• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Your top five peppers

SavinaRed said:
im waiting for my Bonda ma Jacques to germinate. It will be my first time tasting and growing this pepper.

Mine hasn't germed yet either, but I have one that puts out red pods that has popped up.  Those seeds came from the original pod that was sent to me that looked correct.  Some plants that came from that threw red pods.  No idea what its crossed with, but it was tasty so I keep it going.

I just had some BMJ in some omelets yesterday.  Glad to see them getting more love on the list!!!!

jakester said:
The sauces I made from Albanian Red Hots as a base were delish! You just add other peppers for heat. It's really a good pepper.
Hmmm, haven't dried them, though. Very interesting...
I'm germinating a few Albanians and looking forward to growing them this year.

Bonda ma Jacques is getting lots of love.

I preferred my Madame Jeanette and Super Datil over the BMJs. Mine had a bit of bitterness to them. Wonder if it was bad genetics. I just had the one plant. It was super productive though!

SavinaRed said:
I'm growing 2 types of rocoto's this year hoping that one of them make my top 5 list.

I'm surprised about the goats weed, I see a few THP'ers making the top 5 list. I have a real nice over wintered plant that's 5 feet throwing out lots of new growth. What is it that stands out about this peppers and how are you using it ? Thanks ! 

I love the "green" pods (they black when immature) blitzed with mayo. Mmmm mmmm mmmm!  Dammin hell it's so good with anything fried.

Mature pods I dry and powder.  Got a very decent fire to them with a deep fruity intensity.  My go to powder for may things - I like combining it with Bhut Jolokia powder for curries.

1. Jalapenos   for ease of use and snacking in the garden
2. Chocolate Habanero   for opening my eyes/mouth/nose to new tastes in peppers.
3. Cayennes   for easy growing and very easy drying without a dehydrator.
4. Trinidad scorpion   for heat and the most beautiful plant I have.
5. Malawi peppadew/Piquant   for keeping everybody else happy at home

My Five Favorite Peppers

5) What ever pepper I am currently eating

4) What ever pepper I am currently growing

3) What ever pepper Nigel reviews

2) What ever pepper Mike sends me

1) The Hot Pepper

Datil - super productive, flavorful, and versatile
Aji Amarillo - probably my favorite pepper flavor wise, but it's not very productive for me
De Arbol - sort of my all-purpose pepper for a variety of cuisines
Pequin - nice smoky flavor, fun bushy plant too
Trinidad Perfume - this might be replaced by something else eventually, I'm new to trying no-heat varieties. Was a bit late to hop on the Aji Jobito bandwagon, might try that next year.

I do a superhot or two as novelties but I prefer things on the milder end. I'm trying Goat's weed this year instead of De Arbol, I see it on a few lists, looking forward to it.

Back