• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2023/2024, wiicek, Let's Make BalcoJungle!

Hi!
Oh, I love watching that kind of stuff...
I am not too experienced in growing peppers, I used to grow some tomatoes but since I moved out from my family house, I didn't have space to grow anything. I bought allotment garden (I think that's the word, english is not my native language) but I can't seem to find time to care about it full time from march to october, it's not as near my flat as I'd want it to be but maybe one year I will make my life a little bit less messy and take make it work.
Now I live in the apartment with a balcony, it is at western side and in the summer the heat is kinda out of control. I think it will do! Oh, I dream of the jungle here!

This year I bought some chillies from the supermarket and, as I often do, I put some seeds into the ground. Don't know the variety, but I have a picture.

1698848034979.jpg

I don't have one with ripen peppers but it was red. One of them is actually orange, and one (or two - I don't know, it was not fruiting at the same time and I was constantly picking it) are sweet, also supermarket type - one is hanging on the bottom left there. It is 3 liters container and there is 6 of them in it, so harvest was small, but peppers beautiful and tasty. I ate a sauce made out of them already.

So, yea, I kinda wanted more, so, I picked some seeds, bought different types of chillies from supermarket again and gathered some seeds. I know I have a jalapeno, piri-piri and that's it from the names I know, but other than that I have 2 or 4 different types of hot ones (maybe cayenne and serrano) and one sweet one (on the picture), I don't remember if I sow a bell peppers also. I also found some ornamental ones and sow them too:

1700942790578.jpg
1700942790588.jpg

The purple one died after I sprayed all of them with soap - aphids. Orange and yellow are still alive but aphids and soap made them look miserable... But they're coming right back!

1701004761527.jpg
1701004761494.jpg

I don't know if I should take and shower them, they still have white stains from the soap and have sticky places from aphids. I still constantly get rid of them manually, it seems like there is always more to kill but less and less with every day. I do this daily or every other day now.

There are my seedlings!
1700933144521.jpg

They were sow so long ago, from one to two months but they didn't have enought light to grow. I've had them under blue light (grow light with two flexible sticks) but it seemd like it was too weak for them, so I added one with threee sticks and it started to grow rapidly.
1700933144642.jpg
1700933144605.jpg

After watering them and ordering them by height (and two days), the thingy looks like that:
1701007171271.jpg

Yesterday I repotted guys from the first picture earler.

1700933144495.jpg

1700933144702.jpg

It is 3 liters container and there were, ekhem, SEVEN of them in it! I dried them and made my first sauce (and from other chillies I bought for seeds then) and it was amazing! I think some of them are in my fermented sauce also. It was not a big harvest but yea, seven. I did use them good. One pepper is still hanging there, hah. It's a sweet one.
1701004761462.jpg
1700933144428.jpg
1701004761453.jpg
1701004761444.jpg
1701004761437.jpg
1701004761428.jpg
1701004761483.jpg
1701004761418.jpg
1700933144394.jpg

The last one was starting to wilt one week ago, I took it out but it was too late. I had my hopes but it probably is not coming back.

So yea, I have a station with blue (and red turned off) light and above it two one-foot shells which I light up with four (two for each) 2k lumens, 4k kelvins light bulbs. It seems like too much for my eyes but plants like it.

I planted everything into special mix for special plants (Cana terra), they will love it, I'm sure. I water it without fertilizers right now but normally I have my hydroponics mix for tomatoes and for every liter of solution I add half a liter of water because I've read that peppers like less of it. I'm in the middle of making my nettle solution for nitrogen, so they will be happy. For now I let them eat what is in that rich mix.

I am making them a station but for now there is nothing to show.

I LOVE IT! Aphids can f*ck themselves (and they surely do,s all the time, but I am coming for their children with baking soda mix if it will be necessairy), I am rolling now and it's gonna be amazing!

Edit. Oh, I forgot.... I was feeling adventurous and didn't put any labels on my trays, so now it is all the mistery! I really think I was tired and stupid then but it is what it is now, lol.
I bought some Sugar Rush Stripey, Thunder Mountain Longhorn, Fatali Habanero, Aji: Lemon Drop, Pineapple and Melon; and El Oro Equador seeds! Forst three came and are in the mix now, Lemon came with 0 seeds, that was weird, I wrote to the shop but they didn't answer, I bought some more somewhere else.

Let's make BalcoJungle!

Last edited:
Couple of days ago I have made another jar, this time with few big carrots.

It is already eaten by bateria! )image was too big, I had to make a print screen and cut it off of all this beautiful... I don't know what, it looks the same but smaller, phhfff...

20240917_180827 — kopia.jpg

After those dark and cold days here in Poland (rain, flood, alarms, sandbags... wtf is happening) end of season hit me in the brains and I was rethinking this jarmaking. I know Dorsety Naga is the strongest in my collection this year and probably will be for the next few seasons and it was very prolific, very, very prolific... Did I mess up hard?

