• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I meant to ask if anyone else other than me has a White Bhut producing pods:

Here's a spoiler:
5X6YC.jpg

First White Bhut pod

It's more of a light bright green than the photo shows. I had trouble with the colour of the photo in overcast conditions.

Nice work Harry. That White Bhut is looking damn fine there!!
Mine are waaaay behind that.

Micca

No, no... I think you misunderstood my wink. That's just my Choc Bhut. ;)

White Bhuts are still a little way off yet. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn Citrus Leaf Miner on my Sweet Lime!

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

Anyone know what kills 'em good?

Hey Gas let me know what you come up with. My Kaffir Lime has got the same problem so good to know what is causing it.

Also great looking pods there too! Sweeet!!!!

Micca

Nice work Harry. That White Bhut is looking damn fine there!!
Mine are waaaay behind that.

Thanks, I thought there would be more plants out there at the same stage of development as mine. The other pod that set about the same time as the one in my photo is shaping up to be a runt. There's a couple more tiny pods on the way.

Hey Gas let me know what you come up with. My Kaffir Lime has got the same problem so good to know what is causing it.

They say oil should do the trick so went ahead and sprayed with Eco-Oil. Will give it a bit and if nothing improves, might try Pyrethrum or Confidor or something. From what I have read, other than destroying the new growth, the little shits shouldn't really affect the plant in any other way. Some consolation, I guess....

Also great looking pods there too! Sweeet!!!!

Thanks man!

Too bad about this damn mite infestation though... otherwise I reckon I would be killing it this season! :mope:

As predicted too, the little shits are already back.... :banghead:

Hoping to talk to Biological Services this week (flipped 'em an email and they are gonna call me) and hopefully soon get a natural predator program into place.

Lookin' good gas.
God, I wish Vic would stay :hot: !!

Thanks man!

Stinkin' hot here today. Don't mind the heat but this humidity.........

Thanks, I thought there would be more plants out there at the same stage of development as mine. The other pod that set about the same time as the one in my photo is shaping up to be a runt. There's a couple more tiny pods on the way.

Looks like you are the first!! For some reason mine went dormant and then forgot to pot them up, so still only babies. I have got a fruit on my Purple Bhut though and will be interesting to see flavour/heat of it.
Micca

They say oil should do the trick so went ahead and sprayed with Eco-Oil. Will give it a bit and if nothing improves, might try Pyrethrum or Confidor or something. From what I have read, other than destroying the new growth, the little shits shouldn't really affect the plant in any other way. Some consolation, I guess....

Thanks man!

Cheers. I have sprayed with Eco Oil but it was for Scale. I’ll have to have a look and see if it has helped.
Damn bugs!!!!! We need to nuke their asses :flamethrower:

Micca

Hi guys dont want to hi jack this but this is the best place to ask as we're all in OZ and especially the Perth guys.
i have a couple of plants in less than average cheap potting mix and the chillis aint doin too well, i got a few pods but nothing to write home about.
Mostly dropped flowers and leaves and two plants looking pretty sad.
i have two more seedlings coming up and i want to put them into good potting mix with the correct ph.
ive read the soil post and done some research here and found a company called Soils aint Soils.
They do an Azalia and Camelia mix that they say is an acid soil but no detail on the exact ph. It contains wood fines/pine bark, sawdust, selected sands, compost, peat and fertiliser.
Has any one used or would use this for growing chillis?
Or does anyone have a recipie for a proven potting mix they can recommend.

Cheers, Kevvy

Hi guys dont want to hi jack this but this is the best place to ask as we're all in OZ and especially the Perth guys.
i have a couple of plants in less than average cheap potting mix and the chillis aint doin too well, i got a few pods but nothing to write home about.

Did you manage to drop the pH of the potting mix as you mentioned in your thread on the issue?

i have two more seedlings coming up and i want to put them into good potting mix with the correct ph.
ive read the soil post and done some research here and found a company called Soils aint Soils.
They do an Azalia and Camelia mix that they say is an acid soil but no detail on the exact ph. It contains wood fines/pine bark, sawdust, selected sands, compost, peat and fertiliser.

