.

Buddah said:
You can swing by the North Market and tell CaJohn you want into the competition, give him your contact info and leave your wing sauce. You are not cooking with it, CaJohn is applying on the wings for you.

I won't be able to...I have to watch my kids and my wife has to work at the sub/pizza shop here in Brunswick....her boss and a few others are going down to Columbus.....

First wing sauce in the books. It is more like a thick meat sauce than a thing wing sauce. As for flavor, it is similar to a tex-mex sauce which I like. Not sure it qualifies for the wing competition, but I will enter it anyway since the flavor isn't too bad. Whether it sticks on chicken wings is another story all together.

I might make another attempt before I go on Friday, but I have other things to do before then. It was fun though, thanks for the help Mick. The recipe was a great starting point because I used most of your measurements with my ingredient list.

Here is a little update on my wing sauce before I leave for Ohio to the North Market Show. I actually made such a thick sauce that it is like mud. The flavor is not bad as I got 2 people to sample it and they said they liked the flavor. It is much like a tex-mex taco sauce without the pourable feature. I am proud of the first attempt, and even more so with the 2nd attempt. While the first sauce featured cumin, I decided to make the 2nd one Asian influenced when I found some Toasted Sesame Oil and decided to give it a try. It was purely experimental because not only did I use the Toasted Sesame Oil, but added Blackstrap molasses, blue agave nectar, ginger, cocoa powder green onion, cilantro and a few other ingredients along with my selected pepper choices- cayenne and jalapeno. While the other one is thick this one is probably too thin as I tried hard to make up the difference between the two. Once you try it you immediately taste the Oriental influence and when it hits the throat you taste a little bit of a Louisiana sauce. I was amazed by this. I am calling this one Asian Cajun, and the other one Cement Mixer because it is like wet cement in consistency. Both sauces carry a nice cayenne burn, so all in all, I am proud of my first attempts despite the fact I made mistakes with both sauces. It was fun.

I am off for the North Market show, and if I don't win for my sauces it is all good. I am hoping to win something in the chili cookoff though. Any prize would be cool. :)

Thanks guys! I am afraid I made sauces that weren't exactly classified as wing sauces so they didn't stack up I am afraid. They tasted good, but the consistency was off and the flavor was not characteristic of a wing sauce. I enjoyed trying though! :)

Thanks for all the help and support guys!

I keep reading this topic as "Wing Sauce from Scotch"

Now there's an idea....
4.gif

Pam said:
Doesn't Jack Daniels make a whole line of barbecue and wing sauces? Do they use actual whiskey or just some mash?

I had the Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce (chilli one) and I've got the Jim Beam's one and I hate whiskey but it was tolerable. I know the Jim Beam's one has 'Jim Beam's' in the ingredients.

rainbowberry said:
I had the Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce (chilli one) and I've got the Jim Beam's one and I hate whiskey but it was tolerable. I know the Jim Beam's one has 'Jim Beam's' in the ingredients.

Hmmm, a quick perusal of the Jack Daniels site doesn't mention the whiskey in any of the barbeque sauces, but it does mention the flavor of Jack Daniels whiskey in the steak sauces.

http://www.jackdanielssauces.com/bbq/bbq_products.aspx

I've had a couple of the store-bought ones, and wasn't very impressed.

This sounds more like it:

The Fort's Whisky BBQ Sauce

Ingredients
2 cups chili sauce
2 cups fresh orange juice
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup whiskey
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup brown sugar
Directions

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

Use immediately or cool and refrigerate for up to 10 days.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20284,00.html

It's a citrusy-sweet sauce..that I think could make a fun wing sauce if ya changed it up some. :)

Back