• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

MGOLD86 said:
WOWZERS!  Beautiful lookin Jerk chicken...ya got me thinkin about my next grocery run!
Thanks Matt and don’t forget to take pictures of what you cook, your foodie looks awesome brethren ^_^

romy6 said:
Man Brethren your families tastes buds must be exploding. No need to ever go out to eat at the Ray castle of spice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The young one doesn’t do peppers yet but soon come mon, lol. Mama has had to lay off the peppers since the operation but the doc cleared her for flight yesterday so she can start on some of the milder ones this week, hehehe. Things look spicy at tu casa as well and I’m not sure that I grow anything as hot picante as you currently produce, great job brethren ^_^

FreeportBum said:
Congrats on 100 Pages Ramon  :dance:
Thanks Devan, I didn’t have any intension to have it so many pages, makes it harder to look for stuff.

Devv said:
Yeah baby! Sweet 100!
Thanks Scott, crazy isn’t it … hopefully someone will benefit from all our glogs ~_^

Thanks for posting and sharing ideas everyone … hope you all have a great week ^_^

Ramon,

Thanks for sharing the White Bhut Jerk recipe.  I should have enough pods in the next week to give it a try as well. 

As for modifing your 3 alarm Caribbean MoA sauce, I stuck pretty close to your recipe so I would know how I liked it.  I only used about 20 pods in it and it could use more, as the cooking does seem to tone the heat down a bit.  But then I do have to share with my wife, who tries her best but does not like it too hot.  This way, I can always just add more when needed.

As for that cutting board, I made up about a 10 of those a few years back and gave them away for xmas presents.  I love it as I can cut and chop all I want, and it does not show any damage at all, since it is all endgrain - Purple heart and hard maple.  Love your recipes, thanks so much for sharing the heat!

Congrats on hitting 100 pages Ramon, I knew you'd do it! Your White Bhut Jerk marinade got me wishing for my own, but no white Bhuts... so I made it more traditionally with the fresh thyme, green onions, garlic, spices and three 7-pot yellow pods.

Congrats on 100 pages.

For a while there in early August, I thought you would hit 100 before Rick did, but alas, he pulled out in front pretty stiffly within the last few weeks.

WalkGood said:
Thanks Scott, crazy isn’t it … hopefully someone will benefit from all our glogs ~_^
I know I've learned a ton here @THP! Some great techniques, recipes, and have had fun sharing as well as we all do things differently.

Keep up the great work Mon!

GA Growhead said:
Happy 100 pages! I know i have spent plenty of time in this glog!

Thanks, I never intended it to grow like a weed :D

bpwilly said:
Ramon,

Thanks for sharing the White Bhut Jerk recipe.  I should have enough pods in the next week to give it a try as well.

As for modifing your 3 alarm Caribbean MoA sauce, I stuck pretty close to your recipe so I would know how I liked it.  I only used about 20 pods in it and it could use more, as the cooking does seem to tone the heat down a bit.  But then I do have to share with my wife, who tries her best but does not like it too hot.  This way, I can always just add more when needed.

As for that cutting board, I made up about a 10 of those a few years back and gave them away for xmas presents.  I love it as I can cut and chop all I want, and it does not show any damage at all, since it is all endgrain - Purple heart and hard maple.  Love your recipes, thanks so much for sharing the heat!

No problem, I just hope you enjoy how the recipes taste. What I did to increase my wife’s tolerance is 1 - included her in my dip & sauce making. 2 - started out very weak (one maybe two pods max) so the finished product wasn’t too picante, even if it means less pods. 3 - overtime I would increase the number of pods making it more picante, it takes a long time and lots of patience’s, like a year or more. But now she’ll be the one suggesting let’s add more pods, lol.

Dot Com said:
were there any leftovers? I prolly would have eaten all of it in one sitting :)

lol, ate da whole thing, thanks for stopping in ^_^

stickman said:
Congrats on hitting 100 pages Ramon, I knew you'd do it! Your White Bhut Jerk marinade got me wishing for my own, but no white Bhuts... so I made it more traditionally with the fresh thyme, green onions, garlic, spices and three 7-pot yellow pods.

