• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Not exactly my same use for the unit, but I bet you could get around 50 or so in there.  Probably more if you fillet and vacuum seal. 

But, don't underestimate how long this thing will take to bring a bunch of fish down to freezing temperature unless you pre-chill in ice water or pre-freeze in the hotel.  Stuff will get cold on bottom, but too much fish on top will be insulated from coils.  Not trying to discourage you, but like I said, you just have to do the math (and physics) for your purposes.  Would probably be fine on light or moderate catch days, but, you could get into trouble on a big haul day.  Getting home with a freezer of rotting fish would not be a good end to a successful trip.  Just my $0.02.......

fishhead said:
Not exactly my same use for the unit, but I bet you could get around 50 or so in there.  Probably more if you fillet and vacuum seal. 

But, don't underestimate how long this thing will take to bring a bunch of fish down to freezing temperature unless you pre-chill in ice water or pre-freeze in the hotel.  Stuff will get cold on bottom, but too much fish on top will be insulated from coils.  Not trying to discourage you, but like I said, you just have to do the math (and physics) for your purposes.  Would probably be fine on light or moderate catch days, but, you could get into trouble on a big haul day.  Getting home with a freezer of rotting fish would not be a good end to a successful trip.  Just my $0.02.......
I vacuum seal but don't fillet.

I appreciate your warnings, but after I decide on a size, I'm going to go the portable freezer route.  I need to upgrade last season's cooler solution.  Was too time-consuming and too much of a pain in the ass to have to first fill with ice, then every day have to worry about how much ice melted, then have to add some ice every night and drain the water.  This will eventually be a money-saver, as I won't have to spend so much money on ice each trip.

Not going fishing until May 2nd, so I have some time to decide on a purchase.  I'll let everybody know how it went after that trip.

Ty.

went to a bowl game in mobile alabama  in january, ate at the flying biscuit place and fished the gulf state pier .... 

this drum fell for a piece of squid

Attachments

• IMG_0389.PNG
    IMG_0389.PNG
    809.9 KB · Views: 106
fishhead said:
Sho thang. Let us know how it works out, and any pitfalls.
Changed my mind - many online folks, as well as the owner of my local bait and tackle store told me to get a Yeti instead.  Any recommendations for a specific model?

I ended up getting this model:

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/hard-coolers/tundra-45-cooler/10045190000.html

I called Yeti directly for advice on a model to fit my needs.  I spoke to a guy named Ben who was very helpful.  He spoke to me at length and was very knowledgeable. Once he knew my needs, he didn't try to upsell me a more expensive model.   I normally buy stuff from Amazon these days, but purchased directly from Yeti for a few reasons:

1 - I wanted to support them more, (Amazon takes a cut of profits) since the sales rep was so helpful.
2 - Amazon's description of the product clearly stated that it was coming for a "Yeti Authorized" dealer - not Yeti itself.  Since this is a little pricey, I wanted to be 100% certain this was coming directly from the source.  

I still prefer Amazon for almost everything.  If something is defective, or if a third-party seller tries screwing me, I'll always get my money back.  Since the Yeti sales representative was so professional, I'm not worried about the transaction at all.

Not at all intended to make light of the current situation, as more important things are going on, but I am indeed praying that on May 2nd, Hertz, my hotel, and the upstate boat rental place will be open.  If so, I'll have lots of beautiful fish pictures and lakeside scenery pics to share here.

Haven't taken many pictures so far this year because we haven't really caught much worth bragging about. However, we hope to get out more soon.

We generally target bowfin. They aren't exactly good eating, but they are probably the meanest fish in Ohio. I've lost untold amounts of tackle on them, as the hook demonstrates (that was MAYBE a 2# bowfin and they get significantly bigger). Any fish that can fight that hard is worth pursuing in our books.

Our neatest catch while fishing this year wasn't even a fish. It was a pair of queen snakes that the kids loved playing with. We released them the next day.

Attachments

• 20200406_152036.jpg
    20200406_152036.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200405_211627.jpg
    20200405_211627.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 2775.jpeg
    2775.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 2786.jpeg
    2786.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 103
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
now that is really creative. did you find the plans online or come up with that yourself? either way it`s very nice!!!
Myself. They have some awesome looking ones online, but I went simple. All said and done under $50. Beats hundreds for rails and racks.

Pariah said:
Myself. They have some awesome looking ones online, but I went simple. All said and done under $50. Beats hundreds for rails and racks.
very nice. my bro has 2 kayaks and complained about how awkward it was strapping them down on the roof of his car. i`ll send him a link to this thread.  :cheers:  

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
very nice. my bro has 2 kayaks and complained about how awkward it was strapping them down on the roof of his car. i`ll send him a link to this thread.  :cheers:
There are lots of plans online, but most assume you have rails on your roof. I had to improvise and I believe I'm going to alter my design the next time I go to Lowes. I don't like how high the base is. It creates a weak spot in the middle. I might either shore it up with an extra foot for support or simply lower it so it can't flex as much. As with any new design, there is always room for improvement. I'll send you a PM to a really nice, albeit complex design, I found.

Back