stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

NP Rick, nothing that a spicy dinner, a craft beer and good sleep can't fix :D

s'right brother... I'm on it! :beer:

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#102 windchicken

windchicken

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Hey Gary! I've always been curious about new mexican chiles but never growed one. I've noticed that texas and mexican chiles grow very well in my climate so i may give numex a try. You're so lucky having them available in local stores / markets :)

Nice to know you're further selecting Forbing Naga, giant naga pods with plenty heat sound great!

Chinense had very hard time growing properly in my garden this year, this is probably related to the fact they're more sensitive about soil / ph (they share their space with my giant hedge and tons of falling leaves) or some kind of critter.

As you see tepins and pequins apparently don't care. Same trend two seasons ago on a few test plants (was my first year there).

I will further scale back peppers in the next season and may devote to flavor (favorite annuums and maybe a couple frutescens).

Be well

F

For you, my friend, I will send actual pods of my very best dried red New Mexico Chile, which are far superior to those available in the stores...🤠

Sorry about your C. chinense plants. I agree, they do seem to be fussier about soil, and sunlight, as well. For years I have been toying with the fantasy of growing C. annuum exclusively, however, very recently I have decided to always grow an even mix of C. chinense and C. annuum, even though, like you, I greatly prefer the flavor of dried red C. annuum. The reason being that C. chinense seems to do much better in a very rainy summer, as we are having in Louisiana this year. That way I can hedge my bets...Whether the summer turns out "tropical," like the Summer of 2017, or "desert," like most every other summer, I will have some plants that produce well....

Edited by windchicken, 29 August 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#103 Datil

Datil

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

For you, my friend, I will send actual pods of my very best dried red New Mexico Chile, which are far superior to those available in the stores...🤠

Sorry about your C. chinense plants. I agree, they do seem to be fussier about soil, and sunlight, as well. For years I have been toying with the fantasy of growing C. annuum exclusively, however, very recently I have decided to always grow an even mix of C. chinense and C. annuum, even though, like you, I greatly prefer the flavor of dried red C. annuum. The reason being that C. chinense seems to do much better in a very rainy summer, as we are having in Louisiana this year. That way I can hedge my bets...Whether the summer turns out "tropical," like the Summer of 2017, or "desert," like most every other summer, I will have some plants that produce well....

You're too kind brother Gary!
I will hugely appreciate a sample of your dried numex!!
You're right about rain that's why i think pH issues... We had ZERO rain this summer and plants got a strict diet of tap water... I'm thinking about a small setup to collect rain water from the roof, we'll see.
Keep on rocking those chinenses, that's what thp folks rave about :D

Take care!

F

Edited by Datil, 29 August 2017 - 02:24 PM.

"From a small seed a mighty trunk may grow."

#104 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,314 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

You mentioned the Thai pepper above in a paste. Last year I grew the Large Orange Thai and the wife fell in love with it. Both fresh and dried. So easy to work with and if you want it really hot just add more. She uses it in everything. The really cool thing is they grow really well here all season. For us that's a major plus ;)

Those evil looking pods you have there are pain makers!

Keep it green Fabrizio!

It's all about the pods....

#105 Datil

Datil

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:16 AM

You mentioned the Thai pepper above in a paste. Last year I grew the Large Orange Thai and the wife fell in love with it. Both fresh and dried. So easy to work with and if you want it really hot just add more. She uses it in everything. The really cool thing is they grow really well here all season. For us that's a major plus ;)

Those evil looking pods you have there are pain makers!

Keep it green Fabrizio!

Thanks for the suggestion Scott!

I've grown the 'standard' Thai Orange (originally from SSE) which is smaller and hotter and produce like crazy as well; flavor is very nice too. I believe that every thai type may do very well in my environment.

I'll let you know further about the pain bringed by the few supehot i'm going to harvest :)

F

"From a small seed a mighty trunk may grow."

#106 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

You have some great pods coming along, Fabrizio!

That 'Unholy Bhut' defies description!

:dance: Every Pod a Victory!  Life Force is Strong!

Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques - Community Grow 

#107 Essegi

Essegi

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • aka:SG
  • (x2)

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:11 AM

Cool pods!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Naga, Bhut, Chiltepin, Landraces, Trusty sources, Seldom updated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests