• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A bad year

I'm starting to think this year is just not my year. Problem after problem .... whine after whine. I'm trying to keep my humor because I know sometimes you draw a bad card. But DANG !! I went out yesterday and saw that most my plants in buckets had dropped a BIG part of their leaves. And the ends had what looks like a chem burn. Thing is I haven't fed them in a several weeks. I was thinking it was about time ..... but instead I flushed everything out. This morning more leaf drop??

The other thing that came to mind was maybe someone close sprayed for weeds. But my beans , lettuce , tomatoes look ok. The only thing I had sprayed was Yield Booster , a product to stop Blossom Rot on tomatoes. My Martino's Romas had a few young fruit showing that. I used a pre-mixed hand spray bottle. So it was kind of hard for me to believe that I got it all over my peppers that are 15' or so away. I misted all the peppers with water until I felt I had washed the leaves off ..... the only thing I could think of.

So here's the pictures ...... any thoughts ?

Peace,
P. Dreadie

DSCF2744.jpg

DSCF2745.jpg

DSCF2747.jpg

DSCF2748.jpg

Hey P. Dreadie, sorry to hear things are not going the way you like. To me they look like they have their feet are wet and causing the problem. How big are your holes on the bottom of your buckets? The bigger the better because that is a lot of soil for those plants and flushing them yesterday only added more water. I'D place them under a shade tree till they recover and not water until they wilt, find a place they like and leave them alone for a while is the best advise I can give.

This might sound dumb but what type of pails are you using? (I see Lowes but what was in them and what is the plastic grade?)

The reason I pose the question is I remember one year leaving a plastic tote out side on the lawn and it appear to burn my grass, everytime I moved the tote the grass would brown, almost as if being burnt. This wasn't the same as leaving a pail on the grass and the grass turns light green/yellowish from lack of sun but burnt. I touched the tote and remember it had an oily feel to its smooth texture.

Could you be getting some form of slow chemical release from the plastic pails?

Sorry to hear and see that PD. The only thing i would imagine it would be is the heat. Are they in full sun all day. We have a heat wave here and i have to soak them almost everyday because the evaporation is tremendous. The plants are doing well with the amount of water i'm giving them. You have a long season and i'm sure they will bounce back. :pray: I can only imagine how strong that sun is in Texas compared to Ontario.

PRF .... the holes are small, 3/8" , but there is more than a dozen. You may have hit the problem ..... I'll let them suckers really dry out.

Burning Colon .... I understand what you're saying , but lots of people are using those Lowes buckets. I'll wait and see.

MH ..... earlier this summer it was crazy hot , but as of late it's been nice. Under 90 degrees.

Thanks everyone & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Ya, I just threw it out there as an option, sounds like you are well experienced in growing peppers and in your area and trying to find out "what have I done differently this year then any other year?" .... and like you said, you could just be having a bad year - like me, my germination year really sucks and I haven't done anything different, so I tried doing the baggie/coffee/heat pad germination thing and it just keeps getting worst.

I agree it probably an overwatering/drainage problem and/or just too much heat, but I'd take one out of the bucket and inspect the roots. If you notice brown or funky roots then I'd treat with H2O2

Get a bigger drill bit about an inch and drill the center of those buckets out, you can still do this just place those containers up high and drill from underneath. I think one big hole is a whole lot better than a bunch of smaller ones which hold water some how, reverse surface tension maybe? Good luck P.

They look water logged to me too. Mix 1/4 cup 3% peroxide per gallon of water and flush them out and then let dry. That should nail the nasties in the soggy zone at the bottom of the bucket. I'd bump the size of 5 or 6 of those wholes around the perimeter to 1 inch first. Hope you get em straightened out.

Hey P.Dreadie, Just to let you know, I had some plants do the same exact thing and looked just like yours and the other guys nailed it. I had too small holes in the bottom of the bucket and their feet was wet. I had drilled a bunch of holes but the dia. was small so it wasn't draining properly. I Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck saving your plants!

Charles

Dark buckets soak up a ton of heat from the sun. I would put a thermometer in the bucket and see how hot it's getting. I think you'll be surprised. I always put 2 inches of gravel in the bottom of my containers. It allows for better drainage and keeps the holes from getting plugged

Well here's where my humor has to kick in ..... I know it must be over watering that's my problem. It's mid-night here and I got woke up by thunder !!! And yes sir it's raining !@@#$#@!!! We're having a flash flood .... 3" of rain so far in the city. The weatherman keeps breaking in ....... we may get a record rain fall....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

A good way to help drain your buckets is to stick a wick in a couple holes.
It acts like a syphon.
I put the pot on a couple 1X2 pieces of wood and let the wick(mop string or cotton cord) touch the ground.
It wicks out all the water pretty well.
I also think holes in the bottom work better on the sides of the bucket for some reason rather than the bottom.
Most of my Nusery pots,#15, have holes in the bottom sides rather than only on the bottom of the bucket.
I'd go with 1/2-3/4 inch holes too.

They said we got 5" to 8" of rain , depending on what side of the city you live in, in 4 hours. A new record for a one day rain for this date. More to come later today and tomorrow. Well ... at least I don't have to water my lawn. And there wasn't any hail .... so that's a positive thing.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back