• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

Comptine said:

It's a bit nippy at the moment. We're around -10 right now, but the last few days we were closer to -20. First proper winter in 2-3 years now. Only positive thing is that with all the snow it looks really bright on the sunny days =D

jeez.. if only we had snow... it's sunny and cloudy, temps around 0 to -10 ... but no snow.. last week it was warm and rainy... this winter is terrible, last year was a blast... two big snow deliveries with about 50cm of snow... it lasted for a while.... now I have to go to the ski jumping site to watch it fall :) (snow guns)

anyways... sprouts looking good. Congrats!

The plants begin to slowly reveal their cotys. I find that this stage is a very extended one, it feels like there won't be any true leaves until February. The good news is that nearly all varieties germinated, except for the two Aji Chuncho seeds I had, and until this morning the Bonda Ma Jacques. So last night I put some more seeds to soak overnight, and this morning in a papper towel. The Chuncho gave a problems last year too, when I was trying to turn it into a winter project of mine, the plants were a no show.

Anyway, since nothing exciting is happening with the new plants I want to share an older one with you. Around July last year I decided to see if I could get an extended season indoors, mostly because I had just bought a bunch of new seeds I really wanted to try. One of them is my Star of Turkey from pepperlover. The plant was kept in a 1.4 litre pot (which is tiny), despite this it grew into a small tree. It has had two rounds of fruit actually. First round of fruit produced 6 small but decent sized fruits. The second flovering round happened in December which in Sweden is virtually no sun, I got 4 tiny pods out of that round. None the size advertised in pepperlover's picture, but I never expected that. I've had to trim it down on multiple occasions because it grew so much. I'm sharing this with you because that plant is about to become compost, I'm making space for new plants. 

The larger fruit is from the first round, and comparatively it has kept pretty well in the fridge.

Haha, nope. -10C is about right. It's gone up a little in the last few days now, we might go into the plusses soon. 

Things are going pretty well for the most part. Here in Sweden we're gaining just over 5 minutes of daylight a day, which is appreciated. 

The seedlings are working on their first set of true leaves. 

The only problem I'm having is with the Aji Jobito. Both seeds germinated, but have not made it out of the soil, so I'm inclined to believe that something is wrong with them. I'll start a few more I guess, this is one I'm really looking forward to trying. Actually, I'm having issues with the Aji Chuncho as well. Between last summer and now I must have tried to germinate close to 40 seeds, with not a single one actually showing any sign of life. This is a little disappointing. The seeds came from pepperlover and this in the first time I've ever had an issues with her seeds.

I also have problems with my C.chinense seeds not germinating fast enough, but maybe i am just too impatient. All the other seeds like Annuums and Baccatums germinated no problem.

Chilidude said:
I also have problems with my C.chinense seeds not germinating fast enough, but maybe i am just too impatient. All the other seeds like Annuums and Baccatums germinated no problem.

The chinenses all germinated fairly quickly actually. The pubes took longer. Even the Aji Jobito germinated, it's just that it seemed to die off at some stage which was odd. The chunchos which are fructescense must be a bad batch of seeds. They've been germinating for a month now without any results. 

Trident chilli said:
 will you re-sow the chunchos

Unlikely, I tried at least 40 seeds by now, and there must be something wrong when not a single one of them germinates. It's not like I'm giving them special treatment either, all other seeds germinated fine with the same methods. 

Comptine said:

Unlikely, I tried at least 40 seeds by now, and there must be something wrong when not a single one of them germinates. It's not like I'm giving them special treatment either, all other seeds germinated fine with the same methods. 

Maybe the seeds have been taken from a unripe chili or the seed drying process have been overdone, thus killing the seeds.

Chilidude said:

Maybe the seeds have been taken from a unripe chili or the seed trying process have been overdone, thus killing the seeds.

I'm just surprised because they came from pepperlover. I have sent her an email asking about that.

dragonsfire said:
Unless they got radiated during postal inspections. I send mine wrapped in tin foil.

I've never heard about that before. Does that actually happen? 

No, I don't see how that could have happened as the other seeds from that order germinated just fine. I really can't see any other reasons apart from it just being bad seeds. I'm not too bummed, I'll probably plant another fructescense in it's place. I started these ones early because they didn't germinate last year, thinking they might need some more time or something, and to allow time for a second round now. 

I will probably plant the remainder of the seeds at the end of the month now. We get very little sun time during winter, the worst day of the year is only 6 hours of sun. Not ideal conditions for someone growing without grow lights. So I've been closely watching the development there. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/sweden/orebro At the end of the month we'll have 10 hours 30 minutes, so things are moving fast now. I only have so many south facing windows, and I have tomatoes to plant later.

I purchased some Aji Chuncho from pepperlover this year as well.  The seeds were all dark in color.  I thought maybe that might be a thing with this pepper type.  I haven't got any of them to germinate as well.

bpiela said:
I purchased some Aji Chuncho from pepperlover this year as well.  The seeds were all dark in color.  I thought maybe that might be a thing with this pepper type.  I haven't got any of them to germinate as well.

These are my chuncho seeds, all that remains of them. Now that you mention they are a little darker, I just thought that was normal for the type. But I'm glad that I'm not crazy and that others have had issues as well. 

Tiny update.

We have slow but steady progress. I don't use any artificial lights, it's the good old sun only here. It doesn't help that it's been overcast most days, but we did get some full days with solid sun, and the days are getting longer. I had two Aji Jobito seeds show a taproot before I popped them into the soil, but somehow they failed to emerge. Now I have three tiny seedlings that I started later. It's fun to see the difference between the Jobitos that popped up yesterday and seedlings that are nearly a month old now. I also filled the last empty cell with a back up Chinese Pot, I might just germinate a few more of them and have them as plants I give away to people. I'm already itching to start the remaining seeds, but I'm trying to hold off at least another week, I don't have much space left on my south facing window, so I'm trying to wait for the days to get a little longer and they'll get either an east or west facing window.

Back