• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Yabbies.... like a crawfish??

Oh dear Lord, I'd LOVE to boil some of those!!!!! Extra spicy!

That's a whole new level of crawfish, right there!

A friend of mine nearby in suburban Melbourne has them in his lawn. They dig little holes everywhere, don't know why, must be part of their life cycle or something. He does live in Templestowe, near the Yarra river, which might have something to do with it. The local nursery has them in a pond. I often go there to watch them cruising around. They're active little buggers.

An uncle spent time in Oz as a commercial diver/welder. On his off time he snorkeled/free-dove for the crawfish where they'd be under rocks or coral or something. The guys carried a little doohickey to measure them with, to make sure they were legal size. I thought for sure he was catching them in salt water though? And, yes, they did call them "crayfish" (I think). Surely not lobster.

He claimed those crawfish were the best he ever ate. We would mail him the little sacks of dried "Louisiana Crab Boil" by Zatarain's. The liquid boil would have been more expensive to ship. Now, they sell the powdered mix that is the quintessential Louisiana crab boil. Easy-peezy-fo-sheezy!

My uncle (a thoroughbred Cajun) claimed that yellow head-fat was every bit as delicious as the fat in our Louisiana crawfish. That is what we suck the heads for!

The weird food guy, Andrew Zimmern showed an Australian fisherman about the head fat of lobsters on a show where they cooked them on the beach. The Aussie was very reluctant to try it. But, afterwards he swore he'd never let any more of that good stuff go in the trash ever again.

Missed this post.

If your uncle was diving for them, they would of most likely been Crayfish/Lobster and been saltwater.

We have Saltwater Crays/Lobsters and then also Freshwater Crays and Yabbies

I don't have Yabbies, but I did finally get my bucket of fresh crawfish.

417791_10200749432795624_1427609466_n.jpg

5286_10200749434715672_2061663839_n.jpg

$14.95US and I was happy to pay it. I got them extra spicy, but I am not sure that they were. I was still hungry so I also got an order of suicide chicken wings and washed all that down with four Abita IPAs.

I like em bare naked.
I bring a big pot and propane burner when I "plan" on catching them.

Bring to a boil with salty water, dump them in live.

What I don't eat all up,( with just butter) I'll save of the big claws and tails.

Claws for garnish in other dishes, tails shelled and used like shrimp in whatever shrimp dish I want to make.

Note I don't get them down south where the big ones are, so it's a lot of work for little meat.

Not fond of popping them.

Back