• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Wonder Where That Pepper Joe Went?

I'm still wondering why the Tasmanian Habs. I got last year or year before grew Annuums not Chinense.
Cross?
Looked a lot like Black scorpions Tongue.

I'm glad to hear things are being improved. Positive change is always good! Best of luck Pepper Joe.

It's your business of course, but my only issue has been re-naming of varieties that already exist and portraying them as 'new.' The chile world already has WAY too much of this and it's bad for growers. I'm not singling you out because it happens often. Nevertheless, it's a practice that is not looked upon favorably, especially if the end grower finds it is the same as an existing one.

Take care and welcome back.

Chris
Good call Chris.
We started Pepper Joe's 22 years ago...and way back then I named some peppers...Like my Jamaican Habanero because I got the original Habs from a lady street vendor in Jamacia....5 pods for a buck. That was about 30 years ago. So we grew them and saved the largest, best looking Habs for seeds. Eventually the original Hab which was about the size of a quarter became golf ball sized and went from being kinda wrinkled to larger and smooth. I name it the 'Jamaican' for obvious reasons.
It's funny....in my original first catalog I only had 5 peppers...two others were the Pueblo and Jellybean pepper that I also named. To this day you can find them on several websites with those names.
Well fast forward all of these years...and you're right! Naming peppers only muddies the waters and causes confusion.
My 'Red Hot Chilli' is from the 'Ulipica' strain of Chiles also know as the Tepin or Chili Tepin...so we added AKA Tepin or Chili Tepin to the website to avoid confusion. I can't think of any others in recent years that we've given a different name to. If you see some send me an email and I'll look into it.
BTW....when we put NEW on a pepper...it doesn't always mean it is a new variety....just that I'm offering it new for that year.
Thanks for the input, Chris.
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:

I'm still wondering why the Tasmanian Habs. I got last year or year before grew Annuums not Chinense.
Cross?
Looked a lot like Black scorpions Tongue.
Hey Smokemaster, that baffles me.
As hard as we try we do occasionally get a cross pollination. Or VERY seldom get the labeling process mixed up.
To hopefully eliminate the Seed Crossing issue, I am currently sourcing a really cool farmer in Michigan to grow certain varieties of seeds for me. They have way over 100 acres and will spread them out far enough so that this shouldn't be an issue. In our smaller test gardens we're trying to limit the peppers to ones that aren't as conducive to crossing.
It's a work in progress...but honestly I get few letters about crosses.
:dance: :lol: :dance:

I have pics somewhere.
Only grew/kept 1 plant and it had 1 pod per node and pod shape reminded me of Black Scorpion tongue.
I don't remember the color change -if it was colored like the scorpions tongue-green,purple to red.

But it did end up red.

I think I have pics of it green and red off the plant.
Still have seeds for it left over that I haven't used yet.

I've baught several varieties of seeds from you over the years.

Don't think any were crossed,but never got healthy plants from the giant bhut jolokia for some reason and low germination rates from that one variety where other bhut strains from other sources germinated at the same time,soil etc. and did better in general.
Maybe it doesn't like growing conditions in S.Ca or in my pots...

I didn't mail you a complaint,I figure crosses or whatever are part of the game these days.

Still looking for the Original Chinese Licorice Pepper seed and Giant Purple pitted,chocolate,yellow,orange and white Manzotohabalokia seeds.... :lol:

Pepper Joe stopped by here posted for a week or less and gone like the wind. Where did he go? Just checking out what's hot and not in pepper kingdom? :)

Chris
Hey Chris, As you know I'm here and 'Back in Action'.
We're having a busy season, but I'm determined to stop by THP every day cause it's an awesome site.
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol:

ThePepperGrowingMan...I can understand YOUR concerns. But, is a forum not a place where people can go to voice THEIR concerns? That is what some of the people on this thread have done...voice their concerns.
If you want to see "bashing," look up the "Where did Sterling Kaiser" thread. THAT is bashing, and most deservably so. THAT guy screwed a BUNCH of people.
I don't think anyone on THIS thread was unjust. They had problems with seeds not growing true, they voiced their opinions, and Joe came in and handled it like a businessman.

