• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fake Pepper X seeds missing

Before Carolina Reaper had its name, folk were selling fake HP22B seeds left and right.  It is probably where Ebay got such a horrible reputation for seeds.  Before Chocolate Bhutlah SM was being sold as seed stock, same thing was going on.  Probably 90% of what was out there were brown 7 pots or ghost peppers.

Seems like nobody is faking Pepper X seeds.  Not saying that is a bad thing, just seems odd.  I would expect things like green moruga or even gator jigsaw seeds would be all over ebay as Pepper X seeds by now.

Maybe enough folk have learned our lesson???  Naw, I am still a sucker. 

It could happen in time, but before it does there's always Jim Duffy who was quick to rush to market with a "Pepper X" of his own - very likely in an attempt to cash in on the hype around the name and the confusion he knew he would create by doing so (regardless of how clear he is that his hybrid isn't the same as Ed Currie's). Cheap marketing tactic, but I'm sure it's gotten him a few extra sales.

When I first started growing peppers, I got taken by seed/plant vendor because I didnt know any better, in hindsight I wish I had found this site first. I ordered 10 different varieties I ended up with ONLY 2 plants both the wrong type. I have since ordered from Jim Duffy with great success. I dont know much about the pepper X other than I have tasted The Last Dab (greenish verison) sauce, my opinion at best would be.... meh. Its hot but not much else going on there. I think both Jim Duffy and Ed Curry are probably good people and know their craft. I wish both of them the best. I think they probably like to goad each other on purpose. People love a good drama! Lol

If you read this thing, there is a claim that all of the seed dealers are selling Pepper X secretly.  That you have to have the secret code to buy the thing.  Like lots of seed dealers and pod reviewers, I got a box in the mail.  They looked like rotten green moruga.  I figured it was some type of practical joke.  Later, the FBI reviewer guy got contacted by the actual FBI and there was a newspaper article about how Puckerbutt got ripped off.  Maybe a practical joke that got out of hand?

If there is some secret union of pepper seed sellers that have some secret code for selling Pepper X seeds, I was left out of the loop.  Maybe I missed the secret meeting of the secret agent pepper man's union.  Those meetings are so damn boring.  First the Pod Father makes a speech, goes on forever, then the minions start to bicker.  Same thing every month.

https://buypepperxseeds.tumblr.com/

Crispee-FL said:
 I think they probably like to goad each other on purpose. People love a good drama! Lol

That is kind of what I think.  It was a practical joke gone nuts when the FBI got involved.  The site doesnt seem to actually sell Pepper X seeds.  Well, unless I am missing the secret box to enter the secret code.

If someone really wanted to scam Pepper X seeds, I would think they would go Ebay or even Amazon cause that seems to be where the scams take place.

Only one of the dozens of seed types I have ordered from RFC has not grown true, and that one has led to the Brown Large Scorpion cross I am attempting to stabilize.

While RFC is not the cheapest, Mr. Duffy has, IMHO, excellent service, a large selection, and high quality products.

Yes, there are many other vendors, some of which I buy from, some I do not (for various reasons), but RFC has been my go-to for five years now.

I dont see anyone trashing on Mr. Duffy.  Mr. Duffy and Mr. Curry have had this frenenemy thing going on since the whole Moruga Scorpion vs. Carolina Reaper thing.  I'll bet they drink bier together at the conventions.

alkhall said:
Only one of the dozens of seed types I have ordered from RFC has not grown true, and that one has led to the Brown Large Scorpion cross I am attempting to stabilize.

While RFC is not the cheapest, Mr. Duffy has, IMHO, excellent service, a large selection, and high quality products.

Yes, there are many other vendors, some of which I buy from, some I do not (for various reasons), but RFC has been my go-to for five years now.
to clarify I have never had a problem with Jim Duffy, it was someone else... actually mentioned here and was a member here Caribbean Gardens. Just awful in my opinion

Voodoo 6 said:
I am looking forward to see how the Primo peppers turn out. That is one solid breeder.

Had a stroke like event ten years ago.  I still screw up words sometimes.  Its more noticeable when I talk but still there in typed words.  Folk here have been cool about it after I stuck around and started to fit in.  What in the hell does this have to do with what you said?  

I am an absolute nobody who often sounds like Rainman.  From day one, Mr. Primeaux treated me well and took time out of his day to reply to my emails. In the business he is one of the most stand up guys I have met.  Mr. Curry, well I dont know the guy at all.

