• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dorset Naga or Naga Morich

I've been reading a lot about these peppers recently, and I got interested and decided to try and grow some. I hear lots of people talking about them but can't seem to find anywhere to get the seeds? I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction or maybe have any they'd be willing to trade for something. Thanks in advance

J

peppers

jbjcooltext000001.gif

If you find them please let me know.I live in New Jersey but would love to try to grow them anyway.

I ordered from Nagaseeds on Ebay.

I got my order in 2 weeks. Purchased both the Naga Morich and the Dorsets.

yes Tony at Nagaseeds is also a member here at the hot pepper his seeds are great as i grow them. 80-90 percent sprout and grow. those are good numbers you may also want to try chileman.org

Thanks for all the help guys. I actually found someone on garden web that traded me some for 3 types of heirloom tomato he wanted I just ordered off the net for $1.50 a piece. I actually got an even better deal than that, cause he not only sent me 10 dorset seed, i got a bunch of red savina seed, 10 golden bullet hab seeds, and a packet of crushed dorset powder. Haha, its the real deal, i ate a flake the size of this . and it lit my mouth up properly :)

Hi

BJS2006 - I would not wait until February to plant those seeds, they are very slow even for a hab, treat them more like the pubescens ............Mine are going in this weekend.

All the best

Guy

Thanks for the info. Will move up the date then.

Guy Holman said:
Hi

BJS2006 - I would not wait until February to plant those seeds, they are very slow even for a hab, treat them more like the pubescens ............Mine are going in this weekend.

All the best

Guy

Just in case anyone was wondering, I got that dorset seed to sprout in only 6 days. I planted it last monday evening, and it began to break ground sunday night, and was all the way up and open this morning. Since I heard they need pretty warm soil temps I swapped out the CFL in the lamp for an incandescent. I kept the bulb much farther above the soil than I normally keep a CFL away from a plant, I kept checking the temp by hand, and kept the soil/pot nice just a little warm to the touch, but not hot. As soon as I saw the back of the seedling start to break, I put the CFL back in and moved it down about 1.5-2 inches above the seedling. This prevents stretching.

Bhut Jolokia

Seeds are also now available from The Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State U. (http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/welcome.html?t=chile).

They have "Bhut Jolokia" seeds. From what I've pieced togther, Naga Morich/Naga Jolokia/Bih Jolokia/Bhut Jolokia/Borbih jolokia, Nagahari, Nagajolokia, Naga Morich, Naga Moresh and Raja mirchi are all names for the same (or possibly closely related) pepper.

In any event, The Chili Pepper Institute measured the pepper they have at 1,001,304 SHU.:)

I just ordered some yesterday & am looking forward to growing them. I understand they are slow growers and should be planted early. Any suggestions on how early for growing in Zone 7?

If you want a real scam check out http://www.eurochili.eu/catalog/pro...id=59&osCsid=7bea338c5b29f9d25083cc4b3b3f2536

then go here http://eurochili.eu/catalog/ or just read this:
"This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

Check out the reviews too, they don't edit the bad responses so I think I'll add some more.

POTAWIE said:
If you want a real scam check out http://www.eurochili.eu/catalog/pro...id=59&osCsid=7bea338c5b29f9d25083cc4b3b3f2536

then go here http://eurochili.eu/catalog/ or just read this:
"This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

Check out the reviews too, they don't edit the bad responses so I think I'll add some more.

Nice remarks! What an odd site, indeed. I wonder what possessed them to make that site a chile-based pseudo-site?

Site

My question is does the site administrator have the rights to use the pictures shown? I recognize some. Usually credit is given where due. Hmmmm.

Chris

Naga "Sauce"?

When do you think it will be when some companies come out with sauces containing Naga Morich or Dorset Naga chili's? The peppers have been discovered now for almost a year.

Cheers,

HotSauceGoonie said:
When do you think it will be when some companies come out with sauces containing Naga Morich or Dorset Naga chili's? The peppers have been discovered now for almost a year.

VERY soon, trust me :cool:

From the label of the Bhut Jolokia seed from The Chile Pepper Institute.

"UNAUTHORIZED PROPAGATION PROHIBITED
All rights to produce or sell seeds derived from this seed resides solely with the Chile Pepper Institute. By opening this envelope, you acknowledge and agree to this condition. If you do not wish to be bound byt hese terms, all seed must be destroyed or return to the Chile Pepper Institute."

I guess that means no trading seed legally from seed saved from the Chile Pepper Institutes nagas. Heck, sounds like it's illegal to even save seed for yourself with all "production" prohibited.

Hi

I do not see how they can possibly legally claim any restrictions on this seed, it is not theirs to try to protect. Having myself supplied seeds of Nagas and other vars to them for free , through dave DeWitt, I am disgusted that they would attempt such a thing.

In addition, no word of apology from the almighty DeWitt for his previous accusations over the earlier test results, which are now vindicated. I feel this sucks and that a public apology for the his treatment of the Indian scientists, just as public as his accusations themselves should be forthcoming.

There is no way this will stop people trading seeds for the fun....

Hugely disappointed

Guy

Hi again

HotSauceGoonie said:

Hang on a moment...discovered almost a year. Thats just so funny!!

Having eaten Naga currys before I left the UK in 1999 and buying them whilst living in Southall West London and Bradford well over ten years ago, I beg to differ!

The fact is that the pods have been under peoples noses for years and they have chosen to ignore the fact, largely due to the coverage by DeWitt. These peppers have also existed for many many years back in Bangladesh and NE India, of course.

All the best

Guy

Back