• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Im in contact with a lady over here on the east coast about bulk (trailer load) of potting mix suitable for chilli`s.

http://www.greenfingerspottingmix.com/contact/potting-mix/

She says here B2 mix would suit & sent me the analysis report on the stuff, anyone know if this is good?

B2pottingmix_zps83a24748.jpg

I did explain about the roots like to breath & water crystals were a no no, i also asked the price for a trailer load & she said a standard trailer will hold 3/4 of a cubic meter (750 ltrs) and the price is $107 inc gist, which works out roughtly five bucks per 35ltr bag & is just slightly cheaper than the deal i was getting at Norco (6 x 35 ltr bags) for $33.00.

Mezo.

My entire backface fence into my neighbours yard today....so windy in perth.

Now i haev to make sure their dog doesnt get in my veggies.

This rain is ruining my grow, i was hoping after transplanting i would get a week of sun, that way i can compare but nooooo the week it rains is this one hehe.

Any other perth go-ers having probs with the weather?

My entire backface fence into my neighbours yard today....so windy in perth.

Now i haev to make sure their dog doesnt get in my veggies.

This rain is ruining my grow, i was hoping after transplanting i would get a week of sun, that way i can compare but nooooo the week it rains is this one hehe.

My friend, the truth is, if you choose to become a grower of chillies, know this one thing: the weather will hate you. ;)

I don't know what we or our ancestors did, but the weather is pissed at us for something! You want sun? It will pour. You want rain? It will scorch. The weather will do everything in it's power to put an end to your operation. Belt your plants with wind, drop big balls of ice on them, whatever it has, it will throw. :lol:

Seriously though, it feels like it sometimes! Last season, every single time I went to mix potting mix for pot ups or attempt to foliar feed my plants or whatever, it would start raining. Clear skies one minute, grey and pissing down the next. I'm not kidding!

Im in contact with a lady over here on the east coast about bulk (trailer load) of potting mix suitable for chilli`s.

http://www.greenfing...ct/potting-mix/

She says here B2 mix would suit & sent me the analysis report on the stuff, anyone know if this is good?

B2pottingmix_zps83a24748.jpg

I did explain about the roots like to breath & water crystals were a no no, i also asked the price for a trailer load & she said a standard trailer will hold 3/4 of a cubic meter (750 ltrs) and the price is $107 inc gist, which works out roughtly five bucks per 35ltr bag & is just slightly cheaper than the deal i was getting at Norco (6 x 35 ltr bags) for $33.00.

Mezo.

Interesting. I think it's well and truly at the stage where I should be thinking about buying potting mix by the trailer load!

ATM though, I've actually started a pile of spent potting mix and potting mix I bought but didn't use (because it was under-composted or whatever) and will hopefully be able to use that next season. Got a thing or two to learn (how to compost it, etc) but hopefully I will be able to save myself a bucket-load!

I'm lucky that my first main grow chillies have just been moved outside into the hardening off box which is sheltered from the wind. If I hadn't been running behind this season they'd be out there in the wind. The test jalapenos are out in it though, so I'll check tomorrow to see if they have been destroyed.

It's no biggy if they're toast cos I need the pots they're in asap :P

I might even have to go and buy a bunch of pots with the amount of seeds I'm sowing.

I use plastic shot glasses and plastic cups to start mine :)

I have a bunch more in the mini green house in cotton ball in the shot glasses....hoping they sprout soon :)

Talking of pots.....i nearly scored a load more big pots the other day, and it was from a source that i hadn't previously considered.

I'm a 'tradie' type, and i'm always in and around new estates (or "new communities" as they seem to like to call them here....lol) and was doing a few jobs in a new "community" when i noticed a shed load of gigantus sized pots behind a display home.
I wandered over to see if the supervisor was about, but couldn't find anyone (there were other trades hanging around so i couldn't just help myself)....I had to leave to get to another job so i didn't get around to speaking to anyone to see if they were ok to be taken.

But yeah.....in pretty much every new estate being built, there will be display homes....and the display homes are 'finished products' that require landscaping....and when there's landscaping there are always stacks of really decent pots going to landfill. So if you live near one, i reckon it's deffo worth keeping an eye out around the display homes...as i'm sure they'd rather see someone make use of the pots over sending to landfill.

Lots of those areas here in Perth.

Im thinking of designing and building my own mini acrylic greenhouse for inside come winter again....just a thought...Id get it water cut or profiled/milled grooves for joints etc..

Reactions: nee
im from sydney so i still call perth a small town :P

I like it here though, hoping to purchase a house soon, probably after most east coasters leave after mining slows down..

was in the city again today and its soo much quiter with all the job losses than it used to be when i worked there.

I liked Perth before the boom (back in the 90`s) getting around is a nightmare now, shame as Perth was such a nice small city.

I got my pots free from my local nursery, but yep like Nee said new sub develpments are a good place to find them.

pots7.jpg

pots8.jpg

Should keep me going for a while.

Mezo.

Reactions: nee
Hi guys. I've Been looking around at a few soil suppliers for potting mix and noticed some do what they call azalea & camellia mix.
They advertise it has a ph of 5.5 - 6.0 I was thinking of getting some mixing in some perlite and shoving a chilli or two in it.
Anyone done this or any thoughts?
Cheers. Kevvy

Dang Meez! :cool:

Hi guys. I've Been looking around at a few soil suppliers for potting mix and noticed some do what they call azalea & camellia mix.
They advertise it has a ph of 5.5 - 6.0 I was thinking of getting some mixing in some perlite and shoving a chilli or two in it.
Anyone done this or any thoughts?
Cheers. Kevvy

That might be a little too acidic for chillies. I guess you could always add some dolomite lime or something though.

I've started mucking around doing 50/50 mix of my normal potting mix (garden bed soil, coco peat, perlite, vermiculite, Organic Xtra fertiliser & rock dust) and Searles Cymbidium & Bromeliad Mix. The Searles mix is extremely lose, and would of course dry out very quickly for chillies, but of course be perfect for Orchids.

So far the plant roots I've seen look to have spread very nicely, so I'm probably going to continue with this mix going forward, even for seedlings.

Well the storm front buggered me, what about you guys in Brisbane?

New sunroof for the tent now.

septemberstorm1_zps1493b578.jpg

septemberstorm3_zps2ed8865c.jpg

The carport for the Zook is knackered as well.

septemberstorm4_zps8826cc7f.jpg

septemberstorm5_zps8396392b.jpg

Danny rang me from Vegas, he said "are you watching the BOM radar?" i said yep i can see it coming its frigging huge.

Mezo.

Ouch thats a bit of work there.

BTW i love the property, from what i can see it looks great.

Id love to have the opportunity to live more in the country, even though perth is a good downsize from sydney id live to live somewhere like tamworth...

some animals and a green house...

Ill do engineering design and CAD work from home :)

Pipe dream though cause the fiancee love shopping and what not :(

damn.. that sucks balls!! race tape the tent.. it'll be fine!!

ive put a few chillis out as we were meant to be getting better weather... its cold and they are going nowhere fast.. plus i have some kind of nocturnal cattepillar eating my fatallii leaves.. ive got a couple of hab plants and a piri piri all in a nice row.. but it only touches the fatalii.. guess its a favourite. ive moved it today so im hoping ti gets left alone or it'l have no leaves left! so thinking of giving hydro a go.. been reading a bit about it. would be nice to use my grow cupboard for somethign over the winter and have some fresh chillis to eat as well..

Back