• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2 Questions....

Hey guys,
I have a few questions I hope you can answer. I was wondering what lighting conditions you grow your pubescens in? Do you put them in full sun or a partly shaded area?
Also, I was wondering if you remove the lower leaves from plants you decide to bury deeper? Or do you bury the stem and lower leaves?

This is my first year growing peppers AND growing anything from see so I read a LOT before I got started. As far as lights I don't have a south facing window so I setup a makesift growing container that I put next to my patio so I can not only get light from outside, but also extra light from my CF setup. I have 2 96w tubes that are in a single light case that I have mounted on top of a large box. I basically just drilled a couple of holes and used hanger to suspend the box over the seeds. This way that get a LOT of light and still have the light from outside as well. Here is the article that I used to help me get started.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/464/

Ohh sorry for not being specific, but the article says MORE LIGHT and to bury the stems deeper. Not sure if it's exact, but since this is my first year I hope they work out right!

I appreciate the info LGHT but I was refering specifically to pubescens being outdoors. It has been mentioned that pubescens prefer cooler growing environments that is why I was wondering if people put them in partial shade. Dave mentions burying the plants deeper but doesn't seem to address my leaf removal question. Thanks for the link though.

Josh...I can't answer the pubescens question, but I take the lower leaves off the seedlings when I transplant them....and if any leaves are touching the soil after transplant, I remove them too...I don't want the leaves touching the soil...

I would really like to answer your question but again this year all of my pubescens failed to sprout. :( Otherwise, the rest of my peppers make the kitchen look like a rainforest.:lol:

Wish I could answer the first question, because I've been asking myself for a bit now. It's my first year growing C. pubescens and the sun has been really working most of mine over. I'm moving them all over the place trying to see what amount and intensity of light seems to be best. Also plan on trying out some greenhouse (I've heard of people using 60-80%) cloth overhead of some to kinda regulate the direct overhead/midday sun. My gut feeling is it's not gonna be a good first year for them. I plan on trying to re sow some and have them bud maybe around September.

As for the second question, I'd tend to agree with removal.

My first year Manzano and Yellow Rocotto are just starting to bloom,we are having very cool nites,so all is well.I have not even tried to pollinate them yet I tghought I'd give them a chance.From what I've read,I'm going with the shadecloth,in the sideyard in the 80 degree nites.

Josh, my only experience with pubescens us what I've grown so far from seed. Most are still aroud 5 inches high now, and starting to split, but are still inside.

However, I did plant one plant for Shts and giggles that wasn't even hardened off, and its doing really well. One plant looked kinda bad, so I put it out where it gets afternoon sun next to a wall. It dropped it's bottom leaves, but has been growing fast and greening up on half day sun and temps in the 50's at night.

If you have a few plants, try them in different conditions for the first few weeks, and see what they like.

My pubescens are in part shade, and have grown absolutely fine. My backyard doesnt get a lot of sunlight, so we get a few hours in the morning, and a few at night, and I have pubescens above my fence line after less than a year or growing.

I have a Goat's Weed that I put with my pubescens, and for a long time it was my tallest plant, but the pubescens have finally taken over.

It's not the light that bothers them, but the heat. as long as they don't get overheated, they can have as much light as possible. here even the Chineses usually die if I won't cover them with something during the winter, so the Pubescens go into a place where there's always shade. no direct sun for me. not even a little.

Josh said:
Hey guys,
I have a few questions I hope you can answer. I was wondering what lighting conditions you grow your pubescens in? Do you put them in full sun or a partly shaded area?
Also, I was wondering if you remove the lower leaves from plants you decide to bury deeper? Or do you bury the stem and lower leaves?

Hey Josh
the light is ok, as long as its not really intense. Its the heat during the day they don't seem to like, I usually start mine as early as possible, when the weather is a lot cooler and place near a window so they get plenty of light.
Also when I repot the taller growing chilli, I strip the leaves from the stem that are going in the ground, the nodes where the leaves once were start to root if they're kept moist and deep enough!

Last year was my first year with rocotos. Planted it in a grow tote in the yard, mostly sun but some shade later on from an ash tree up behind the garden. Crazy thing didn't care, it took over the tote tried to crowd out the other pepper, leaves all down the outside of tote and on the ground, nothing phased it..one tough pepper. I think they'll grow anywhere, just try to stop them lol.

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I only have one Red Rocoto growing right now mainly because I ran out of room and had to chuck all my backups(my mom had me growing some flowers which took up a lot of space). It is going in a 10 gallon smart pot so it will be moveable but I don't know how easy that will be. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it and see how it does. Thanks again.

Josh, I've grown my Manzanos in 5 gallon black containers on asphalt in the full heat of summer and they survived fine. And you're north of me. I think they may be the toughest pepper plants ever personally. And aphids don't seem to like them so overwintering is a must. A Manzano in a 10 gallon is going to be huge in a few years, you'll be amazed and probably have enough pods to feed your whole neighborhood. Other than the hand pollination, they are a dream pepper IMO. I think you can put them anywhere and they'll be fine.

Josh,

For me at least, Rocoto plants have been my greatest challenge. It's a beautiful plant and I have had my best success growing them in partial shade. I live in Panama City and I can tell you that they do not like the relentless heat of the Florida sun unabated. My yellow Rocoto has started to bloom this week and I will soon be following the advice of BigT and manually germinating it as I've not been able to get it to pod in its past two seasons of growth.

I'm hoping the third is the charm....

bigt said:
Josh, I've grown my Manzanos in 5 gallon black containers on asphalt in the full heat of summer and they survived fine. And you're north of me. I think they may be the toughest pepper plants ever personally. And aphids don't seem to like them so overwintering is a must. A Manzano in a 10 gallon is going to be huge in a few years, you'll be amazed and probably have enough pods to feed your whole neighborhood. Other than the hand pollination, they are a dream pepper IMO. I think you can put them anywhere and they'll be fine.
What are the temps at the "full heat of summer"?

You have to harden off pubes real good!! before exposing to direct light. It can take up to 6 weeks before they feel comfortable depending on variety. Use multiple layers of lace cloths to protect them and gradually remove the layers.
I did some "tests" with a pube in direct light and one in the mini GH. Of course the pube that got direct sun curled all of his leaves like a cigar.

bigt said:

I think I am going to start them in full sun and just keep an eye on them when it gets close to July. Hopefully I will have the same success in full sun you had.

Bob_B said:
Josh,

For me at least, Rocoto plants have been my greatest challenge. It's a beautiful plant and I have had my best success growing them in partial shade. I live in Panama City and I can tell you that they do not like the relentless heat of the Florida sun unabated. My yellow Rocoto has started to bloom this week and I will soon be following the advice of BigT and manually germinating it as I've not been able to get it to pod in its past two seasons of growth.

I'm hoping the third is the charm....

Good luck with the germination problem. Hopefully me being North with help keep things a bit cooler.

lee said:
You have to harden off pubes real good!! before exposing to direct light. It can take up to 6 weeks before they feel comfortable depending on variety. Use multiple layers of lace cloths to protect them and gradually remove the layers.
I did some "tests" with a pube in direct light and one in the mini GH. Of course the pube that got direct sun curled all of his leaves like a cigar.

I am currently hardening my plants off and the Rocoto appears to be holding strong. It has seen direct morning and evening sun with no problems. Next weekend all my plants will probably get a good dose of afternoon sun. I will be watching them closely. Thanks for the advice.

thats right omri last year i had 12 rocotos and they were in full sun and they all died so this year i will make sure they stay in cool area away from heat and sun

Back