I've made every jar with it inside. The biggest have way too much to taste anything else. Smaller, I don't even know, it may be also more than few in each of them.

I knew it will probably be mistake, I even said that here, I think, but it just came to haunt me for some time.

But I'm cool. And maybe it won't be that bad. :violin::banghead:

I will have some more peppers now to make jars with only one variety inside, I am a little sad about Peach, because it is my favourite for now, I think. I have to make proper taste trial here of each one of them yet. I am scared of Dorset Nagas and Habaneros but I will do this. Buldok (hot pasta from few posts before) is making me more and more tolerable each time! (the 2xhot is soo hot, 3xhot... I DON'T EVEN KNOW YET!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Today's harvest!
20240918_154513.jpg

They are pale still. Those Ramiros were squeezable ones before, now they are hard but not red, kinda orangy. I picked them tho. Will see what's inside in couple of days, don't wanna cut them just yet.

Stripeys are ripening and now I can see what's what!
20240918_154537.jpg

20240917_180706.jpg
20240917_180559.jpg

The first one is beautiful, I have to give few days to decide about second one and third one (IN THE BIGGEST POD -.-) is making jokes.

And here is Wild Brasil!
20240917_180431.jpg

And Fatali!
20240918_154552.jpg

Maybe it's gonna ripe, we will have some sunny days at the end of september. That's how they forecasted but Who knows...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This came in mail few days ago...
20240918_161239.jpg

I won't say anything about that, don't know how it happened, don't even ask me.

New place is starting to be created for the next season! ~Wohooooou!!!1!!11
20240918_154447.jpg

I'm gonna do some cardboard and foil work today, tomorrow or Idkwhen, make it cleaner and dance like crazy.
Next week I will be sowing some new beauties. Or maybe not next, I can't look at it and not glance on seeds.

IT WILL BE NEXT WEEK.

GRRR.

Sorry that pictures are weird at sides, my phonecase is broken!

Edit. I mean, it's 18th today, I wanted to start sowing at the end of september, beginning of november, so, it's over one week! OMG.

TEN DAYS! 🥺

Last edited:
Red Habanero, Yellow Habanero and Dorset Naga jars!
20240921_143032.jpg

I did taste Dorset Nagas and Habaneros today.

Dorset Naga had this nice flavour, kinda fruity and sweet but obviously it was too hot for me to get more from it. But it was way more interesting that Habaneros, which weren't bad, not as soapy as I was scared it would be but the smell sells it like that.

Will have to wait for those guys to ferment to know whats more to it.

I have so many jars, it's satisfying to look at. Wanted to do some powder but it's still unonown area for me, I did some from sauces last year and it was nice but still a byproduct of sauces and not plenty. Maybe next year I will focus more on that.

It's the beginning of my story, so, I really don't know what is good with and for what, I really appreciate everyones help and wise words here, I did some things different becouse of you and that's awesome.

I have created a post in sauce making place but it didn't get any answers but I managed to make my own decision based on your words and my own thoughts, so, it's cool.

I still have some jalapenos, cayennes and I think those are shishitos to do something with.

17269227212006353168995726525891.jpg

I was calling them Fresnos but those seeds were taken from green shishito I left to ripe last year.

So, I will put Shishitos with Jalapenos and pumpkin into one jar and then Cayennes with pumpkin into second.

I want for more Wild Brasils to ripe, Peaches and Stripeys, so I can make them seperately too.

Last edited:
Aaaand evening Jalapenos, Shishitos and Pumpkin! Two jars with around the same amounts of everything. Ginger, garlic and small amount of mini tomatoes in every jar.

20240921_221529.jpg

They are PACKED.

Ofc with each one I do 4% brine and try to add few spoons of older brine from previous jars.

They smell amazing.

I left cayennes for tomorrow. I don't think any cayenne will ripe in the next few weeks, there are plenty unripen ones hanging on those trees but they are from second flowering and seeing how long it took previous ones to start coloring, I will not see any red there in this season. They are big tho.

I'd make a picture or two but it's dark now and some kids are dancing, singing and laughing under my balcony, I don't want them to think I am a creep and taking pictures. Lol.

And the last one for now.
20240922_160127.jpg

I WILL COUNT THEM NOW!

* 2 x 4l;
* 7 x 0.5l;
* 5 x 0.7l;
* 4 x 0.8l;
* 3 x 0.2l;

21 JARS!

Plus 2 x 0.7l jars of tomatoes from the last year.

And some pods are still hanging there...

This Cayenne I was talking about yesterday:
20240922_120718.jpg

Black Molten
20240922_120737.jpg

Those are PJ Ice, I think:
20240922_120756.jpg

Sunny weather... mmm.
20240922_160158.jpg

20240922_160214.jpg

Attachments

• 20240922_160127.jpg
    20240922_160127.jpg