• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Wouldn't call yellow 7 a "super" hot.. Super tasty yes. [/background]

I consider a 'superhot' to be any kind of chilli at or above Bhut Jolokia (Assam) heat and some of the yellow 7's I have grown have been that hot hence why I consider them 'Superhots'. Might not be your definition of a superhot sure but I consider all of the 7pot/pods 'superhots' They aren't the hottest 'superhot' (ie. like my TS Marouga Blend is much hotter to me) you are right there

Douglah is super hot
Butch T is super hot
Moruga is super hot

Yellow 7 even bhut jolokia are sort of below this level aka they are bearable eaten raw. The 3 above are incredible when eaten raw you have to cook them add them as an ingredient into something or its just pain and vommitting

I eat TS Marouga Blend Raw without cooking with no more issues then the other chillies I eat so again I will have to politely disagree with your opinion of a 'superhot'

DIsclaimer I am not saying that I eat whole pods or anything outlandish but a chunk of raw pod

The way I see it, anything hotter than a Hab is pretty much a "superhot" (or as you reckon, Trips, Bhut level or higher). I don't really see it having anything to do with ones own tolerance to heat... it's more of a general classification thing (mild, medium, hot... superhot).

That's my 0.02 anyway.

The way I see it, anything hotter than a Hab is pretty much a "superhot" (or as you reckon, Trips, Bhut level or higher). I don't really see it having anything to do with ones own tolerance to heat... it's more of a general classification thing (mild, medium, hot... superhot).

That's my 0.02 anyway.

Yeah I agree there are only the couple of random types that sit above the Habs but below the bhuts IMO and they are the
Bonda Ma Jacques and Fatalii in my experience but I wouldn't probably consider either a superhot

I'm starting to build my seed stock for the coming season and can't seem to find any Datil seeds? Anyone know of an online seed site that has them? I'd prefer an Australian site but overseas will do.
Also, anyone know the name of those long thin black ones and where to get them? pasillo something?

Hey Mega, i'll have a look through my collection and see if I have any spare Datil seeds.

I only know of Pasilla Bajio as a long dark/black Chilli but it does have a few names like Chile Negro.

Micca

Douglah is super hot
Butch T is super hot
Moruga is super hot

Yellow 7 even bhut jolokia are sort of below this level aka they are bearable eaten raw. The 3 above are incredible when eaten raw you have to cook them add them as an ingredient into something or its just pain and vommitting

Id have to disagree with you entirely, you would need to prove your theory with the "Ballsack Test"

Step 1. Cut a Bhut Jolokia in half (lengthways) & rub contents on to said ballsack* (a small Bhut in your case) :D

Step 2. Sit there without moving, flinching or crying like a little girl.

If you can complete the "Ballsack Test" with no ill effects its obviously not a superhot is it?

Mezo.

* you need to be a bloke to do the Ballsack Test.

Good Datil seeds seem to be something that's difficult to find. I mentioned Pureflorida as it was referenced as a good source.

Another place with Datil seeds and a photo is Fireworksfoods.com.au.
That fireworksfoods looks a bit pricey, every type of seed seems to be $7.95 They have nothing with `trinidad` in the name and their listing for Bhut Jolokia hasn't been updated to include a description yet. So they are obviously a bit behind the current trend in chillies. It basically states they are just drop shipping from the usda seedbank, which is fine but it should be cheaper.
Mega this site is in WA and has the seeds you are looking for

Chilli and Spice I have used them before however can not verify what there seed quality is like however the packaging and service was good
I've heard good things of them before, $4 for a seed packet is cheaper.
Hey Mega, i'll have a look through my collection and see if I have any spare Datil seeds.

I only know of Pasilla Bajio as a long dark/black Chilli but it does have a few names like Chile Negro.

