• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

EvanWilliams1988 said:
Good luck Alana. Hope you have a wonderful season with many bountiful harvests.

Cheers Wayne! I have you to thank for a good portion of my seed stock. Are you still interested in those seeds we talked about btw?

Comptine said:

Cheers Wayne! I have you to thank for a good portion of my seed stock. Are you still interested in those seeds we talked about btw?
Sure. Pm me,so,we can talk about it further. Oh,I'm sure others will agree with me,but,by the time it's said and dine,you'll be tired of picking piquins lol.

EvanWilliams1988 said:
by the time it's said and dine,you'll be tired of picking piquins lol.

I wish I'll be so lucky that I get such a harvest! I'm growing quite a few small fruit varieties. 

All I can find on the Chinese Pot is this

http://www.chiliwiki.fi/index.php?title=Chinese_Pot_Chilli

The fruits in that picture look very similar to the dried fruit that was in the packet, so I'm hoping it's the same one. Those are tiny buggers. 

Comptine said:

I wish I'll be so lucky that I get such a harvest! I'm growing quite a few small fruit varieties. 

All I can find on the Chinese Pot is this

http://www.chiliwiki.fi/index.php?title=Chinese_Pot_Chilli

The fruits in that picture look very similar to the dried fruit that was in the packet, so I'm hoping it's the same one. Those are tiny buggers. 
Even a small plant will give you hundreds of little firecrackers. Those Chinese Pot look almost like Donni Sali.

EvanWilliams1988 said:
Even a small plant will give you hundreds of little firecrackers. Those Chinese Pot look almost like Donni Sali.

Never heard of those before, they do look very similar, but most small reds do. The seeds inside mine were tiny. Looking at Nigel's review of the Donni Sali, and they look extremely similar.

Comptine said:

Never heard of those before, they do look very similar, but most small reds do. The seeds inside mine were tiny. Looking at Nigel's review of the Donni Sali, and they look extremely similar.
A lot of frutescens are quite similar to each other. If you look at Bradley's Bahamian you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm slowly filling this thing up every day. None have broken the ground yet, but all seeds that had tap roots went into the soil. I'm still keeping it relatively close to the heater since the soil doesn't need to photosynthesis. I came up with a great solution to labelling, I printed out the names, cut them out and laminated the pieces. It works really well! The names are clearly visible and there is no damage to the sign when I spray the plants with water.

Comptine said:
The peppers must have felt my impatience and two have just shown hooks! The winner is Habanero Manzano with SB MOA being a very close second.

Haha, the picture is absolutely terrible, but hopefully I have some cotys to show instead. 

That's Photoshop! :rofl:

rghm1u20 said:
That's Photoshop! :rofl:

No, they are real!

Lovepeppers said:
Nice grow list you have.
I wish the best for your 2016 grow.

Cheers mate!

Runescape said:
Congrats.

Those labels are awesome, couldn't help noticing the Star Wars box in the background lol.

I love Star Wars! The latest film inspired me to rewatch them, Empire is my favourite. I was watching it with the commentary track on actually. 

Trident chilli said:
 how's the weather with you

It's a bit nippy at the moment. We're around -10 right now, but the last few days we were closer to -20. First proper winter in 2-3 years now. Only positive thing is that with all the snow it looks really bright on the sunny days =D

Comptine said:

I know, I just needed an excuse to post the picture. 

I've only had one pube give a tap root so far, so they seem to take a lot longer to germinate. 
Depends, sometime the pubes germinate in shorter time too. But I had also long term kind...
BTW, each kind of the seeds you sent me, are sleeping now on a wet paper towel. Germination mode activated :dance:

Trident chilli said:
Alana -10 would bring this country to a stand still ... an inch of snow and we can't cope

I know. First year I lived in London (2008) you guys got 10-15 cm of snow, no tube was running, no buses, and uni was cancelled! 

Back