• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I saved some seeds from `jalapenos x-large` I bought in woolworths last year. Do you think it's worth trying to grow them? I'm thinking the chances of cross pollination are low from a commercial grower who does a lot of one variety, (they have these chillies for sale all the time), but is there a chance they are an unstable hybrid that won't grow true? I don't think they'd worry about people growing out the seeds and they'd be stable.

Without knowing anything about the growing conditions, I would assume there is a chance of cross-pollination (on consideration that the growers probably do grow other varieties) but I would also assume it to be miniscule (on consideration that varieties would most likely be separated).

Like Trips said, moo, give it a go!

hi guys,
i have a couple of 1st year Bhuts and scorpions in the ground that didnt produce a single fruit this year. Plenty of flowers that all dropped.
I put this down to the brutally hot summer we had this year.
What iv'e read here is these plants do better in their seconed year and was wondering how to prune or cut back the plants.
Or should i just remove them and reuse the space for new ones?
Cheers,
Kevvy

Could be a case o not getting any pollination between the flowers so I woul be keep them and when they start flowering get a cotton ear bud and pollinate each flower by hand. At least that way you know that this actually happens.

But I would also plant Afew new ones and try pollinating them to see if that was the case. I hope this helps

hi guys,
i have a couple of 1st year Bhuts and scorpions in the ground that didnt produce a single fruit this year. Plenty of flowers that all dropped.
What iv'e read here is these plants do better in their seconed year and was wondering how to prune or cut back the plants.
Cheers,
Kevvy

Do you have any pics of the plants right now Kev? and did you have them in full sun all day? (i lived in Perth)

Mezo.

I will give them a go because I've got so much more space this season. I might sow them directly into a bed as an experiment.

Kevvy definitely keep them, already established plants don't have to spend half the season growing up and can start producing as soon as the temp lets them. How to overwinter them... that depends on where they are positioned. I have left chilli plants out all winter in Perth and they pulled through with no attention from me at all, but they got full sun all day and were well drained. If your plants are going to be in shade or get waterlogged from rain you will want to do something.

There is a guide on overwintering on this site:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25596-the-comprehensive-guide-to-over-wintering/
give that a read.

Thought id share this with the local boys, Loco 3237 passing past my front door half hour ago, brilliant. :D

See the wedding marquee & solar dehydrator. :party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkD_HjGGDE&feature=youtu.be

Sad thing is im just old enough to remember when steam trains were around as a kid.

3237.jpg

Mezo.

And it came the other way just half an hour ago (excuse my French) :D

And the train is coming back tomorrow (Sunday) git yer tickets boys & wave at Mezo when you pass through the mountain range.

Wfooo, whooo"

Mezo.

Wfff wawoof whooooooooo whof! :D

You wait till tomorrow, now ive documented the boring shit im going to lay down on the line in the morning Gas, Chooo Whoo.

Yep inches form the wheels & with my left arm ill be signalling the driver to yank his chain.

Mezo.

hi guys,
Cheers,
Kevvy
Some of mine didn't produce all summer either, but are podding right now for the first time with the warm and dry autumn we are having. Strange hey?
Are yours somewhere that isn't getting any sun at all for them not to be podding now?
I wouldn't cut them back or prune them if they haven't podded, no need to IMHO, may as well leave them alone. Put them somewhere out of the rain is all you need to do.

Sorry guys its took me ages to reply, ive only got my right hand to type with, the left was chopped off by a frigging steam train. :party:

I could have gotten in a whole heap of shit laying down next to the line, so i thought better, but i took a few more videos.
Mezo.

I did it last year.
No benefit as far as germination, but it may kill any bacteria on it?
I'm thinking things like bacteria leaf spot or pepper mottle virus which are seed borne. But then again most sources say to prevent them you need a bleach or clorox based soak I think.

This year I didn't soak at all, just took seeds straight from the fridge and put them in coco coir and had faster germination than last year in seed raising mix or jiffys that may have been soaked in h2o2 or chamomile tea last year.
So doing nothing but putting them in coco coir worked faster than last years soaks, SRM, jiffiys, wet paper towels and everything. And some seeds this year were from the same pack from last year.
I think the difference was the SRM had bacteria and larvae in it (got a big case of fungus gnats from one), and even with jiffys, even if dehydrated, something is going on there since they go moldy once wet. But coco coir is sterile. I have no idea why the paper towel germination often went moldy for me either. But didn;t have to do anything with coco coir, straight from the fridge with seeds that took 2-3 weeks at least or rotted, they all work this year with coir, and very quickly!
Edit: check out my winter grow on another site you've already commented on. I've got 8 seeds sprouting pretty quickly, 5 mentioned there in under a week, 3 more at least in the last few days, and these seeds were planted 2nd june straight from the fridge with no soak.

I always use boiling water on my jiffy pellets to expand them to kill any mould spores and then let them cool to luke warm before placing the seeds in them. I also use chamomile tea soak for the seeds for the same reason. Coir is only as sterile as jiffy pellets. Not more so

Yeah like I said, something going on there with jiffys, I don't know what and i can't explain it. My coco coir lives outside in a pot for weeks after rehydrating with cold tap water. The only thing growing in there was a weed - as it was open to all elements. Then it sits in a heated tray kept nice and warm and moist, no sign of mold. That and the fact that my germination in april/may was 100%. And the seeds in june so far 8 seeds sprouted in 10 days (the first was only after 4-5 days).

It's a personal observation as I stuffed around with h2o2, chamomile, SRM, jiffys, paper towels etc, and at best I had to wait 2 weeks last year, and many didn't germinate because they went moldy or rotted out or have fungus gnats larvae.
Difference between using coir this year and all that stuffing around last year is night and day.
Not saying use coir, just saying I didn't bother with h2o2 or chamomile soaks this year and it went better than last year.

I had really crap germination in my first season and now I use a short H2O2 and then long chamomile tea soak and its up to nearly 100% I use an extra strong dose of peroxide for seeds that are hard to germinate. I've also used it to succesfully clean a batch of infected seeds. It's easy enough when you know how so I do it every time now.

I've never used the cold period method but it sounds like it works too. There was a link about it on here ages ago. Cheaper and safer than buying and mixing up chemicals.

Edit: With the soak I get better results with jiffy pellets than seed raising mix, but the jiffy pellets do sometimes get mould or fungus on them. I find its cheaper to buy a bag of seed raising mix as I have lots of little pots already, rather than gettting jiffys all the time.

I'm going to experiment with coir in a hydro setup this season for the first stage of the plants life, before moving them outside in soil pots to fruit for spring..... thats the plan anyway.

Back