A Short Run of 'pain'

Well I've been dabbling with my sauce making for a little while & after passing 'not hot enough' & too complicated to make consistently & 'F* that, toss it' - I've hit on a recipe that has most who've tried it asking for more. The 'nerd pain'.

It's time for me to make a short run of 100 bottles.

1. Is that name too silly to put on a label? maybe pyro-nerd..or something else all together. -*I will be keeping the 'pain' bit for this specific sauce ;)* - I probably should be thinking about starting a brand now too. Any suggestions?

2. I've sourced 100 bottles & caps for a great price. Whats the go with labels...can I do them off my home printer and somehow stick them on or do I need something special. I was a printer/plate maker/touch up artist in one of my previous 92 career moves so give it to me straight.

3. I plan to start selling down at the local farmers markets alongside the Jam makers, this should be ok with any health regs...right? I'll have a range of pepper seedlings there to sell too at the same table.

4. When the brand name is worked out,I'm also going to need a brand logo & a specific label art for 'pain' - I'll throw that open to the many capable graphic artists & the artistic enthusiasts here when the details are sorted.

Any advice appreciated
I'll sign & number the first 20 bottles to share amongst the best responses & logo/label designs, along with a standard bottle to consume.

thanks

~bentalphanerd

bentalphanerd said:
Thanks so much for checking it out Pam, results sound encouraging like I've been hearing here.
I've spent the last few days cruising Asian supermarkets trying to find what I thought were common ingredients. I found enough of what I need, but in small quantity packages, not bulk.
The end result may be 10 to 12 $US per bottle including postage. Is that out of reach or should I keep hunting for cheaper ingredients.

Oh...and who's up for doing some artwork?

What do you want? What do you need? When do you need it?
Shoot me a PM if you need some graphics help.

Bent, as always you are an inspiration man. Doing up the fix on last weeks sauce as I type. So far, so good...although my gal is complaining a little about the hab ozone permuating the house...
Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Bent, as always you are an inspiration man. Doing up the fix on last weeks sauce as I type. So far, so good...although my gal is complaining a little about the hab ozone permuating the house...
Cheers, TB.

Dont tell me she's inhibiting your artistic ability :rolleyes: :lol:

bentalphanerd said:
*Ouch* now thats painful. How about behind the name a picture of an evil nerd with flames reflecting in his thick lensed nerd glasses?

I like that.

Maybe he could be punching the evil secret recipe into his Palm Pilot.

Or, maybe, since it is Nerd Pain, a Red Savina could be giving him an atomic wedgie or some other abuse that's traditionally heaped on nerds. Maybe the Red Savina could be putting a "Kick Me" sign on his back.

Or is all that too busy for a label?

On the price, how big is the bottle? Maybe we could compare it to some of the quality sauces here in the US. I have no idea what a really good hot sauce would cost here.

Going High-Tech now...I doodled this today after a beer or 3...yes & a few whiskeys :P:

sketch_SML.JPG

Kind of a skull with nerd glasses, eventually just a black line drawing, or maybe red skull with black rimmed glasses, flames reflected in the lenses. Trying to bend the jaw line to give an evil grin.
Do like the idea of an evil nerd. :cool:

Could add a collar from a white lab coat and a few beakers if it looks too sparse.

bentalphanerd said:
Going High-Tech now...I doodled this today after a beer or 3...yes & a few whiskeys :P:

label_SML.JPG

Kind of a skull with nerd glasses, eventually just a black line drawing, or maybe red skull with black rimmed glasses, flames reflected in the lenses. Trying to bend the jaw line to give an evil grin.
Do like the idea of an evil nerd. :cool:

Could add a collar from a white lab coat and a few beakers if it looks too sparse.
i know im new here, so im sure i missed something, but im just curious, why are you so set on this nerd theme?
i don't get it.....

Sauceman said:
i know im new here, so im sure i missed something, but im just curious, why are you so set on this nerd theme?
i don't get it.....

Mostly because I am an unabashed nerd Sauceman. I turn nerd in everything I do. In this case its concealing the heat of the peppers in a rich flavored sauce through some Asian ingredients & a very tasty French fruit dessert. ??
I've had my 'bentalphanerd' nic all over the internet for 5 or 6 years .... more people know me as 'nerd' than my real name & I know thats a good thing :lol:

I think the word instills both familiar complacency & a little dread & fear..good angles for a hot sauce.

AlphaNerdZ i already own the name for {from a lame business proposal} ...so very handy to use.

add a plastic pocket protector!

I would suggest not naming the sauce something that suggests excessive heat levels. I made sauces for a farmers market some years ago and named the range 'F...ing Hot Sauce', I told everyone it was Flaming Hot Sauce. the casual users of hot sauces that frequent these markets were put off by the name as they thought it would be too hot for their sensitive palates.

I used to sell hab powder, $2 for a small bag. I remember one person saying to her friend whilst standing in front of me "I'm thinking of buying that for 'so-and-so'", I said "For only two dollars, why don't you?" she didn't

I guess the point I am trying to make is that most of the potential customers you will encounter at these events are the type who say "oh yes, I like chile, I'm a big fan of sweet chile sauce!" you see what I mean?

if you are offering tastings I'm sure you will make plenty of sales! best of luck dude!

ps - why not print up labels drawn in pencil? just make sure you don't use papery labels, use the shiny ones as the others will get moist and dissolve in the fridge.

Thanks chilliman64 & welcome back :)

I'll probably only have 20 or so bottles at the markets alongside a heat range of pepper seedlings from Jalo's to Bhuts {i think they're going to be more popular}

I will have taste testing of the sauce.

yeah I only get on here once or twice a week and I was at the in-laws virtually all weekend, working in their garden - no they don't have chile plants, but they will soon. I've convinced them they need some Cayennes in their vegie patch!

umm flogged the b&w pic from google image search & paintbucket on Photoshop did the rest.
It may be a little too lame.
I have a better skull pic to use, but can't get my act together enough to add glasses yet.

Back