• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2022 - too early to get started...

My real start of the season is still months away but I couldn't resist to put something in the soil already - Tasmanian Black! :dance:

P1020814.jpg

Alright, Marc! Nice color on the cotys.
Glad that one popped so readily for you!

Nice looking Tasi start, @MarcV! Looks like it
will be a go-getter. Nice purple cotys and healthy
true leaves on a sturdy stem. Be sure to let me
know ifyou need more Tasmanian Black seeds to
replace the helmet heads.

My real start of the season is still months away but I couldn't resist to put something in the soil already - Tasmanian Black! :dance:

P1020814.jpg
Ahaha, count me in as I sprouted a few too!! Color on this one is spot on👍 You'll soon notice that this variety is growing quite fast but the damn pods take forever to ripen!! @PaulG my germination rate is way higher this year at around 90% so far💊

Hmmm that's not good... most of the annuums I grow seem to take forever to ripen, especially the thick walled types... ðŸĪ”

Hmmm that's not good... most of the annuums I grow seem to take forever to ripen, especially the thick walled types... ðŸĪ”

How long before the Ice Saints arrive? Jan - Feb - March - April - May - five months until the risk of frost will have passed ðŸĨķ And at that time your plant will start experience better natural growing conditions. I think you may have a pepper in 2022 😁

Haha yes maybe one or two jalapeÃąos. I had about 5 different jalapeÃąo plants last season and about equally as much ripe fruits (don't want them green...). Poblano the same thing... but the scotch bonnets produced ripe fruits like crazy!

I usually put them outside halfway April in a tomato grow tent because by that time they become too large to keep inside under the grow lamps. Normally I do have enough space inside but my daughter has consumed al my available grow space with her succulents... 🙄

Last edited:
So there you have it... seeds for 2022 have been planted today! Wife wasn't really happy with me doing this on January the 1st 😁 but I couldn't resist.

What's in?
  • 7pot brainstrain yellow (semillas)
  • SB cappuccino (WHP)
  • SB chocolate (WHP)
  • SB HSH (humble servants homestead)
  • SB Marabella market caramel (JGBaxter59)
  • SB MOA red (RFC)
  • SB Peach (Trident)
  • SB Walton Farm (Trident?)
  • JA Red habanero purple foliage cross (PaulG)
  • SB7J (Trident)
  • Scotch Brains (WHP)
  • 1 open spot left
My humble setup... heated propagator set to a fixed temperature of 25°C/77°F
P1000029.jpg

Looks like the fun begins in earnest, @MarcV!

I'll be watching the JA Red Habanero cross with
great interest. Large, bhut-ish red pods in 2121.

Whoa 2121... That's still a long time to go! ðŸ˜ąðŸĪŠðŸĨ‚😅

What does JA actually stand for?

Was your JA red a F1 plant? That would mean that my expected seedlings are F2 with an unpredictable outcome. I'll only be keeping one seedling (of the 4 seeds I planted). I wonder how I should select the one to keep...

Whoa 2121... That's still a long time to go! ðŸ˜ąðŸĪŠðŸĨ‚😅

What does JA actually stand for?
:rofl:Guess I was stuck in a Back to the Future
time warp!

JA = Jamaican. The original seed for this came
from Jamaica via @WalkGood and @Devv in 2014.
I guess this would be F7 or F8. I've reached back into
the seed from the last few years (2016, 2017, 2019)
for this year's grow. Will try to grow one of each, one
in a big container, and the other two in small pots for
extending the season in the Fall, if necessary.

Last edited:
First hook! Marabella Market Caramel scotch bonnet - or as I usually call it - Caramella Market scotch bonnet 😁
Picture shot through the wet window of the propagator...

20220107 104229 DC-LX100M2 23.60mm f8 ISO1600 P1000030.jpg

Some of the seeds are years old already, 2017 or even older I think. I wonder if they will actually germinate...

Last edited:
Back