So you'd think I would be rooting for a conclusion that it was Mr. Primeaux that created Carolina Reaper.  Thing is, what I really hope is that they turn out to be different peppers and Mr. Curry is actually a stand up guy too.  Again, dont know him.  Just kind of hope folk are honest and the whole damn thing is a misunderstanding.

Thing is I still believe in Santa Clause also.

Super Hots Canada said:
It could happen in time, but before it does there's always Jim Duffy who was quick to rush to market with a "Pepper X" of his own - very likely in an attempt to cash in on the hype around the name and the confusion he knew he would create by doing so (regardless of how clear he is that his hybrid isn't the same as Ed Currie's). Cheap marketing tactic, but I'm sure it's gotten him a few extra sales.
That's all Jim duffy is good at.  Selling unstable hybrids without even growing them out.  Easy way to make a quick buck off other's peoples hybrids, which are either accidental or intentional.  

On Mr. Duffy selling unstable hybrids, I agree he does.  He has things like Big Black Mama before they are even released by the developer.  But is that really a bad thing?  Some folk want those early / pre release seeds.  Some people dont.  I grew Big Black Mama before its release.  Forget where the seeds came from.  Then Primo released them and I purchased them to replace what I had.  Best of both worlds. 

AJ Drew said:
On Mr. Duffy selling unstable hybrids, I agree he does.  He has things like Big Black Mama before they are even released by the developer.  But is that really a bad thing?  Some folk want those early / pre release seeds.  Some people dont.  I grew Big Black Mama before its release.  Forget where the seeds came from.  Then Primo released them and I purchased them to replace what I had.  Best of both worlds. 
Fuck yeah it's a bad thing.  Don't get me started on what he did my friend Chad.  Low life scum is what Jim is.  Yeah i have three different phenos of the bbm with the one i grew last year being the only true one of those three.

jedisushi06 said:
f**k yeah it's a bad thing.  Don't get me started on what he did my friend Chad.  Low life scum is what Jim is.  Yeah i have three different phenos of the bbm with the one i grew last year being the only true one of those three.

That is why I picked BBM as an example.  Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp is another good example.  I very much see your point.  Selling / Gifting / Trading before stable does cause confusion.  But my thing is that as long as the source is responsible and explains what a seed is, then it is up to the receiver to be responsible.

On Mr. Duffy himself, lots of folk think  I am a total ass.  Sometimes personalities just dont mix well.  On his product, I have never had a bad experience.  I will say I wish seed dealers had more expertise, but I am a seed dealer with little expertise too.  About the only one I now with formal training is Primo  Oh damn I want that man's education. 

What's funny is those two types of BBM i grew first came from Jim duffy and neither were correct.  As far as pepper x goes it's probably a myth like the Boogie man.  No pepper can reach 3 million.  I had a long talk with Troy in person about this.  So say a third party sold a bunch of your hybrids to Jim Duffy to profit from and you would cool with that based on the fact that there's a demand for it?

AJ Drew said:
If there is some secret union of pepper seed sellers that have some secret code for selling Pepper X seeds, I was left out of the loop.  Maybe I missed the secret meeting of the secret agent pepper man's union.  Those meetings are so damn boring.  First the Pod Father makes a speech, goes on forever, then the minions start to bicker.  Same thing every month.

https://buypepperxseeds.tumblr.com/

nice cover, AJ!

AJ Drew said:
`
Yea but the secret handshake is so much fun!

secret-handshake.gif

jedisushi06 said:
What's funny is those two types of BBM i grew first came from Jim duffy and neither were correct.  As far as pepper x goes it's probably a myth like the Boogie man.  No pepper can reach 3 million.  I had a long talk with Troy in person about this.  So say a third party sold a bunch of your hybrids to Jim Duffy to profit from and you would cool with that based on the fact that there's a demand for it?

If the seller disclosed that the seeds are pre-release / unstable, then yes.  It is advertising for the final release.  I marked Big Black Mama as out of stock now that Primo released his and we purchased it.  But this is an example of what I mean.

http://www.peppersbymail.com/product/big-black-mama-seeds-20/

Now that he has released the final version of the thing, I'll be getting around to changing the page to read it is available from the developer the same way I did with the 7 Pot Primo pepper seeds.  If you scroll to the bottom, you will find an advertisement for Primo Peppers (his web site) which promotes his seeds and hot sauces.

http://www.peppersbymail.com/product/7-pot-primo-red-seeds-20/

Not the best location for an advertisement, but people do see it and so does google bot.

The way I see seeds is when I sell something developed by someone else it is kind of like selling a used car.  As long as you are honest with what is wrong with the thing or could be wrong, then I think you are greatly above others.

Back