• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Lomo de Cerdo al a Crema de Ají Limo.

Take 3 aji Limo, deseed them, and throw them into a blender. Zest half a lemon, then add it with the aji Limo. Dice up 4 cloves of garlic, warm up 2 tablespoons of butter, and throw that in the blender with the aji Limo. Liquify. Add this mix to a pan, and sautee it. Once the garlic is cooked, add some heavy whipping cream, then cook it until it is a nice creamy sauce.

Cut the tenderloin into medallions, fry them up in a pan with olive oil, garlic, and some lemon zest.

Serve with rice and the veggies of your choice, I used brussel sprouts this time.

Attachments

• 20160216_183328.jpg
    20160216_183328.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20160216_204656.jpg
    20160216_204656.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 63
Some cracking plates of food there TGCM. Love Chanfainita.... i didnt know what it was the first time i tried it.... when i inquired i was told to be quiet and just eat lol. 

Suprised to hear bofe is illegal in the states, would have thought most cuts within reason could be sold as long as they are handled properly.

Your lomo con crema looks delicious also... my kinda portion... :P  

Lomo Saltado.

Take two 1lb. flanks, cut them into pieces. Dice up some garlic. Put the dice flank, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of aji panca in a bowl then mix well. Sautee until almost cooked, then ad 3 diced red onions, and 3 matchstick sliced aji amarillo. Once cooked, add a nice drizzle of soy sauce, a small amount of vinegar, and some diced culantro. Serve the lomo saltado on a bed of french fries, with a side of rice.

A good lomo saltado should have a good green sauce to accompany it. Take 3 limes and juice them into a blender. Add some culantro, 3 aji lemon drop peppers, a touch of vinegar, and a touch of EVOO. Liquify, amd serve immediately.

Attachments

• 20160218_183904.jpg
    20160218_183904.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20160218_203402.jpg
    20160218_203402.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20160218_180700.jpg
    20160218_180700.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20160218_203429.jpg
    20160218_203429.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
Nice. I've had this classic, this looks a lot better.

It's also similar to a Chinese dish with beef and tomatoes you get in Chinatown. Is there any Chinese influence? 

I found the Chinese recipe I find similar and WOW it looks like another angle of yours. Freakkkky!

Cantonese Tomato Beef

cantonese_tomato_beef.jpg

Cantonese Tomato Beef
Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1 pound flank steak, cut against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
  • 1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound tomatoes, cut into wedges
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Marinade:
  • 1 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
Instructions
  1. Marinate the beef: In a large bowl, stir together soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved. Toss the sliced beef in the marinade to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes to let the flavors absorb.
  2. Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine. Set aside.
  3. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and evaporates on contact. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl the pan to coat the base and sides. Add the beef and sear until light brown on the outside but not yet cooked through, about 2 minutes. Scoop the beef from the wok and set aside.
  4. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of the oil to the wok and swirl to coat the sides again. Add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes; they should soften but still be sturdy enough to hold their shape. Stir the sauce into the wok. Return the beef to the wok and stir-fry for another minute until the beef is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and serve with rice or noodles.

The Hot Pepper said:
I found the Chinese recipe I find similar and WOW it looks like another angle of yours. Freakkkky!

Cantonese Tomato Beef

cantonese_tomato_beef.jpg
Cantonese Tomato Beef
Serves 4

Ingredients

• 1 pound flank steak, cut against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
  • 1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound tomatoes, cut into wedges
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Marinade:
  • 1 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch

Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry

Instructions
  • Marinate the beef: In a large bowl, stir together soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved. Toss the sliced beef in the marinade to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes to let the flavors absorb.
  • Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine. Set aside.
  • Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and evaporates on contact. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl the pan to coat the base and sides. Add the beef and sear until light brown on the outside but not yet cooked through, about 2 minutes. Scoop the beef from the wok and set aside.
  • Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of the oil to the wok and swirl to coat the sides again. Add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes; they should soften but still be sturdy enough to hold their shape. Stir the sauce into the wok. Return the beef to the wok and stir-fry for another minute until the beef is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and serve with rice or noodles.
That looks like lomo saltado! I wouldn't be surprised if that is where the dish originated from, considering the great Chinese influence on Peruvian cuisine.

The Hot Pepper said:
Just add fries and some Pervian peppers hahaha...

Anyway you killed man!
Thank you sir, I always aim to please. When cooking Peruvian food, you can never be considered a good cook, unless your lomo saltado is on point. It is one of the dishes, aside from ceviche, that better be right when cooking for Peruvians.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
There probably is some chinese influence, as are many Peruvian dishes. Yes, all of the meat is sitting in a huge bed of french fries. I probably should have captured that better in this pic. There is only one straggling fry popping out, with the rest of his comrades getting marinated in all that delicious meat juice.