What is the Nitrogen content of the current generic potting mix compared to the Azalia and Camelia potting mix? There's not much to go on the alternative by looking at their Azalia and Camelia Mix page.

Did you manage to drop the pH of the potting mix as you mentioned in your thread on the issue?

i tried dropping the ph by adding iron sulphate on Dec27. Tested today and it's still at 7.
So iv'e stopped feeding and mucking about with them and only water after they've dried out or are looking wilted.
Starting to get new growth and more flower buds, will see how they go.

What is the Nitrogen content of the current generic potting mix compared to the Azalia and Camelia potting mix? There's not much to go on the alternative by looking at their Azalia and Camelia Mix page.

i dont know the answer that.
Thats what i thought about the Azalia mix, not much info. Would have to go and test it myself, if they would let me.
Reading what it's made of i dont think it would drain very well and not dry out.
Will have to go and check it out.

Cheers Kevvy

I wouldn't call that a hijack... this is after all an open Aussie growers thread. ;)

Could be wrong but hearing "acid soil" makes me think a fairly low pH (4.5 - 5.0ish?). Don't know if chillies would be classified as "acid lovers" either. From what I understand, they like a slightly acidic soil (6.0 - 6.8). (I dunno, does that qualify them as being acid lovers?)

Don't really pay much attention to soil pH myself. You could bet your bottom clam that if I started playing around and tried to amend the pH, I would more than likely stuff it up and make it worse or something! As long as my plants are growing at all, that's good enough for me for the time being (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

What are you using for your mix ATM, Kevvy?

i dont know the answer that.
Thats what i thought about the Azalia mix, not much info. Would have to go and test it myself, if they would let me.
Reading what it's made of i dont think it would drain very well and not dry out.
Will have to go and check it out.

I started my plants this season in Debco Seed Raising Mix and potted them up into 20 cm pots using the same mix. My goal was to find a light well draining mix that had a limited Nitrogen supply. The label on the mix lists 2 months of slow release fertiliser.

I knew the plants had depleted the Nitrogen in the mix after not fertilising them for a couple of weeks. An older leave or two on the plants turned yellow. I currently fertilise them using quarter strength Amgrow Nitrosol (1 mL per litre) in rain water.

The other mix I experimented with is Debco Propagation Mix. The idea again being to find a mix that isn't loaded with Nitrogen. I potted up my over wintered Fatalii plant, Seven Not plant and one Habanero plant using the Propagation Mix. The Fatalii plant had a small period of Nitrogen induced growth (longer internodes) that has passed.

A mix I won't be using again is Brunnings Tomato Magic. I had mixed results that match the mixed composition of this mix. Too much Nitrogen in one bag turned my compact Datil plant into a sprawling monster. My second Locato plant perhaps had bloom delayed by the same mix.

The later bags of Brunnings Tomato Magic mix consisted of uncomposted bark chips crawling with fungus. I ended up transplanting my first Trinidad Scorpion plant into the garden. Backfilling the hole with the same mix probably didn't help its cause.

Another mix I will not use again is Osmocoate Plus Organix Vegetable and Herbs Mix. My Ají Amarillo sprout always seemed to be wilting in this mix. I discovered the reason after noticing the bag came loaded with gnats. I placed the mix in garbage bags out in direct sunlight during the over 35 °C days to cook the little. I potted up the Ají Amarillo with the mix as it seems some predators moved in and killed the many of the gnats in that pot.

Could be wrong but hearing "acid soil" makes me think a fairly low pH (4.5 - 5.0ish?). Don't know if chillies would be classified as "acid lovers" either. From what I understand, they like a slightly acidic soil (6.0 - 6.8). (I dunno, does that qualify them as being acid lovers?)

A pH of the low 5s is also what came up when I searched for the pH range for Azalea and Camellia plants. The recommended pH range for Capsicums seems to vary wildly. 6.0 to 6.5 seems to be within the sweet spot of most recommended pH ranges.

Don't really pay much attention to soil pH myself. You could bet your bottom clam that if I started playing around and tried to amend the pH, I would more than likely stuff it up and make it worse or something! As long as my plants are growing at all, that's good enough for me for the time being (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

The last time I recall looking at a pH test was when I had issues with the large Rocoto plant setting fruits. Though it didn't seem to be the issue as the pH was 6.5 and there weren't signs of the associated nutrient lock out that accompany the wrong pH.