Micca
Thanks but Grant is going to send me some datil seeds. Gotta love the generous people on this site. :clap: :cheers:

Id have to disagree with you entirely, you would need to prove your theory with the "Ballsack Test"

Step 1. Cut a Bhut Jolokia in half (lengthways) & rub contents on to said ballsack* (a small Bhut in your case) :D

Step 2. Sit there without moving, flinching or crying like a little girl.

If you can complete the "Ballsack Test" with no ill effects its obviously not a superhot is it?

Mezo.

* you need to be a bloke to do the Ballsack Test.

This test would put birds eyes into the super hot category then lol almost any chilli doing this would warm up your balls to an itchy pain

They have nothing with `trinidad` in the name and their listing for Bhut Jolokia hasn't been updated to include a description yet. So they are obviously a bit behind the current trend in chillies.

They do sound a little behind in the times! Makes you wonder too what age some of their seeds might be.... :think:

I'm in but I'm from Mount Gambier in South Australia my seeds are just 3 weeks old (thats since i planted them not when they showed through) yesterday and have 4-6 true leaves I'm growing butch t. But I'm also going to cheat with 4-5 plants are going to be hydro grown

http://t.co/8tBFJqK1

Photo on my twitter that was just over a week ago

They do sound a little behind in the times! Makes you wonder too what age some of their seeds might be.... :think:

My guess is they went through the usda seed list a few years ago and picked out the ones they thought sounded interesting and then listed them as available for sale. When they get an order they get it shipped from the usda to the customer so they don't handle the seeds or hold any in stock themself. Just a guess. It's an efficient way to do business but costly to the customer and there are plenty of other vendors who grow the seeds themselves and so can offer them at much cheaper rate. Some people are willing to pay $ rather than search online for seed or risk using different vendors. If you're really into chillis its no hassle to keep up with trends and explore different seed sources.

I've got regular jalapeno seeds but I want to grow a bigger type one this season are billy bikers large, have any different flavour?

That fireworksfoods looks a bit pricey, every type of seed seems to be $7.95 They have nothing with `trinidad` in the name and their listing for Bhut Jolokia hasn't been updated to include a description yet. So they are obviously a bit behind the current trend in chillies. It basically states they are just drop shipping from the usda seedbank, which is fine but it should be cheaper.

I've heard good things of them before, $4 for a seed packet is cheaper.

Thanks but Grant is going to send me some datil seeds. Gotta love the generous people on this site. :clap: :cheers:

No probs.

With Fireworks their website has not been updated for a long time. Not too sure if they are still selling?
My Datil seeds originally came from them and getting the true Datil can be hard to find sometimes.
Back when I used them(maybe 5 odd years ago) they had a collection that no one else had(and some still don't) of Chinense seeds but have always been expensive.

Micca

I'm in but I'm from Mount Gambier in South Australia my seeds are just 3 weeks old (thats since i planted them not when they showed through) yesterday and have 4-6 true leaves I'm growing butch t. But I'm also going to cheat with 4-5 plants are going to be hydro grown

http://t.co/8tBFJqK1

Photo on my twitter that was just over a week ago

They look nice and green :)

No probs.

With Fireworks their website has not been updated for a long time. Not too sure if they are still selling?

Fireworks Foods did change the way they had seeds listed last year (31 May 2011).

My Datil seeds originally came from them and getting the true Datil can be hard to find sometimes.
Back when I used them(maybe 5 odd years ago) they had a collection that no one else had(and some still don't) of Chinense seeds but have always been expensive.

Micca

Do you have any photos showing how the Datil from them turned out? Was it hot and sweet?

Yeah the website did change a bit last year but the selection is very similar.

I don't think I have a picture of the Datil. I remember it having a nice Chinense flavour and aroma and was a Hab type heat. Not too sure about sweet?
I did grow a Sweet Datil(turns red) that was suppose to be Mild but turned out Med/Hot. Excellent flavour and was sort of sweet/fruity and not too hot. I used to use this one alot in cooking.
I did keep some isolated seed a couple of years ago if interested?

Micca

Back