• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Nice info, thanks for sharing! Now I know the full back story of lomo saltado. I was just looking over the lunch menu of this restaurant we are going to, and Lomo Saltado is listed under the chinese connection section. We usually go while they serve dim sum. Chinese-Peruvian dim sum is super tasty. The different spicy dipping sauces and ingredients they use is like food heaven. I always make sure to get one of their live scallops with rocoto lime relish as well, plus some ceviche of course.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-19-12-54-27.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-19-12-54-27.png
    564.9 KB · Views: 58
Nice Lomo Saltado. One of my favourite dishes.

I have never made it but i have had a hankering for some tallarines saltado recently. I want to have a try at making that soon.

Chifa is great and certainly different to regular Chinese takeouts..... even Jackie Chan approves....

chifa-jackie-chan.jpg

Best part of Chino Latino joints is it's not really fusion, it's the mix of main dishes and side dishes that makes it. So you can get a Latin classic with pork fried rice and an egg roll, or a Chinese dish with tostones...

This is a Cuban CL place from Yelp, ropa vieja with tostones and pork fried rice!!!

chino_latino.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice info, thanks for sharing! Now I know the full back story of lomo saltado. I was just looking over the lunch menu of this restaurant we are going to, and Lomo Saltado is listed under the chinese connection section. We usually go while they serve dim sum. Chinese-Peruvian dim sum is super tasty. The different spicy dipping sauces and ingredients they use is like food heaven. I always make sure to get one of their live scallops with rocoto lime relish as well, plus some ceviche of course.
Where is this restaurant?  That chicken dish gets its chicken from Lebanon PA.  That is about 35 mins from me.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Lomo Saltado.

Take two 1lb. flanks, cut them into pieces. Dice up some garlic. Put the dice flank, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of aji panca in a bowl then mix well. Sautee until almost cooked, then ad 3 diced red onions, and 3 matchstick sliced aji amarillo. Once cooked, add a nice drizzle of soy sauce, a small amount of vinegar, and some diced culantro. Serve the lomo saltado on a bed of french fries, with a side of rice.

A good lomo saltado should have a good green sauce to accompany it. Take 3 limes and juice them into a blender. Add some culantro, 3 aji lemon drop peppers, a touch of vinegar, and a touch of EVOO. Liquify, amd serve immediately.
yum

The Chinese/Japanese influence is a lot larger than I ever thought. Always knew a little about it from the stir frys but reading the top left caption and that other article, I'm seeing it's steeped in the tradition.

By chance do you like any Trini food?

Yes, I like Trini food. I don't know many of their dishes, but the ones I've had have been good. I have a good friend who's family is from Trinidad. His grandmother gave me a jar of homemade hot sauce, and that stuff was fire!

An interesting triangle of Caribbean, Indian, Chinese. Some great use of hot peppers and curries.

The Hot Pepper said:
An interesting triangle of Caribbean, Indian, Chinese. Some great use of hot peppers and curries.
I to try out some Trini recipes. I already grow culantro, and I know they use it in a lot of their dishes. They call it shado beni. Every Trini meal I've had has been very spicy, even by my standards.

Check out chicken or goat curry, with buss up shut. They take the paratha roti bread freshly made, fold it/toss it with this tool and mess it up so when you lay it on the plate it looks like a "bust up shirt," or in the accent "buss up shut." Then you spoon the curry all around it, and you can use your fingers and the buss up shut and grab chunks of meat and sop up curry. Serve with channa and aloo.

Any meat really...

The Hot Pepper said:
Check out chicken or goat curry, with buss up shut. They take the paratha roti bread freshly made, fold it/toss it with this tool and mess it up so when you lay it on the plate it looks like a "bust up shirt," or in the accent "buss up shut." Then you spoon the curry all around it, and you can use your fingers and the buss up shut and grab chunks of meat and sop up curry. Serve with channa and aloo.

Any meat really...
That sounds good! I have had a lot of Paki style goat curry, I bet the Trinis take it to a whole new level.

Back