• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow bhut.

MrArboc said:
Judging from the shape of the pods alone I'll have to say that I agree with you. My money is on an unstable cross, but I kind of hope that I'm wrong.

Ditto. Too long for the original.

xcsports said:
last week i was emailing dave. he told me he got mixed up with the names the true name is lemon bhut jolokia
I dont know how you can get mixed up with names.LOL. All i know is that its yellow.At least the ones he posted

POTAWIE said:
He told me the exact opposite. He said he stopped calling it lemon bhut since it was causing too much confusion. He also said he stopped calling it a cafefully made cross and determined that it wasn't a cross but now a mutant:( Ya right
Your right Potawie not a carefully cross polinated at all. I remember that back in november on his site. hilarious!!. Then mutation.What? Well its no mutation but if it turns yellow and hot like its parent, then its one hell of a cross by Nature

xcsports said:
he also told me that he also told me about orange bhut is not the same as lemon yellow bhut
Yeah the orange bhut, I grew it last year and was very disappointed. Doesnt look anything like a bhut. Not the same as the yellow at all.

xcsports said:
last week i was emailing dave. he told me he got mixed up with the names the true name is lemon bhut jolokia
Now I am all mixed up. He is calling it Yellow Bhut on his ebay site and you call it Yellow Bhut on your Local Harvest Store, but it is really Lemon Bhut. :crazy:Don't really care what it's called personally, I just want it to be yellow.;)

Well folks its been exactly two week since my last post of the two yellow bhut plants i grew from seeds purchased at asiasgarden.
Plant 1 is growing very healthy and the pods have thickened up. No colour change as of yet but some pods are turning dark green which usually means the change will be soon. again the pods have little resemblance to the photos taken by asiasgarden.Pods from plant #1
4563567262_21f60be530_o.jpg

4563567258_9965810230_o.jpg

And now for plant #2:)

What can is say about this one. Just awesome so far. In just over three weeks since the first pod appeared it has just grown insanly.
Ballzworth was over the other night for a couple beers and tasing some red bhuts and Madame Jeanette's. We counted 91 pods on the plant and its still going crazy!!!
These pods do resemble the asiasgarden pods but will they turn yellow?
Here are some photos of Plant # 2
4563553212_7832427b38_o.jpg

4563553218_a9d4f6fd27_o.jpg

same pod taken from two weeks ago
4563553204_fa9bf8c332_o.jpg

4563553206_39eaac532c_o.jpg

4563553208_c95166bded_o.jpg

4562926851_bca8d2a2f5_o.jpg

The pods grow over 3" long. At least the ones so far
4562926859_4779506e17_o.jpg

I will post another update in three weeks and hopefully some pods will change colour. Hopefully to yellow.
cheers !!!

Yann

madhatter said:
4563553206_39eaac532c_o.jpg

4563553208_c95166bded_o.jpg

4562926851_bca8d2a2f5_o.jpg

The pods grow over 3" long. At least the ones so far

I will post another update in three weeks and hopefully some pods will change colour. Hopefully to yellow.
cheers !!!

Yann

Nice, and you have tons of pods too. I'm impressed how your up in barrie and getting pods months before me. Actually a little jelous;) Having grown inside the seeds you save will be true too.

Nice looking plants and pods. They probably won't grow true if they are hybrids but it looks like a variety worth stabalizing.

chillilover said:
Nice, and you have tons of pods too. I'm impressed how your up in barrie and getting pods months before me. Actually a little jelous;) Having grown inside the seeds you save will be true too.
I always grow a few plants early cause i just cant wait. And we have such a short growing season in the great white north. Not sure if they will grow true. Will have to grow and find out and see what we get in the third generation.

POTAWIE said:
Nice looking plants and pods. They probably won't grow true if they are hybrids but it looks like a variety worth stabalizing.
True Derek it does seem to a variety worth stabalizing so far anyways. It is possible they turn red. i hope not.

FadeToBlack said:
Awsome pics madhatter! I hope they turn out to be yellow..
Thanks Fade,
looking forward to seeing how your seeds grow out too and everybody elses.
These plants are also being grown stress free as they are in front of a big south facing window. No wind, hail, no insects only my two year old son trying to pull off leaves.LOL. Will see what happens when it is outside.

Very nice. It's looking like they are turning a bit more like the Yellow Bhuts in the picture, or at least a lot more Bhut-like. Let's hope!

Thanks roadhouse. Should know in a few weeks. I'm also interested to see what this plant produces when exposed to the elements. Its warming up here now so my backyard will be swimming in plants.

POTAWIE said:

True..... I forgot that they are hybrids. I was just talking cross pollination wise........

I couldn't believe when I saw it. 91 pods in three weeks! I hoping for the yellow color for you buddy. That's going to be quite the looker when you get the ripening action.

it was awesome to try a chunk of red bhut as well. man that thing has got serious burn to it. lets hope the yellow keeps the heat with the classic yellow pepper citrus like taste. awesome start to the plant out season!

Looking good MH, I can only only hope my plants look half that good when they grow. Keep them pics coming. Hope all turns out well.

Back