• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Catches from my favorite pier, The Gulf State Park Pier in Gulf Shores AL.

ewFmEd6.jpg

yVxIYOZ.jpg

mUInO67.jpg

7xReVcB.jpg

2Xz3Yk8.jpg

f8bv8qf.jpg

5fEYUJb.jpg

8Aw48Yr.jpg

dbkheUw.jpg

svNQJTU.jpg

ChileRelleno said:
It is a Golden Rainbow, a hybrid that is stocked.

We visit my wife's sister in NE PA, she lives in a nice cabin right on Bushkill Creek which is an awesome trout stream.
Not an actual hybrid but a color variant of a Rainbow Trout. In the link you provided it looks like the young man in one of the photos is holding a stocked Tiger Trout which is indeed an intergeneric hybrid between a Brook Trout(char) and a Brown Trout. The state has ceased stocking them but there are clubs that still do. I was lucky enough to catch a streambred tiger a few years ago which is a once in a lifetime occurrence. More and more of the natural hybrids are being caught every year with browns invading headwater streams but it's still extremely rare.

My 2019 Fishing season ended in October.  The total count was a little disappointing, but I only took two upstate fishing trips.  Total count = 50:

Blowfish - technically "Northern puffers" 31
Bluegill 1
Largemouth Bass 1
Pickerel 4
Pumpkinseed Sunfish 5
Sea Robin 6
Yellow Perch 2

I may land a few Largemouth Bass when I'm in Florida in two weeks.  I should be back to the upstate N.Y. Lakes in early May.  The lakes usually thaw by the second week in April, but it is too frustrating to have too throw back Pickerel, so I won't go until at least May 2nd,when the season starts.   If it is still too cold then, I'll wait a week or two.  I look forward to sharing more pictures.

ChilleRelleno,

Off topic, but I don't have anyone else to ask. Some 30 years ago or better, we used to go to a place called the "Floribama Bar" somewhere outside Gulf Shores and we could get cocktails via a "drive up" window. Ever heard of that or know if it still exists? 

Not to de-rail the thread, your fish look awesome.

Thanks and apologies in advance.

Reggie

WarrantMan said:
ChilleRelleno,

Off topic, but I don't have anyone else to ask. Some 30 years ago or better, we used to go to a place called the "Floribama Bar" somewhere outside Gulf Shores and we could get cocktails via a "drive up" window. Ever heard of that or know if it still exists? 

Not to de-rail the thread, your fish look awesome.

Thanks and apologies in advance.

Reggie
The FloriBama is still there... Hell, it's world famous... Infamous.. Whatever.
No more drive thru daquiris or other such.

Does anybody here travel with a portable freezer to store fish in?  I threw out my 48 quart cooler.  It works for 3-4 day fishing trips, but I'm getting spoiled and entitled in my old age and don't want to have to deal with filling and adding ice, as well as worrying about melting and replenishing on hot days.

I'm looking at stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Aspenora-Refrigerator-30-Quart-Portable-Compressor/dp/B07ZNNQ16M/

Can I assume that if I have a super trip and land 35 fish, (Pickerel, Yellow Perch and assorted Panfish) they will all fit (just gutted with the heads cut off) in something this size?

Does anybody here have something they can recommend for my needs?  Need to be able to plug in the hotel room as well as cigarette lighter port of car.

Ty 

Dragon49,
Yes, I've got an Engel 22 qt., similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Portable-Tri-Voltage-Fridge-Freezer/dp/B00509UII0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=engel+travel+freezer&qid=1583212394&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

It does work well, but there are some drawbacks. First of all, it is heavy to begin with. Add in a bunch of fish, and old age, and you'll need some help getting from car to hotel room.

It takes a while to get cold, and every time you crack the lid, you lose a lot of your cold momentum. Before you start adding fish, it had better already be pre-chilled. And filled with ice blocks (something like a few zip-locks filled with water. As non-frozen fish go in, ice blocks come out.

Overall, if you are doing all of your cleaning at the hotel, and can pre-chill at the hotel, then these work fairly well. If you plan on leaving this plugged into your CIG lighter on hot days for several hours while you are out fishing, then expect a dead battery when you return. You just gotta do your math for your situation.

fishhead said:
Dragon49,
Yes, I've got an Engel 22 qt., similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Portable-Tri-Voltage-Fridge-Freezer/dp/B00509UII0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=engel+travel+freezer&qid=1583212394&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

It does work well, but there are some drawbacks. First of all, it is heavy to begin with. Add in a bunch of fish, and old age, and you'll need some help getting from car to hotel room.

It takes a while to get cold, and every time you crack the lid, you lose a lot of your cold momentum. Before you start adding fish, it had better already be pre-chilled. And filled with ice blocks (something like a few zip-locks filled with water. As non-frozen fish go in, ice blocks come out.

Overall, if you are doing all of your cleaning at the hotel, and can pre-chill at the hotel, then these work fairly well. If you plan on leaving this plugged into your CIG lighter on hot days for several hours while you are out fishing, then expect a dead battery when you return. You just gotta do your math for your situation.

Fishhead,

I clean at the lake and then drive back to the hotel with the gutted fish in my bucket along with lake water for cooling.  I'm never more than 20-25 minutes away from the hotel, so I'm not worried about spoilage.  I plan to leave the freezer plugged in,inside my room, and chilled to the desired temperature.  I don't think I have to worry about draining the car battery with the car running for my 2 and a half hour drive home.

I'm also worried about weight, as the 30 quart version of what I was looking at is 34.6 pounds, without any fish!  At this point, I'm wondering if I can get away with a smaller unit.  

How many Panfish (8-15 inches) can you fit in your 22 quart Engel?

Ty

Back