• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2011 Season Start...

After cutting them back how often did you water inside while they were dormant?

Zero...they got watered before going in which was about the last week of November and again today when I saw growth...so 7 or 8 weeks without water....

Planted another 576 today...

some of them came from fresh pods...really...pod to germination media...

011911a003.jpg

011911a004.jpg

and my best friend in the world, Roscoe...he is getting to be an old man...almost 12 and I have had him since he was 10 weeks old...

011911a007.jpg

anyone ever read "A Dogs Purpose"?

Those are what I call fresh seeds! Your Friend looks like a wise ol' soul AJ. I bet he could tell some stories bout you ;)

Looking good as always AJ. Fresh seed always germinates well. :) I've been silent on the front lately. I'm lagging behind on my seed starting this year. I'll jump on the horse soon. I've just had my mind on other things. Nothing is better than seeing the first green 'hook' pop up of the new season!!!

Chris

Those are what I call fresh seeds! Your Friend looks like a wise ol' soul AJ. I bet he could tell some stories bout you ;)

yup...as fresh as you can get....my friend has goes everywhere with us when we travel...Linda calls him "Best In Car"...ah, the stories we could tell..
Looking good as always AJ. Fresh seed always germinates well. :) I've been silent on the front lately. I'm lagging behind on my seed starting this year. I'll jump on the horse soon. I've just had my mind on other things. Nothing is better than seeing the first green 'hook' pop up of the new season!!!

Chris

Sure do hope they germinate well...I need every plant I can muster this year...

I have not doubt that you will get on that horse and ride it hard and fast when you get started Chris...

Amen to the first hook...

I didn't know you could do that. I always thought you had to dry seeds out before planting them.

So I can harvest a ripe pod off a plant and deseed it and plant the seeds straight away?

Now I think about it, it stands to reason, when a pod is ripped up by a bird or falls off a plant into the dirt the seeds need to be ready to go.

I will try that as soon as some pods ripen this season. :dance:

don't know, first time for planting fresh seeds...

got another 576 planted so that brings my total to 32 trays...season total seeds planted so far is 2304.

here is this weeks project...gotta make more room for my seedlings...after using this for the seedlings, it will then be used for 16 of the overwintered Scorpion plants in 10 gallon smart pots...I am gonna give these babies plenty of room to spread and grow nice and big and produce a lot.....or at least that is the plant...the 6 mil visquene cover for it will be replaced with some sort of light transmissive cloth to isolate all of these plants...

PVCGreenhouse22January2011.jpg

Great looking dog! I saw him in some of the terrace creation photos. Never read A Dogs Purpose , good read? Do you get faster/higher germination rate with seeds right out of a pod?

http://io9.com/5738164/how-to-publish-your-book-on-amazon-kindle

AJ, I still think that if you ever decide to write a book, you're going to have a bunch of sales.
Especially with that link above, you can pretty much publish straight to the Amazon website and not have to worry about shopping for a publisher and whatnot.
Every year I look forward with great anticipation to what you're doing, and every year it just keeps getting better and better.
I mean it, bro, you're an inspiration.

Great looking dog! I saw him in some of the terrace creation photos. Never read A Dogs Purpose , good read? Do you get faster/higher germination rate with seeds right out of a pod?

thanks lnf..yup, if you are a dog lover and can, read this book...it is told from a dogs point of view and will bring the total gamut of emotions to you....

don't know about the fresh pod seeds, never done it before...will definitely let you know...

http://io9.com/5738164/how-to-publish-your-book-on-amazon-kindle

AJ, I still think that if you ever decide to write a book, you're going to have a bunch of sales.
Especially with that link above, you can pretty much publish straight to the Amazon website and not have to worry about shopping for a publisher and whatnot.

Every year I look forward with great anticipation to what you're doing, and every year it just keeps getting better and better.
I mean it, bro, you're an inspiration.

Thanks for the link Sd...I have thought about it but don't think I know enough yet...still learning...

I also look forward to my projects...I posted on facebook the other morning that

"The old saying, "An idol mind is the Devil's workshop" isn't always true.

In my case, An Idol Mind increases the Engineer's Creative Power."

turning red-faced here Sd...man, I am just an interested pepper gardener...these things simply amaze me and I can't get enough of information about them in my head...I read every day something about peppers whether it is growing them, the actual mechanical processes going on in them, how to use them...man the list goes on and on...

Man AJ you really give a young gun something to strive for, i'm humbled to be here! Rock on look forward to those puppies go on sale, I'm going to have a late start this year so hopefully i can get some babies that will put off some fruit during the crawfish season! take care man and keep on keeping on!

T.Skunk!

Wow! This is the first time i've browsed through this thread and i have to say that i am thoroughly impressed!

And inspired to step my pepper growing game up too!

Thanks for showing us how it's done AJ.

dvg

Man AJ you really give a young gun something to strive for, i'm humbled to be here! Rock on look forward to those puppies go on sale, I'm going to have a late start this year so hopefully i can get some babies that will put off some fruit during the crawfish season! take care man and keep on keeping on!

I, sometimes am not a good example... :lol: ... but thanks man...the plants will be ready sometime about the middle to end of March...

Wow! This is the first time i've browsed through this thread and i have to say that i am thoroughly impressed!

And inspired to step my pepper growing game up too!

Thanks for showing us how it's done AJ.

dvg

thanks dvg but remember, this is not HOW it is done, this is just how I do it...

OK...decided this morning when I got up at 3am to think and get ready for the day...got a gig at the Elephant from 2-6 this afternoon which is always fun during the Fort Worth Stock Show...may even get a little advertising in while I am there...

so....I decided to transplant my first overwintered Trinidad Scorpion plant...sure hoping it produces like my orange hab did two years ago...three now I reckon...

this is a pictorial tour of what I did...

Pulled the plant out of the 5 gallon container...it is totally rootbound with the roots growing around the sides of the container...this action is a limiting factor for the size and production of the plant...

012311a003.jpg

you can't really tell, but I have cut a slice out of the rootball like a piece of cake to show the "rootboundness" of the plant...

012311a005.jpg

then I completely cut the rootball down...

012311a008.jpg

then I "fluffed" the roots up...if you are gentle with the roots now that they are exposed, root growth stimulation will occur...(that is my opinion, I have not done any reasearch to confirm/deny it)..these roots are very healthy and have a nice white color to them...unhealthy roots will be darker in color and if you can "slip the skin" down on your roots that is a sign of root rot...

012311a009.jpg

I had a solution of 8-14-9 for aftrican violets and sat the rootball in it...I figured it was time to jump start the growth on this baby...

012311a011.jpg

I prepped my 1 gallon self-watering container...

012311a012.jpg

made up an aggressive formula of Botanicare Pro-Gro 3-2-4....

012311a016.jpg

and just for preventative measures, I sprayed the whole plant down with this natural insecticide...even the soil and pot...everything got a good coat of it...

012311a018.jpg

and now she is at home under 3K lumens/ft2...

012311a019.jpg

and this is what I told the plant after this ordeal was over...

rest easy baby, I tried to be as gentle as I could, but I had to cause you a little pain by trimming your roots a little...please forgive me and grow strong and tall this season and produce lots and lots of pods...if you do, you MAY get a chance next year...but if you don't, remember this...I brought you into this world and I can take you out just the same...

I knew I wasn't the only one who talked to his plants. But does anyone else rig up a surround sound system to play their plants a selection of Mozart?

Back