Your jerk sauce looks great and so did the foodie posts, awesome job mon!

Jeff H said:
Congrats on 100 pages.

For a while there in early August, I thought you would hit 100 before Rick did, but alas, he pulled out in front pretty stiffly within the last few weeks.

Honestly wish it could be shorter, not sure I’ll put this much in next year but it’s been fun to share and read back tips and tricks from other members. Tanks for your participation ^_^

Devv said:
I know I've learned a ton here @THP! Some great techniques, recipes, and have had fun sharing as well as we all do things differently.

Keep up the great work Mon!

I came here to learn as well and have tried to share like you, thanks for all your help and others too ^_^

saugapepper said:
Congrats on 100 pages Ramon! You are one heck of a grower and that white Bhut sauce looks fantastic!

I appreciate the kind words but I’m a bit of a hack grower and got lucky with all the beneficials that have shown up at mi casa. Thank you for the kind words ^_^

When I checked da mail after work today I received a box of pepper love from Super Pod Mon
AKA Shane (stc3248) thanks mon! The box was so full it exploded open ...

2qj9ibr.jpg

2ni1pvb.jpg

2cz9bfb.jpg

15gcd9u.jpg

x5ypz5.jpg

2zromyb.jpg

orjmfo.jpg

Thanks so much for WB jerk paste recete and Tres Alarmas, Ramon. Made a sauce based on combo of two, Island Sauce with your JA Habs. Well, with pods grown from your seed. Best tasting hab ever had! Thank you so much for your generosity and not playing great incredible recipes close to vest!

Wow Ramon, nice box o' chile love from Shane! That aughtta keep you occupied for a day or two... ;)  Thanks again for sharing your Tres Alarmas sauce recipe... it seemed like the perfect vehicle for the Orange Habs I grew this year. Cheers!

Tres Alarmas

annie57 said:
Thanks so much for WB jerk paste recete and Tres Alarmas, Ramon. Made a sauce based on combo of two, Island Sauce with your JA Habs. Well, with pods grown from your seed. Best tasting hab ever had! Thank you so much for your generosity and not playing great incredible recipes close to vest!

Great looking sauce you made Annie ^_^ and I agree with you the on the taste of JA Habs, I really like them compared to any other Hab I’ve ever had. Thanks for kudos, you are too kind :)

Have an Awesome weekend muchacha ... ¡gracias for da pods!

stickman said:
Wow Ramon, nice box o' chile love from Shane! That aughtta keep you occupied for a day or two... ;)  Thanks again for sharing your Tres Alarmas sauce recipe... it seemed like the perfect vehicle for the Orange Habs I grew this year. Cheers!

Shane is too kind, just like you … you guys share da love and that’s awesome! I’m happy you liked my Bonnet Sauce with your Habs … I can’t wait to see your MoA grow next season, wish dis one would never end ^_^

Hab a great weekend!

illWill said:
Wow,  that bonnet sauce looks phenomenal!   How is it heatwise,  I'm guessing pretty tame?

I think it has the right amount of heat but it’s not that hot where you can’t enjoy the taste of everything in it, thus the “Tres” or three in English indicating that it’s around the mid point of heat. Thanks for da kudos and I wish you an awesome weekend mon!

Devv said:
Congrats on the pepper love from Shane!

Can't wait for the reviews!

Yea dat Shane is way too kind and I’m serious the box was bustin at the seams overflowing with pods in da mail box … I can just see the mailmon’s face, heck he probably clipped a few and I wouldn’t even know, hahahaha!

I’m not sure I could do justice to any pod reviews but I’ll probably take a stab at one or two of the large ones. I have a huge report to write up this weekend and it’s been on the back burner for too long now, I hope I have time for all planned :/

I hope you and LB have a sensational weekend brethren!

Stefan_W said:
Nice box of pods from Shane! The orange one on the top left of the photo is delicious, assuming it is what I think it is.

Yea I was blown away when I opened da mail box, what a great brethren he is … hat’s off to him for sure \o_

Annie sent me some hot Latin love :o
2vmby15.jpg

2dt51l2.jpg

2nun7r6.jpg

1twv8j.jpg

mb24xw.jpg

ak7m9x.jpg

Back