Thanks man!

Too bad about this damn mite infestation though... otherwise I reckon I would be killing it this season! :mope:

As predicted too, the little shits are already back.... :banghead:

Hoping to talk to Biological Services this week (flipped 'em an email and they are gonna call me) and hopefully soon get a natural predator program into place.

Thanks man!

Stinkin' hot here today. Don't mind the heat but this humidity.........

Confidor is my fav choice of weapon but Biological services are very helpful and that is who I used. However bought some Aphidius or Aphilinus earlier and asked my neighbour if he had many problems with aphids on his roses this season. He said he did at the start of the season and then they all suddenly disappeared. I think I paid for his pest erradication!!!

Cheers, Kevvy

Haven't read through here properly but I would avoid that mix. Chillies like around 5.5-6 PH and pine and wood would suck a lot of nitrogen out as it breaks down. I use Baileys premium potting mix in my plants.

I wouldn't call that a hijack... this is after all an open Aussie growers thread. ;)

What are you using for your mix ATM, Kevvy?

Yeah as Gas said ... jump aboard the thread ... the more the merrier .... speaking of merrier where is nova lately???

Gas I don't normally concern myself overly with pH of the soil but lately with a few things going wrong I have simply started lowering my slightly alkaline tap water with citric acid at each watering to a pH of between 5.8-6.3. Its amazing how little you need of it to lower a 10 litre bucket from 7.3 to 5.8 (I am talking a couple of very small sprinkles) just to ensure they are growing in the best conditions I can afford them.

The run through water came out at of the bottom of the pots around 6.8 so it would seem the soil is a little on the high side of the pH levels I want so it may be another tweak which helps.

Will see how plain pH adjusted waterings and the kelp/fulvic foliar sprays help in the coming few weeks .... lets hope they allow some choc bhuts and scotch bonnets to stop dropping flowers like they are at the moment. They are each dropping about 4-5 flowers a day without a single pod set (they are bigger plants now as well) and right beside them a younger Bhut Jolokia Assam has 5-6 pods set in the past week ... go figure .... something isn't quite adding up there. The amount of bud drop is quite disheartening at the moment (the heat lately will be a factor but it was happening before as well)

Currently it is 9.30pm and it is 26 degrees celcious with 85% humidity after a high of 33-34 today ... I hate this weather and tomorrow is supposed to be hotter again . Filthy humidity is giving me the shits ....it could at least rain a little ... we need it

EDIT: I am using amgrow organix (organic BFA cert) potting mix which has coir and zeolite plus some form of organic fert. Seems to be light while at the same time retaining moisture quite well ... although who knows maybe it has something to do with my less then startling season so far ...hard to tell as it was also amended with the searles 5in1 plus food and organic link ferts ... maybe too much of a good thing .... time will tell I suppose....

The potting mix im using is called GreenGrub no fertilizer content listed on bag.
current ph is 7 so if 6 is good then im still too high
This is my first year of superhots and i have made mistakes, after searching through here and asking questions i've figured out that i have over watered over fed
( 1/2 strength Seasol Powerfeed once a week). and too much fussing.

Harry good to know all those mixes to avoid.
Trippa i have been using vinegar to lower my alkaline water approx 200ml to 9lt to drop from 7 to 6. will try citric acid seeing as you dont use so much.

The weather here is hot now looks like over 30c for the next week so that should keep the flowers dropping for a while yet.

oh well going to keep on trying.

Cheers Kevvy

Gas I don't normally concern myself overly with pH of the soil but lately with a few things going wrong I have simply started lowering my slightly alkaline tap water with citric acid at each watering to a pH of between 5.8-6.3. Its amazing how little you need of it to lower a 10 litre bucket from 7.3 to 5.8 (I am talking a couple of very small sprinkles) just to ensure they are growing in the best conditions I can afford them.

So you use plain old tap water? Do you use anything to remove the chloramine?