I understand there's a good amount of both Japanese and Chinese influence, with the former a little bit weighted towards Peru, and the latter a little bit more towards Ecuador ...

If I recall what I read correctly ... which is suspect, because my reading comp is shit ...

grantmichaels said:

I understand there's a good amount of both Japanese and Chinese influence, with the former a little bit weighted towards Peru, and the latter a little bit more towards Ecuador ...

If I recall what I read correctly ... which is suspect, because my reading comp is shit ...
There are definitely strong influences of both Japanese and Chinese in Peru. A Chinese-Peruvian restaurant and dishes are called Chifa. Japanese-Peruvian restaurants and dishes are called Nikkei. There is a Chifa/Nikkei restaurant in D.C. that is super bomb! My wife and I are going there again this weekend. Their ceviche bar is the best in the area.

Chinachilcano.com

Any stir fry with meat and rice involved is pretty much Chinese influence, just that the whole recipe and technique here resembled this specific Chinese dish. So I wondered if it had a story since this is sort of the national dish of Peru as well.

Okay this story will do:

Lomo Saltado: A Dish of Nation Building

No matter where one goes, one dish seems to represent Peruvian food almost more than any other.  I am not talking about ceviche, though God knows I love ceviche.  Instead it is a cross-cultural marriage of a beef stir fry with indigenous, Peruvian potatoes called Lomo Saltado.

Translated literally, the name seems to mean “jumped loin” or loin made to jump about.  The image is much more poetic and precise than the English stir fry, since the chef does make the beef jump in a hot fry pan or wok.

But a wok?  Stir fry?  This is Peru, not China.  How come words that suggest the other side of the Pacific Ocean are used to talk about the almost prototypical Peruvian dish?

In that is a story, an important story, about the layering of different cultures that makes up contemporary Peru.  In the nineteenth century, the Pacific was a superhighway of trade and migration.  Peruvians were among the first to reach California en masse to seek their fortune, once gold was discovered in Sutter’s mill.

The Gold rushes, in California and Australia, along with the demands of English mercantilism, led to a boom in commercial agriculture on Peru´s coast.  A labor force was needed.  Just as in the US west, where men from China built the railroads and worked in mining camps, masses of Chinese came to Peru.

Here, though, the Chinese blended over time into the indigenous population forming an important strand of what is simply called creole, or criollo, culture.

No one knows when or where.  But someone was the first to marry indigenous Peruvian notions of what a meal is, i.e. something with potatoes, with Chinese techniques of cooking.  From that was born a whole family of dishes simply called saltados, or stir frys.  While inevitably humble in origin, they can also become exquisitely refined in the hands of fine chefs.

While beef is the most common, the meat can become chicken to make a pollo saltado.  Or, instead of potatoes can one cane make a stir fry of those meats with noodles, forming one or another version of a tallarin saltado.

But these dishes, saltados all, are not considered Chinese, despite their origin.  Peru has its own tradition of Chinese food, simply called chifa, from the mandarin word “to eat.”   These saltados are national cuisine; they represent the nation.    They developed as part of a code of identity, what it means to be Peruvian, that spread throughout the country in the twentieth century.

Lomo saltado, as a result, whether a humble of elegant dish, is found from one corner of Peru to the other, as well as in the international Peruvian diaspora.

For example, not only did I taste it throughout Peru decades ago,  but stumbled on it long before Peruvian cuisine became known internationally, in a back corner of Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco.

A small sign in a modest Chinese restaurant on a back street said in Spanish, “We have Lomo Saltado”. It turns out the chef, though he was from Canton, had worked in Peru in a chifa, a Peruvian Chinese restaurant.  But he had also learned the code of national cuisine.  In San Francisco he found Peruvian workers, long before the immigration of Latinos became publicly visible in the US, and created a business cooking Peruvian food for them far away from their homeland, or his for that matter.

Lomo saltado, with its blend of Chinese technique  and Peruvian tastes, its cultural blending, was a useful metaphor for the mixing of official Peruvian culture in the early twentieth century.  Peru, like many other Latin American countries, celebrated the mixing of peoples.  The process was called mestizaje and the new people mestizos as a kind of new man.  They were an American man, neither from the old countries, nor from native Indians, but a hybrid with all the hybrid vigor.  Lomo saltado could symbolize that ideology and its power.

Though ceviche is well on its way to claiming the premiere place as a representative of Peruvian cooking, at the same time broasted chicken claims the hearts of the Peruvian masses, lomo saltado is still found on almost every menu.  Quietly and simply it stands. A pillar of Peruvian cooking, it is made with ingredients and techniques from other places, but fused in Peru into something uniquely Peruvian.  As such it deserves its place on almost every menu.

Back