I too was surprised at some of the under the table shots I read on this thread regarding Pepper Joe.
To me some of the disparaging remarks were attempts at a little "tongue in cheek" at the expense of a new member that also happens to own a seed company.
If such comments were intended as good natured humor...or to be helpful to the fellow member, it did not appears as such to me.
Whether anyone was "unjust" in their commentary, I'll leave that analysis to others with more bottles next to their names.
And while I do indeed have fewer bottles next to mine,one shouldn't assume I first began growing peppers when I became a THP member. At the same time,I wasn't buying my seeds from Pepper Joe 22 years ago either.

Based purely upon my experience with the products I have purchased from Pepper Joe, along with his exceptional customer service,I consider several of the comments as unfair,ill informed or both.

For those who happen upon this thread,I can simply say that I have grown his seeds in the past and currently have several sprouting as we speak.
I've yet to have any plants that were not what I ordered,or that were poor producers, and to date I've had nearly 100% germination rates.
So I guess that makes me another satisfied Pepper Joe customer.

Buying pepper seeds shouldn't be a crap shoot. Just like buying anything else in this world you deserve to get what you pay for. We're all human and mistakes can and will be made. If a seller is told of a mistake and they do their best to correct it that's a good business practice and the seller will probably be around for a while. If they aren't willing to correct a mistake then I'm sure they won't be around for long. Specially in today's age of instant communication.

Also you can't just say your seeds are guaranteed X or Y and not take the necessary steps to insure it. Seed plants need to be isolated by more than just a minimum distance. Birds, bugs and the wind can carry pollen for miles.

If I have a choice of buying seeds from A, an operation that separates plants by a mile or B, an operation that separates plants by a mile and uses other measures to isolate individual plants and/or pods I'm going with B every single time. I will also be happy to pay more for them.

ThePepperGrowingMan...I can understand YOUR concerns. But, is a forum not a place where people can go to voice THEIR concerns? That is what some of the people on this thread have done...voice their concerns.
If you want to see "bashing," look up the "Where did Sterling Kaiser" thread. THAT is bashing, and most deservably so. THAT guy screwed a BUNCH of people.
I don't think anyone on THIS thread was unjust. They had problems with seeds not growing true, they voiced their opinions, and Joe came in and handled it like a businessman.

Not to beat a dead horse but I just saw this and wanted to respond. There were only 2 legitimate concerns tied to an actual purchase from pepper joe posted in the entire thread. SK was just taking people's money and sending nothing in return, not even remotely close to what happened here. Agree forums allow a great platform for people to voice legitimate concerns or complaints but I didn't see that happening here.

Joe, if you happen to read this the only seeds I got from you this year that I've had any trouble with are the early jalapenos. Tried germinating 8 (4 and then two weeks later another 4) and had 0% germination. Any other reports of problems with this seed or did I just get unlucky? Throwing the rest of the ones I have in the dirt today.

This is Shawna Kearley with Kearley Seeds & Pepper Co. I want to get this straight for everyone on here so there is no question about what is going on. STERLING KAISER IS A WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP WHO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY COMPANY!!!! Long story short he is an alcoholic. I kicked him out 8 or so months ago because when I came home ALL of the electronics (tv, blue ray, surround sound, ps3, ipod and player, iphone, you name it) DVD collections....was GONE!!!! He also took all of my jewelry (including my mothers wedding ring she gave me, part of the rent money and other misc. things that were not his. He cleaned out both the savings account and checking account and I have not seen him since. I am putting together a list with recipts of all of my things to file a police report. Some of these things I did not even know were missing until months later when I went to look for them. He is into me for well over $6,000 that does not include the things he took from me.
To SalsaLady.....I gave Sterling the money to get a money order to send to you along with the address. I PERSONALLY packed the remainder of your sauces and filled out the forms for the post office. I was under the impression that all of this was taken care of as I had heard nothing else from you. What he did with that money and product now I can not say, I do not know.
I understand everyone is upset. You are all not as upset as I am. I think of everyone in the chilihead community as family and have made sure to let everyone know what has happened between Sterling and I. I have been working on moving on with my life and re-starting an honest business. Most of what went on with his company I did not know the extent of until ya'll brought it to my attention.
That being said, I'd like the negative comments about MY company to stop. If anyone has had an issue with MY company please let me know so that the issue can be resolved right away. I am in NO WAY affiliated with Sterling Kaiser.
Thank you all.
Shawna Kearley

Back