Been saving rain water where I can (ha! hasn't been much of that lately) and using bottled water. Can't remember the pH range of either, but after testing both, both turned out to be slightly acidic.

Hopefully will finally get around to picking up ascorbic acid later on today. Pretty sure I can't afford to water my plants with bottled water anymore and who knows when we'll get another decent rain....

Confidor is my fav choice of weapon but Biological services are very helpful and that is who I used. However bought some Aphidius or Aphilinus earlier and asked my neighbour if he had many problems with aphids on his roses this season. He said he did at the start of the season and then they all suddenly disappeared. I think I paid for his pest erradication!!!

Haven't tried Confidor yet for my broad mite problem, but wouldn't be holding my breath either. The little shits have a resistance like you wouldn't believe! Even Rogor doesn't cut it anymore.

As my growing environment as a whole seems to be infested with broad mite, actually don't mind if my predators start branching out and colonizing in neighbours yards and keep those mite bastages at a good distance. That is, just as long as enough hang around my plants too!

Actually i don't think it does broadmite but it does a few other things and is systemic so it doesn't matter if you iss a leaf when spraying.

Yeah it's good if they clean up the neighbours too but as long as they dont move there and never come back :lol: But yeah obviously they go where food is. Stop spraying though because there is a certain amount of time you have to leave in between before you bring the beneficiaries in otherwise you will kill them. The stronger the longer, so make sure you ask them about Rogor first.

So you use plain old tap water? Do you use anything to remove the chloramine?

Been saving rain water where I can (ha! hasn't been much of that lately) and using bottled water. Can't remember the pH range of either, but after testing both, both turned out to be slightly acidic.

Hopefully will finally get around to picking up ascorbic acid later on today. Pretty sure I can't afford to water my plants with bottled water anymore and who knows when we'll get another decent rain....

Haven't tried Confidor yet for my broad mite problem, but wouldn't be holding my breath either. The little shits have a resistance like you wouldn't believe! Even Rogor doesn't cut it anymore.

As my growing environment as a whole seems to be infested with broad mite, actually don't mind if my predators start branching out and colonizing in neighbours yards and keep those mite bastages at a good distance. That is, just as long as enough hang around my plants too!

Gold Coast (in my limited research) does not have chloromine added to the water like Brisbane does only chlorine. (which is bad enough but the free chlorine will dissipate when left out for 24 hours. I don't have anywhere to collect rain water (in a 2nd story apartment) and not only that but it hasn't rained a decent amount for a while anyway

Cheers, Kevvy

Hey mate, lately i have been using my own mix and it has been doing well.
This is it.

125 ltrs cheapo potting mix, around 3.70 for 25 ltrs. 18.50 total.
40-50 ltrs Coarse perlite, at 40 per 100 ltrs so 20.
About 3 ltrs of Dynamic Lifter, 17 for 25ltr so about 2 bux worth.
60 ltr compressed block of coco coir potting mix, 12.
50 ltrs of mushroom compost, 7 a bag so 14.

End up with 288 ltrs of nice potting mix for 66.50 or it equats to 5.70 per 25 ltr. Try to get primo potting mix for that price! Also this mix is nice a light, provides nutrients via the dynamic lifter and mushroom compost and it also drains well whilst retaining moisture.

Cheers, Kevvy

Nice to have you aboard Kevvy.
Personally I wouldn't get any mix from Soils aint soils but thats only my opinion. I would second Wildfires suggestion of Baileys Premium Potting Mix. Been good in the past.
Also there is a place called Green Life Soil Co that has excellent potting mix and vege garden mix at a pretty good price Link- http://www.greenlifesoil.com.au/
I always add Perlite or Perlite/Vermiculite to my mix too to help with drainage.

Hope it all goes well for you,
Micca

Haven't read through here properly but I would avoid that mix. Chillies like around 5.5-6 PH and pine and wood would suck a lot of nitrogen out as it breaks down. I use Baileys premium potting mix in my plants.

Definately agree there Candice, that Confidor is da bomb! After 3 years of battling Aphids etc this is the first season I have been able to nuke their little asses.
Cheers again for putting me onto it!

Hey Gas, Confidor does not do Mites but have used Yates Natrasoap on Spider mites before with Success. Given you have got rogor though i'm sure their asses will burn!

