• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Thanks dash 2 & Lucifer.I have no trouble, but the first tutorial post, thought this to boot in a few hours, was so mu doubt. Meet calmer now..

Another thing is that I have not respected the proportion of salt. 
Add 5% seemed to me an exaggeration ... and even 2% as I put it is. The ocean has a salinity of 3.5%. Half of it is still too salty to eat. 
Not imagine using 10% natural yeast. Some had to dismiss as too salty.

I always use 2 percent, no more, otherwise its wsy too salty for me. Also, once you get this ferment going, you can use a few tablespoons of it in your next ferment, so you don't even have to add any additional salt to it. That's what I do, I use my previously made ferment as a starter without any additional salt. When I'm ready to make sauce from that ferment I add salt as needed.

Interesting, using bacteria bred lactobasillus previous salsa... is first heard this way has not commented here before. It is as effective as using new serum?

If not understood wrong ... You make new mashed with salt? or puts only 2%, but not more than that ...

Ok, once my fermentation is complete I always set aside five or six tablespoons in the fridge. Whenever I want to do another ferment i mix those five or six tablespoons that I have from my previous ferment in with the new mash. Since the bacteria is already present in my previous ferment I don't use any salt. It only takes a fraction of the time for the new mash to start fermenting. Basically, I use my previous mash as a starter instead if whey or anything, and don't add any more salt.

Then imagine mashed start to hold enough chilled. Knowing whether to freeze for use next year? 

This information is very interesting to me. Now starting first harvests and last until June here. Until February 2015 there will be again.

Once you have fermented your mash you can keep it in the refrigerator almost indefinitely without spoiling. Then when you want to start a new ferment, just use the mash from the fridge as a stater

What is the reason that no salt is necessary for evil agents protection when using mash starting? 

But be salt 2% required when use lactobacillus starter...

Salt is used as an inhibitor and to draw moisture out of the peppers. Without a starter it usually takes my mash approximately 5 days to begin to ferment. With the starter mash fermentation usually starts within 2 days.
Also, you can fetment without any salt at all. Like I said before, it pulls moisture out of the peppers and is an inhibitor of the bad organisms which will want to get into your mash.

so here is a batch that has been fermenting for a little over 90 days using the Whey method.   Brazilian Wilds with Onion and Garlic.  Does this look alright to process into hot sauce?  I ended up using some store bought sea salt that had a little but of silicone dioxide in it.  Is that what has caused the slight discoloring?

IMAG1805_zps74c07b50.jpg

They look good Travis, process that bad boy. if you don't like the color it is you might try adding a carrot or 2 and some sun dried tomatoes. They'll also add another lever of flavor and a touch of sweetness to the sauce.

I use 2 time periods, 45 days and 90 days. 45 days for a mash that is low in sugars and 90 days for one that's high in sugars. I consider a mash high in sugars when it has fruits or other ingredients like sweet potatoes in it. The added time is just to give the lacto more time to process all the sugars.

About our sources of Lacto Bacteria.

As I move towards taking the plunge into making Sauce as a professional I find that there are things that make life easier and there are things that make it more difficult. Sourcing the Lacto can be one of those that can go either way. Using whey, my current favorite starter actually makes it more difficult. With Whey not only are we adding the Lacto but were adding dairy with it and when you add dairy to a hot sauce, professionally, your going to another level in the training and possibly certifications you need. So in an attempt to make life easier I'm trying probiotic capsules. The one's I'm using are from Publix and have 30 billion live cultures from 10 Probiotic strains. Here's the breakdown:

The Product:

5E586CC1-2D87-4894-A9B3-7FAAD007F510_zps7pxzvzsn.jpg

The Details:

DB8E5D01-9B3A-40FB-A01D-B878FEBC5A52_zpskoif10v4.jpg

I've used this on 3 ferments now and so we'll see how well it's done in 45 days when the first one is done.

RM - I'm very interested in the results of your capsule ferments, and I agree the switch to capsules will save you future headaches with the health department.  How soon are they going to be ready?  Do they look the same or similar to your previous whey started ferments? Have you noticed them going faster or slower thus far?

@ Cypress - here's a link for purchase of the capsules.  No idea what shipping will add to the cost, but around .75 cents per ferment isn't bad at all if you're going the low sodium route. 

Back