• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

That's an awesome price for a 120qt. It's nice if you have the room to store and carry it but the smaller ones work just as well. 

Vac packed will work and keep the water out of the bags. I would get 2 of those cheap styro coolers and use them together, make sure you keep it out of the sun or covered with a blanket and sprinkle salt on the ice when you replace the ice. I would also punch a drain hole in the cooler to let the melted ice/water out, that's what melts ice faster than just ice.

Good Luck on the trip!

Rajun Gardener said:
That's an awesome price for a 120qt. It's nice if you have the room to store and carry it but the smaller ones work just as well. 

Vac packed will work and keep the water out of the bags. I would get 2 of those cheap styro coolers and use them together, make sure you keep it out of the sun or covered with a blanket and sprinkle salt on the ice when you replace the ice. I would also punch a drain hole in the cooler to let the melted ice/water out, that's what melts ice faster than just ice.

Good Luck on the trip!
Ty,

I ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DH4LT/

Great price and more than enough capacity.  Igloo claims 5 days of Ice retention, as opposed to Coleman's 3 day claim for this one, but Igloo models that I looked at didn't have a drainage hole, and I don't mind adding or replacing ice a few times.   I'm not keeping it with me outside in the sun.  It is staying inside the hotel room and I'll be adding my catch at the end of the day.

Hopefully, I'll have lots of pictures to add next week!

I've been through  many of those coolers and if they haven't made a change to the lid I can tell you it won't hold ice for 3 days, maybe inside a hotel room with the A/C set at 50.

The problem with that model is the lid is hollow plastic so I would drill 3/8" holes all around the inside and fill it with a can of non expanding spray foam. It would stiffen the lid and add more insulation.

HA! A quick YouTube search.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF-qvVr6JCA

Cold front finally coming in next week.

Might get down to the 70's.

My Tenkara rod and flies are ready.

The bluegills and cichlids have been taunting me.

All summer.

No more.

I have tartar sauce.

Hot sauce.

Cast iron.

And tortilla's ready for your asses now!

Size 18 Griffiths Gnat.

On 5X tippet.

No mercy!

I have two huge tackle boxes filled with hundreds of dollars’ worth of lures, yet I catch these with worms.

The skinny one is a Pickerel which is what I’m mainly targeting. The other is a Yellow perch. Both are delicious!

I'll post a review of my cooler at the end of the week.  For now, the vacuum-sealed fish are sharing space inside the Coleman with 64 pounds of ice.

JCROPP5.jpg

This is the lake where I’ve been fishing all day.  The scenery as well as the physical characteristics of the water changes throughout the seasons.  This is the most beautiful time of the year.

dwewCbj.jpg

Another Pickerel and three Pumpkinseed sunfish.  I finally put a lure to use.  I caught the Pickerel with my favorite Cotton Cordell Wally Diver. 

wqKaCCg.jpg

Beauties.  I need to get out before the cold weather comes.  No yellow perch or pickerel here but we've got lots of crappie, bluegills, redears and green sunfish to tangle with.    

Cold front came in last night.

Todays high was 78.

Supposed to be back in the low 90's for a coupla' days.

And then another cold front this weekend.

Once it stays in the 70's or lower.

I'll be fishing.

Catching.

And eating.

I am dying for a fried bluegill sammich.

No skimping on the lemon.

Squeezin's n' pleasin's.

Hotness.

And tartar sauce.

The bluegills here in the San Gabriel.

Are just begging for it!

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tough conditions on the lake:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I fished in a steady rain all day. Still beats working. [/SIZE]

sOQopz7.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]Normally this 14-inch Largemouth bass would have been a keeper, but Bass are strictly catch-and-release in the private lake, so it got to live another day.[/SIZE]

b8y1Eik.jpg

I can’t properly review the cooler, as I added ice each night. Here is the story:

The thing holds between 7-8 bags (seven to eight pounds) of ice.

After the first catch, I added too much ice before putting the vacuum-sealed bags in. I wasn’t comfortable with the amount of ice that I was able to put on top of the bags.  After the second day’s catch, I knocked a lot of ice out, placed the bags on top and put new ice on top.  To a lesser extent, I ended up doing the same thing the next two nights.  

The first two nights that I opened the drain, only a small amount (I estimate around ½ cup) of water drained out.  After the third night, several cups drained.  I’m not sure if this was due to that day being warmer, or maybe a lot of the bottom ice had melted.  By the time I got home the next day, the fish were fine – not freezer quality cold, but safe.  I know that the process was enough to retard spoilage, as I’ve since frozen, thawed, and cooked some Pickerel – they were fresh and delicious. See:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52457-wild-game-or-fish/?p=1656753

I’ve got the fever so I may not be done fishing for the season.  For now, enjoy some beautiful lakeside scenery:

G8T6lIS.jpg

Sk2aWPg.jpg

WVJIJHc.jpg

sRjZqpM.jpg

RRgKG6F.jpg

OCqD0nU.jpg

lI3r297.jpg

KLboAwP.jpg

Back