Micca

Actually i don't think it does broadmite but it does a few other things and is systemic so it doesn't matter if you iss a leaf when spraying.

Yeah it's good if they clean up the neighbours too but as long as they dont move there and never come back :lol: But yeah obviously they go where food is. Stop spraying though because there is a certain amount of time you have to leave in between before you bring the beneficiaries in otherwise you will kill them. The stronger the longer, so make sure you ask them about Rogor first.

Yeah, was a bit concerned about the Rogor and beneficiaries and planned on mentioning it to Bio Services. It's been a few weeks now since I sprayed so it should no longer be in the plant (at least not in high levels) but still worried about residue around the plants, etc. I guess I'll just wait and see what they say.

The only sprays I have used since are Sulfur (a couple weeks ago so hopefully no dramas there) and Neem and Eco-Oil. Gonna be hard not spraying at all once the good guys move in though. Better get their asses into gear straight off the bat too. I see damage from the bad guys and my first instinct is to kill, kill, KILL! :hell:

Gold Coast (in my limited research) does not have chloromine added to the water like Brisbane does only chlorine. (which is bad enough but the free chlorine will dissipate when left out for 24 hours. I don't have anywhere to collect rain water (in a 2nd story apartment) and not only that but it hasn't rained a decent amount for a while anyway

Really? Wow. I just assumed GC would use chloramine now too.

My other idea is to find a nice clean lake/river/lagoon or something to flog water from. Any ideas? :lol:

Hey mate, lately i have been using my own mix and it has been doing well.
This is it.

125 ltrs cheapo potting mix, around 3.70 for 25 ltrs. 18.50 total.
40-50 ltrs Coarse perlite, at 40 per 100 ltrs so 20.
About 3 ltrs of Dynamic Lifter, 17 for 25ltr so about 2 bux worth.
60 ltr compressed block of coco coir potting mix, 12.
50 ltrs of mushroom compost, 7 a bag so 14.

End up with 288 ltrs of nice potting mix for 66.50 or it equats to 5.70 per 25 ltr. Try to get primo potting mix for that price! Also this mix is nice a light, provides nutrients via the dynamic lifter and mushroom compost and it also drains well whilst retaining moisture.

Nova ya bum! Where you been??

I've been thinking about adding a compost to my mix too. That mushroom stuff does alright then?

More than anything just looking for something I can add that will help the mix get wet/moist again once it dries out. The Coles potting mix on it's own (even with the coir... or maybe the coir is also to blame?) is a biatch to get wet again once it has dried out!

Have you found that compost helps with that kind of stuff? (Wouldn't have a clue myself... just a theory ATM)

Hey Gas, Confidor does not do Mites but have used Yates Natrasoap on Spider mites before with Success. Given you have got rogor though i'm sure their asses will burn!

Sadly, while Rogor was the shit to begin with (first time I used it, smashed the shit outta the mites and didn't see 'em for at least a month), the little bastages have now become resistant to it.

Even if it did still work though, don't reckon I would use it again anyway after finding out it has recently been banned for use on food crops. Noticed the other day it has even disappeared from the shelf at Bunnings.

And actually, Natrasoap does OK (seems to work better than oils anyway), but as repeat applications are a must and at a million dollars per little bottle, it's not really a solution I can afford ATM.

A mix I won't be using again is Brunnings Tomato Magic. I had mixed results that match the mixed composition of this mix. Too much Nitrogen in one bag turned my compact Datil plant into a sprawling monster. My second Locato plant perhaps had bloom delayed by the same mix.

Yeah, I won't be using it again either. Picked up a couple bags last season to use for my first pot ups and I have to admit, it did a decent job. Got a bag not so long ago this season and it was terrible! Too woody, bad texture, etc. The inconsistency between batches is through the roof!

I haven't noticed a problem with the mix getting wet at all. The water seems to soak up nice then drain when full, maybe the perlite is helping as well as the compost. My internet service has been playing up lately and i am on holidays still so have been relaxing :D

Got my worm farm producing jizz and made a couple of aero/dwc hybrid units, they seem to be going good.

Back