• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

mpicante said:
Very nice varieties good luck to you on the upcoming season.I noticed the Supers are missing?

I grew mostly supers last year with terrible results, got only a few and honestly, I'm not on that level yet. I want peppers that everyone around me can enjoy as well. 

rghm1u20 said:
Nice list!
The Lemon Drop will be a winner!
I've only heard good things about it! I've grown the Aji Cito, and I really liked that one, do you reckon they'll be similar?

Trident chilli said:
Great to see your grow list Alana lovely varieties ... all the very best for 2016 with plenty of warm sunny days
Cheers! Hope you have a great season too!

Comptine said:
I've only heard good things about it! I've grown the Aji Cito, and I really liked that one, do you reckon they'll be similar?

Never had the Aji Cito. I only had Lemon Drop on 2014, and Aji Pineapple for 2015, I still ask myself if they are one and the same. I probably grow them both in 2016, to taste them side by side.

rghm1u20 said:
Never had the Aji Cito. I only had Lemon Drop on 2014, and Aji Pineapple for 2015, I still ask myself if they are one and the same. I probably grow them both in 2016, to taste them side by side.

I'm growing both at the same time as well, so it'll be interesting to see what the results are. The cito plant I have right now will probably be given away or go in the compost if I can't find a new home for it. Making room for new varieties. I'm thinking that in 5 years I might have accumulated a few favourite peppers that I always grow.

mpicante said:
Ah yes the supers arent for everyone.Your pubescens varieties are awesome.Very tasty peppers.

Cheers, I chose my pubes based on what would work for my part of the world, I don't have the longest season, and I believe these will produce fruit fast (as fast as pubes go).

I had Limon and Pineapple last year as well as Burpees Hot Lemon. Pineapple was my favorite. The Limon were at times runty pods. Taste wise they are all super similar. I would say the lemon were just a tad more bitter, when eaten side by side. This year I will only bother with the pineapple. I'll just grow more of them.

I guess I just couldn't contain my excitement, I started a few seeds already. Could not decide whether to start pubes or chinenses so I did a few of both. What I did different this year was not throwing all of my seeds in, but actually just three at a time now, I figured that I have plenty of time if they don't germinate. I guess I'll update the first post on which I've started germinating. 

Hah, only thing is, the Hab Manzano seeds where white, so I'm not sure what went wrong there lol. 

Cool list :)
Prepare yourself for unlimited Chupetinho's and great taste of Bonda ma Jacques (thanks to rghm1u20 for spreading those).

Good luck with the grow and let's hope for a good summer this year.

tsurrie said:
Cool list :)
Prepare yourself for unlimited Chupetinho's and great taste of Bonda ma Jacques (thanks to rghm1u20 for spreading those).

Good luck with the grow and let's hope for a good summer this year.

Thank you! The chupetinho's just look amazing, I'd grow them purely as ornamental too.

Comptine said:

That's a nice list you've got.  Good luck in 2016.

PMJI, but if you're looking for one more baccatum (You can never have too many!), one that will be different from the others, I'll give a shout to Cap267  Sold in Great Britain by http://www.curiousplants.co.uk/cap267-chilli-seeds---the-worlds-best-chilli-166-p.asp
I don't know that they are the 'world's best' :rolleyes: but IMO they are mighty tasty, crunchy and not-too-hot.  They are awesome in salsa!
Aji Crystal is very similar.

Geonerd said:

That's a nice list you've got.  Good luck in 2016.

PMJI, but if you're looking for one more baccatum (You can never have too many!), one that will be different from the others, I'll give a shout to Cap267  Sold in Great Britain by http://www.curiousplants.co.uk/cap267-chilli-seeds---the-worlds-best-chilli-166-p.asp
I don't know that they are the 'world's best' :rolleyes: but IMO they are mighty tasty, crunchy and not-too-hot.  They are awesome in salsa!
Aji Crystal is very similar.

Thank you for the tip! Aji Cristal has been on my 'to grow' list for a while now. The short Baccatum list this year is because I just grew a bunch of them as my winter project, and as much as I really liked them I want to try them all so to speak before settling down on favourites. I'll definitely add CAP267 to my 'to buy' list.

Chilidude said:
Bonda ma jacques is not a C.annuum as you listed it, as it is a C.chinense.
 Hahaha, oops   :banghead:  :doh:

Cheers for the heads up, I'll change it in my notes as well. They were freebee seeds that I got from pepperlover I believe.

UPDATE

It's impossible to get a good picture of seeds with your phone, but I do believe we have the first pepper of the year live. It's a Scotch Bonnet MOA, and the root has a black tip, what's up with that?

I also seem to have a mold issue with my Lindeberg seeds, anyone else have this problem? I did just order that powder thingie mix that you put in water to soak your seeds in to help them germ and to kill off mold. Lucky I didn't put all my eggs in one basket, or all seeds in the paper towel in this case.

Back