• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Glad those peach bhut seeds hookin' for you, hon! But after MoA's . . . I swear it's best tasting pepper ever eaten. Now, if you've not tried Bonda Ma Jacques, I've come to think/feel that it's a 3rd to JA Hab. Want some?

YUP!!! Congrats on them new babies.  Nice adding the pics from BP.  He has done well with those great looking peppers.  I hope this grow of yours is an all year one so my winter months will have SOFLO and Aussie pics to look at.  Oh cant forget Peri...

Devv said:
Ramon, I forgot to congratulate you on your new arrivals.

Nice job there bpwilly!
Muchas gracias Scott! Hab a great week brethren ^_^

Stefan_W said:
I'm loving the baby pics, Ramon! I always get a huge kick out of the starts in egg shells.
Thanks Stefan, if they can make it in eggs they’ll make it anywhere ^_^ ... Hab a great week mon!

annie57 said:
Glad those peach bhut seeds hookin' for you, hon! But after MoA's . . . I swear it's best tasting pepper ever eaten. Now, if you've not tried Bonda Ma Jacques, I've come to think/feel that it's a 3rd to JA Hab. Want some?
¡Muchas gracias again Annie! I’m good for now, I still have another 20 eggs to fill and I ran out of time tooling around with my white sauce … Have a great week muchacha ^_^

Sanarda said:
YUP!!! Congrats on them new babies.  Nice adding the pics from BP.  He has done well with those great looking peppers.  I hope this grow of yours is an all year one so my winter months will have SOFLO and Aussie pics to look at.  Oh cant forget Peri...

Thanks Pia, as soon as I get some choco scorps & mas pods I’ll be sending a care package which beats pictures any day \o/ ... Wishing you & yours an awesome week ^_^

White Bhut Jolokia Jerk Sauce made today … I’ll post up the recipe tomorrow after work and how it looks on grilled chicken as I’m falling asleep quickly …

2h4avxv.jpg

aab37q.jpg

2lvb4wk.jpg

2zybyj5.jpg

dzxy4m.jpg

sct99x.jpg

qoc1mx.jpg

Ramon,

You really have me going with these pictures of the white Bhut Jerk sauce.  If I close my eyes, I think I can smell it when it hits a hot grill.   Did you use allspice in your recipe?  I love the flavor that adds, and it is one of those smells that really brings back memories.

I took your recipe today and used up a good portion (20) of the Yellow Scotch Bonnets that I got from Pepperlover when she ran her sale last month.  Might need to stock up again!

Used your directions for uploading pictures, so here is the result for todays sauce making (13 bottles full).  BPwillys version of WalkGood Tres Alamas Caribbean MoA Sauce.

Thanks so much for the help and the recipes. :dance:

Now to work on some sort of label as this sauce deserves to be dressed up!!

bpwilly said:
Ramon,

You really have me going with these pictures of the white Bhut Jerk sauce.  If I close my eyes, I think I can smell it when it hits a hot grill.   Did you use allspice in your recipe?  I love the flavor that adds, and it is one of those smells that really brings back memories.
Yes I used allspice hand ground FTW, hehehe. It taste great on grilled chicken, I’ll include some food pictures when I post the recipe later. That said, it did not turn out as picante (heat level) as I like, it’s not perfectly white which would be cool IMHO (light tone of mint green in the white) and it’s better grilled than raw but still eddible as dip for the chicken slices ...

bpwilly said:
I took your recipe today and used up a good portion (20) of the Yellow Scotch Bonnets that I got from Pepperlover when she ran her sale last month.  Might need to stock up again!

Used your directions for uploading pictures, so here is the result for todays sauce making (13 bottles full).  BPwillys version of WalkGood Tres Alamas Caribbean MoA Sauce.

Thanks so much for the help and the recipes. :dance:

Now to work on some sort of label as this sauce deserves to be dressed up!!
Your sauce looks great, how do you like it? Did you follow verbatim or did you change/augment with any special tricks you might have up your sleeve? I’m always open to new ideas like Rick added sugar and coconut milk (mine definitely did not need sugar) but if the Chocho isn’t ripe enough I could see adding sugar. Next time I remake I’m definitely going to try out some of my home made fresh coconut milk with it too, hats off Rick \o_

Glad you found my tips useful, that’s why we’re here to help each other and I’m sure you would have found a way without mi tip mon … Awesome job Bill \o/

Off to work I go, if someone bumps quick I’ll post the recipe as I like the post without replies in it … Have a great day brethren ^_^

