• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Wow basically a Peruvian fettuccine Alfredo and lomo saltado... dig!

Rocoto Relleno.

This is a recipe from Arequipa, that is by far one of my favorite meals. I also make the Cusco style rocoto relleno, but I will save that one for another day.

Take your rocoto, and de seed and de vein them. Don't be a hero, and eat them with the veins, you will regret it, promise me. In Arequipa, there is a 3 step process to take the spice out of a rocoto. I only follow the first step, which is to de vein the fiery beasts. This dish will burn even the most seasoned of chile veterans.

Dice an onion and some garlic, fry it with some olive oil, then add the ground beef. Add 2 table spoons of aji panca. Once browned throw in 1 diced tomato, 4 minced hard boiled eggs, smashed peanuts, and some raisins. Add some rough chopped parsley.

Stuff your rocoto with this mixture. Lay in a dish with some 3/4 boiled potatoes, cut the potatoes into thirds. Cover everything with cheese. Place the tops back on the stuffed rocoto. Whip up 4 eggs, and a cam of evaporated milk. Pour this into the dish, then bake at 350 degrees til golden/brownish bubbles start to form. Serve with a salsa criolla.

Attachments

• 20160220_210126.jpg
    20160220_210126.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160221_003638.jpg
    20160221_003638.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160221_005605.jpg
    20160221_005605.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 60
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Rocoto Relleno.

This is a recipe from Arequipa, that is by far one of my favorite meals. I also make the Cusco style rocoto relleno, but I will save that one for another day.

Take your rocoto, and de seed and de vein them. Don't be a hero, and eat them with the veins, you will regret it, promise me. In Arequipa, there is a 3 step process to take the spice out of a rocoto. I only follow the first step, which is to de vein the fiery beasts. This dish will burn even the most seasoned of chile veterans.

Dice an onion and some garlic, fry it with some olive oil, then add the ground beef. Add 2 table spoons of aji panca. Once browned throw in 1 diced tomato, 4 minced hard boiled eggs, smashed peanuts, and some raisins. Add some rough chopped parsley.

Stuff your rocoto with this mixture. Lay in a dish with some 3/4 boiled potatoes, cut the potatoes into thirds. Cover everything with cheese. Place the tops back on the stuffed rocoto. Whip up 4 eggs, and a cam of evaporated milk. Pour this into the dish, then bake at 350 degrees til golden/brownish bubbles start to form. Serve with a salsa criolla.
OMG.  This looks soo good.  I will do this this summer when I have peppers!!!

Tinnie said:
TGCM your rocoto rellenos look absolutely divine.... if i could only have one pepper it would be the giant rocotos from Arequipa..... could you explain how the Cusco version is different... i am very interested....
In Cusco, the rocoto is cooked individually, and usually lightly battered, and stuffed with peas, carrots, and meat. Peanut crumbles are still added. They they cut out the veins, then boil the rocoto with water, a little vinegar, a little sugar, and a little bit of milk. This process is done 3-5 times to take out the rocoto spice.

I will post a proper recipe for this next time I make rocoto relleno.

If you are a true chile head, you can make a puree of the veins of all the rocoto you stuff, to make an ají. Be careful though, becuase that stuff is fire! I've caught Viracocha's revenge from that stuff way too many times!

Tardis said:
OMG.  This looks soo good.  I will do this this summer when I have peppers!!!
You definitely should make them sometime! I also make a cheese/evaporated milk/egg only version as an appetizer that comes out really well. Her is a couple pics of one I made last year. Basic, but really tasty.

Attachments

• 20151005_201658.jpg
    20151005_201658.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20151007_200328.jpg
    20151007_200328.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 67
cypresshill1973 said:
TGCM well done! I agend your recipes to the future. You are a master in peruvian cussine.

You are from Peru or only loves that food?
Thanks! No, I'm not from Peru, but I am lucky enough to have a lot of Peruvian friends, neighbors, employees, bosses, etc.

I'm always asking for recipes from them, plus seeds for local ajis. I also attend a local annual Peruvian culinary festival, where they have seminars taught by famous Peruvian chefs.

http://tasteofperudc.com

Back