• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding A couple of C.chinense hybrids

In the first half of this year I crosspollinated some C.chinense plants.
In the first experiment Pimenta Biquinho de Bico was a mother plant

and father plant was Pink Habanero.

In the second experiment Pimenta Biquinho de Bico was a father plant and Rocotillo (C.chinense) was a mother plant.

On the 3d October first seeds of the both hybrids germinated.
After a month they looked so:

After 40 days from germinating Pimenta Biquinho de Bico X Pink Habanero plant looked so:

43 days passed & man could see a first rudiment of a bud at that plant:

On the 22d November 4 bud rudiments appeared on the Rocotillo X Pimenta_Biquinho de Bico plant:

December 2 Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho de Bico's 1st flower opening began:

At the same time Pimenta Biquinho de Bico X Pink Habanero first buds looked so:

On the 9th December Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho de Bico's first fruit forming began:

Three days later the first pod began forming at Pimenta Biquinho de Bico X Pink Habanero:

Nowadays the pods of my hybrids look so:
-- Pimenta Biquinho X Pink Habanero

-Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho de Bico

P.S. Both hybrid plants have been growing indoor under HPS 250W lamp.

You have taken informative photographs to another level. Interesting pods......how is the taste?
Don't know yet. ;)
If my hybrid fruits inherited Pimenta Biquinho rapid maturation so I hope I will perform their taste test in a couple of weeks.

Nice crisp pictures and some interesting crosses I will be looking forward to seeing what pods will develop

Interesting f1s. If you're going to breed theses right you'll likely have your hands very full with tonnes of f2s next seaon
I've heard the variety called Biquino or de Bico(birds beak) but never both. Also called chupetinha(little rubber nipple)

Interesting f1s. If you're going to breed theses right you'll likely have your hands very full with tonnes of f2s next seaon
Are you sure that F2 hybrids will give so large yields? I've read that only 25% of F2 hybrids will look like F1 ones and other 75% will look like parent plants. I'm not a biologist so maybe I'm wrong. What do you think about it?
I've heard the variety called Biquino or de Bico(birds beak) but never both. Also called chupetinha(little rubber nipple)
Mabe I'm wrong and the real name of this cultivar is just Pimenta Biquinho or simply Chupetinha, but when I'd received its seeds last year I googled the inet and one of replies was Pimenta Biquinho de Bico. But right now I can't find that link.

I'm not saying anything about large yields with f2s, I'm saying you should ideally grow out tonnes of f2 plants to get a good selection to start from. When growing only a few plant, the odds are drastically against you when it comes to breeding and especially with the f2s.
Rarely do any f2 plants look like the f1 since the f1 shows no recessive traits(Grandparent plants etc.), only dominant genes from 2 parent plants.

... I've read that the Biquino and Chupetinha are the same, just different names.
There are two different Biquinho/Chupetinha cultivars with very high and very low (or no heat att all in my case) heat level. Pimenta Biquinho is a very popular cultivar in Brasil (especially Belo Horizonte state) nowadays. As far as I know brasilians used to drink beer with Pimenta Biquinho's fruits. :eek: :)

WOW, nice job with the pics and crosses. Looks like a real nice project to follow. I'll be looking for future updates on this one. If you ever want to play with the supers just let me know.

Fantastic work and I too will be looking forward to your future grow tests :whistle:
There are two different Biquinho/Chupetinha cultivars with very high and very low (or no heat att all in my case) heat level. Pimenta Biquinho is a very popular cultivar in Brasil (especially Belo Horizonte state) nowadays. As far as I know brasilians used to drink beer with Pimenta Biquinho's fruits. :eek: :)
Whats wrong with Beer drinking :beer: It works with Germans and Wisconsinites ;)

Thanks for the info, looking forward too grow both varieties :)

The first pod of the Rocotillo X Pimenta Biquinho hybrid has begun changing its colour. Now it's orange:

The first ripe fruit at one of my hybrids:

It took it 100 days to become ripe. Not bad for C. chinense pepper, isn't it?

Back