BTW I like that checkerboard cutting board, looks like my chess set :D

White Bhut Jerk Paste
  • 20 to 30 White Bhut Jolokia, chopped fine
  • 1 large White Onion, chopped fine
  • 3 - 4 scallions (white & green parts), chopped fine
  • 8 White Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme ground
  • 1 piece of fresh Ginger one inch, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon White Bhut Jolokia powder
  • 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
  • 1 tablespoon White Peppercorns ground
  • 1 - 2 tablespoon Sugar (or to taste)
  • 1 shot or less of Añejo Rum to taste
  • 10 fresh Allspice berries crushed with mortar and pestle
  • 1 Cinnamon stick, broken up (can substitute for powder)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1/2 Lime and a little grated rind
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cloves ground
Directions:
Ground ingredients in pistol & mortar that need be and set aside
Peal everything and chop down to blender size
Sautee onions until almost translucent and garlic, cook a few minutes until translucent. Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook until everything is soft enough to blend
Transfer everything to the blender and puree until smooth
Add in the dry ingredients that you had set aside and continue pureeing
Transfer back to the pan and cook to reduce any liquids, at this point you can let cool to can or blend again
I always believe giving a sauce a few days allowing time for the flavors to combine but that’s your call
Use as you would use any Jerk paste in barbecuing poultry, fish or meats …

I'll explaing this later today or tonight when I have time, I did deviate a little off my own idea along the way and over all I like how it came out but not enough picante for me ...

Marinated the chicken for a few hours
aw0vq.jpg

348otgp.jpg

169l3ih.jpg

2quqhs4.jpg

*A special thanks to Devan (FreeportBum for da bump)*

stickman said:
Good looking jerk Ramon! Is that a roasted plantain next to the chicken and yellow rice?

Rick thanks for the White Jerk kudos, yes that’s a roasted/baked plantain. Also had French cut green beans but I ran to get the picture out of the way so I could eat and forgot to serve them, lol.

PeriPeri said:
Page 100? Wow... dat be seeri-us me broda! Any more food pics and I'm trading my computer in for a life raft... that drool is getting way too much!

Dam I didn’t even notice the 100, note to WG slow dis ting down, I will have to stop posting in mi glog, take less pictures, etc. lol. Thanks Lournes wish we could break bread pod together someday ^_^

Devv said:
As always looking good!

So for the chicken, it was marinaded in the Jerk paste?

Yes I marinated it for a few hours and put a little mas on during the cooking faze … this stuff is really tasty cooked. Scott as always thanks for all your kind words ^_^

Durham Bull said:
Yum... you're making me hungry!

I just got home from work and the pics are getting me hungry too, lol. Thanks for the “Yum.”

Dot Com said:
excellent recipe. I see you marinated the chicken in the white bhut jerk sauce but did you baste them w/ the sauce w/ a brush or spoon as well while they were cooking? Just wondering because you said it didn't end up being picante enough for you.

I only added a spoon full or two during cooking but that’s not why it’s not that hot, it’s the peppers. They taste great but I wouldn’t call them super hot peppers, sure they have some picante but I’d say they’re a few steps below the Scotch Bonnet or JA Habs and way more forgiving than any super. That said the White Bhut is a delicious pepper. Thank you for da kudos mon!

Al-from-Chile said:
wow! ... that dead chicken sure looks yummy :D

way to go, 'mon !!!!

Al

Thanks Al ^_^

PIC 1 said:
Very interesting marinade, that must of enhanced the boneless chicken breast quite a bit.
Wonder what it would do to a bone-in skin on chicken leg/thigh...
That plaintain looks delish also !

I’m planning on doing some bone chicken and pork with it over the weekend to try it out, it sure is tasty. Thanks for plantain & marinade kudos Greg ^_^

annie57 said:
That what I'm talkin' 'bout! Dayum, Ramon . . . might not be hot enough for ya, but surely must be jammin' good! I so see the white bhut and anise rum. :clap:

Thanks Annie, you are a sweetheart muchacha

Stefan_W said:
  • 20 to 30 White Bhut Jolokia, chopped fine

Holy crap, considering the other proportions in your recipe this must blazing run-for-da-fire-extinguisher hot!

Stefan it’s not as picante as one would think, I only had around 18 or 19 pods (I’m not going to count the picture, lol) and they weren’t that big, next time I have 30 I’ll use them all. This pepper has one of the most unique flavors I’ve every tasted on a pepper and I highly recommend growing them. Thanks for stopping in and commenting ^_^

Al-from-Chile said:
only for the non-Ramónish-run-of-the-mill-adult ...

:D

he's out of our league  ;)

Na, no way I would do what Matt and some others do here. Yea I love da heat but I don’t eat supers whole. Plus as previously stated this isn’t a super hot pod, it’s just right in the picante arena ^_^

Back