• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Your top five peppers

chiltepin said:
Top Five From 2015:

1. Bahamian Goat
2. de Arbol/Pequin
3. Biker Billy Jalapeño
4. Caribbean Red Hot
5. (tied for 5th) Albanian Red Hot/Aleppo/Brazilian Starfish/Bishops Crown/Piment d' Espellette/

Mainly b/c these are what I bottled and ate the most peppers from the plant.

I am interested in some more detailed thoughts on the Albanian Red Hot.  I had purchased seeds this year but when it came down to it, I had already started too many types and I passed on it.  Just wanted to know how much I screwed up by not starting some of these...

Noah Yates said:
Tajin Jalapeno
Aji Pineapple
Mustard Habanero
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Carolina Reaper

and err... Holy Mole Passila  :P

What is this Tajin Jalapeno of which you speak?  Is this from Reimer?  What makes this jalapeno better than the others?  Just curious.  I am growing 5 types of jalapenos this year.  Maybe I can fit the Tajin in next year....

My 5 would be:
Bahamian Goat
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Aji Pineapple
Gourmet Jigsaw Fatalii (although not growing this year)
Chocolate Bhutlah (actually growing this year for the first of many years to come. Got one in a box from Wicked Mike last year.  That one pod lit up quite the number of my friends kids.  ~evil laugh~)

Wow! ......not easy....but I always like to have these growing

Chocolate Hab
Carmel Moruga
Peach Congo
Yellow Butch T
Chocolate Bhut

I could probably change my mind in about 10 minutes but I will go with the 5 listed... :confused: :confused:

bpiela said:

What is this Tajin Jalapeno of which you speak?  Is this from Reimer?  What makes this jalapeno better than the others?  Just curious.  I am growing 5 types of jalapenos this year.  Maybe I can fit the Tajin in next year....

Yes, I get it from reimers... Its an F1 hybrid "jalapeno-type"(barrel) pepper from Seminis.  
Last season I grew out:
  1. [SIZE=8pt]Billy Biker[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Full Pack[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Gigante[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Goliath[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=8pt]Grande[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=8pt]Jumbo[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=8pt]Mammoth[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=8pt]Pepper Joe's[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=8pt]Purple[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=8pt]Saved**[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=8pt]Tajin[/SIZE]
And Tajin was by far and away the best producer, the most sturdy plant, with the best tasting, crispy, thick-walled, corked, red-ripening jalapeno peppers I have ever grown.  The genetic is a monster.  The only drawback is that its a hybrid so its not true breeding, and technically its not a full blooded jalapeno.

7 pot brainstrain - Great for eating fresh
7 pot Jonah - My favorite for puree
Red Bhut - Great Superhot powder
Large Thick Red Cayenne - Great all around smoked powder
Bishops Crown - Amazing fresh sweet pepper with a little kick

hogleg said:
Rocoto
Goatsweed
Aji pineapple
Serrano
7pot burgundy
BOC

I'm not very good at math and I always break the rules  :D
I'm growing 2 types of rocoto's this year hoping that one of them make my top 5 list.

I'm surprised about the goats weed, I see a few THP'ers making the top 5 list. I have a real nice over wintered plant that's 5 feet throwing out lots of new growth. What is it that stands out about this peppers and how are you using it ? Thanks ! 

Noah Yates said:
Yes, I get it from reimers... Its an F1 hybrid "jalapeno-type"(barrel) pepper from Seminis.  
Last season I grew out:
  1. [SIZE=8pt]Billy Biker[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Full Pack[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Gigante[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Goliath[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=8pt]Grande[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=8pt]Jumbo[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=8pt]Mammoth[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=8pt]Pepper Joe's[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=8pt]Purple[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=8pt]Saved**[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=8pt]Tajin[/SIZE]
And Tajin was by far and away the best producer, the most sturdy plant, with the best tasting, crispy, thick-walled, corked, red-ripening jalapeno peppers I have ever grown.  The genetic is a monster.  The only drawback is that its a hybrid so its not true breeding, and technically its not a full blooded jalapeno.

Great info!  Much appreciated.  I think I might just do a quick Reimer's order although I have no idea where I would put it. 

az1000 said:
Rocoto
Bhut Jolokia any kind
Lemon Drop
Goats weed
Murupi Amarelo
I almost added Murupi Amarela because it has such a unique flavor, I grew it a few years ago and loved it but wasn't terribly impressed with its productivity.

jedisushi06 said:
1.bubblegum x hp50
2.yellow dystopia
3.scotch bonnets
4.yellow 7 pot
5.red bhut Assam

Nice selections! Yellow Dystopia? I haven't tried that one yet... the red version makes a wonderful powder, I bet the yellow is awesome!

Very hard to pick just 5. My top 5 (maybe):

Primo
Bad Brains
SB7J
MOA
Chocolate Brain Strain

It's hard to leave out Brown Moruga, Red Bhut Jolokia, Yellow 7 Pot, BBG7, Aji Amarillo, TS Moruga, and PN7J (and its moruga cross) .... and the list goes on!!!

bpiela said:

Great info!  Much appreciated.  I think I might just do a quick Reimer's order although I have no idea where I would put it. 
The seeds come with a very pretty metallic turquoise coating.  Probably either simply a marker, an antibiotic, or an innoculant or some combination.

Helvete said:
I almost added Murupi Amarela because it has such a unique flavor, I grew it a few years ago and loved it but wasn't terribly impressed with its productivity.
My Murupi was very productive. I had one in a small 3l pot and it was loaded with pods.

-Aji Pineapple-Mostly for fresh eating

-Red Trinidad Congo-sauces, stuffed, powder; I love this pepper

-Cracked Jalapeno-Best jala flavor, IMO, I pickle gallons of these every year

-Star of Turkey-Great flavor, some heat(not a lot), very good sauce

-Red Cayenne-Great sauce base; you can go in many directions with this as a base

I was close to putting Bulgarian Carrot on my list for fresh eating.  Just LOVE the flavor of that one, and Black Pearl is by far the prettiest plant I have ever seen.

SavinaRed said:
I'm growing 2 types of rocoto's this year hoping that one of them make my top 5 list.

I'm surprised about the goats weed, I see a few THP'ers making the top 5 list. I have a real nice over wintered plant that's 5 feet throwing out lots of new growth. What is it that stands out about this peppers and how are you using it ? Thanks ! 

Its my drying pepper for use in the off season.  My favorite way to use it is to toast a few in a dry pan with a garlic clove or two. Throw that in the blender with about half cup of boiling water. While that's rehydrating toast some tomatillo or tomato's and a chunk of onion in the pan. Throw those in the blender give it a whir add a lil' water if needed. Finish with salt, lime, and cilantro with a couple pulses on the blender.

Also good for giving a light smoke and powdering too.

I mostly use them dried not fresh.

:cheers:

Bob_B said:
Caribbean Red
Jalapeno
Anaheim
Hot Lemon
Datil
Datils might make my top 5 next year. I have 3 seedlings and I'm hoping one makes it this year with lots of peppers. I've heard great things about them and have yet to taste one.

Back