• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Woods for smoking

No antioxidants would survive the coals-and I have a theory that lab rats aren't really that healthy to begin with(seen a few "labs"...hence the theory)haha.
Allspice/pimento wood....anybody ever use this? Some jerk stands in Jamaica use this to add flavor to the jerk chicken and pork ...but details have escaped me.
I'll blame it on time....been 15 yrs since Jamaica visits stopped.I have yet to come across an equal stateside----but these stalls/shacks did use the pimento berry wood.Anyone?

www.pimentowood.com is where I buy my products, we do more than the occasional "Jerk" style recipes, smoked or grilled, both turn out excellent....and don't forget the "Red Stripe"...to wash it down...

Greg

Don't get me wrong they may be great, just not chipotles which should be cold smoked in traditional ways with traditional woods and smoke pits etc.
From what I understand chipotle is done with pecan wood. After Bowers I smoked some red Jals for Sethsquatch using cherry wood and that powder tastes good. He got some from a friend that were traditionally pecan smoked. Obviously they made great chipotle, even if they did burn his blender up while trying to grind them :rofl: I can laugh because I gave him the blender. :lol:

I've never used silver maple, I live in the middle of a sugar maple bush. I have however heard of people using it without any problems, and in some places they use silver maple for syrup so I imagine it is sweet and mild flavored as well

I always thought you may be a hobbit. You live in a tree right :lol:

And I will throw in the best pepper powder I have ever had was from Chris (cmpman1974). It was smoked with apple wood. Morado pepper powder!

apple is my favorite,but if yall can get any alder very nice. but yes the maple does add a sugar glaze to your meat . when you guys are saying cherry,im sure you are talking about the fruit tree? just curious?

Yep I have cherry wood from a cherry tree. Just got a bunch of apple chipped up. Now it is time to wait for it to finish curing.

i was just wondering about the cherry,i figured you were talking about the fruit. just because a regular cherry tree i think would be dangerous to use it has some kinda toxin in it if your dog chews on tomuch branches it will die,and it does give off a dark smoke

Cherry is a fine wood to use for smoking meats, it should be seasoned or dryed thoroughly before using.
I use a combo of Birch and Cherry in our fireplace.....has a nice "Snap, Crackle and Pop" to it...............and oh that smell.

Greg

i can get you some birch! i sold exotic lumber for 5 years,,still have contacts. im in contact with these dudes everyday.

No worries. I will continue walking through some local woods until I find some. I have 2 tree I am watching, but can't drop them so I have to wait on mother nature to "prune" them.

well any wood needs anyone would need would come from summers lumber in tn. just hit me up and i can get you a load on the cheap. :hell:

No worries. I will continue walking through some local woods until I find some. I have 2 tree I am watching, but can't drop them so I have to wait on mother nature to "prune" them.

have a kid climb really far out on a small limb that's close to the ground.....OOP! :lol:

Couple questions, do y'all take the bark off of apple, cherry and pear woods? We've been using a chop saw to slice really thin (1/8"-1/4") thick disks, then snap them into 3-4 pieces. The disks are 3-4" diameter and might have a 1/4" ring of bark.

And how does everyone actually make the chips? Do you have a chipper or....????

Oh, and my favorite tool for pruning.....cordless Dewalt Reciprocating Saw (aka Sawz-All). :cool:

Yep sawzall for pruning. lol. For chips I take the pieces to a guy who has a tree business. His guys run them through the big chipper in exchange for 2 or 3 bottles of sauce. I don't remove the bark but I am letting most of it cure right now. Ended up with 3 - 55 gallon trash bags full of apple chips. I use heavy duty vinyl airbags that are the same size as a 55gal bag. They were filled to the top when we got done. Now they are spread on a tarp in the basement with a fan blowing over them. Whole basement smells like apples. In the summer when I got the cherry and pear I was able to dry them outside. In all cases the cut wood dried for a month to 1.5 months before chipping. I have been giveing away apple chips since I don't need this many.

I was not happy with my applewood chips from the wood-chipper. There was just too many small branches with way too much bark. Next time I'll only use larger peices and skip the small branches. Its not as bad in the hot-smoker/log-burner but it seems a poor choice for cold/cool smoking where the bitterness is much more obvious

Yep I didn't take any branches smaller then my arm over to get chipped. The industrial chipper takes almost anything.

dont take the bark off,not here. im curing some pecan i dropped to trees, ive never smoked with it b4. but the trees had to come down, so ill try them. is it good flavor??

Back